Out of those three, I'd go with the 3AT.
This is a discussion on Back up gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What to carry as a backup? I've narrowed it down to either a P3AT, PF9 or LCP. Any comments welcomed. Thanks....
What to carry as a backup? I've narrowed it down to either a P3AT,
PF9 or LCP. Any comments welcomed. Thanks.
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
YOU MIGHT WANT TO PASS THIS ON, AS MANY SEEM TO FORGET BOTH OF THEM.
Out of those three, I'd go with the 3AT.
"Just blame Sixto"
PF9 9mm ammo is cheaper and it's a 9mm
"Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
--Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .
Out of those two I only have experience with the P3AT but no complaints about it so far. Don't even notice it in the pocket. I think Ruger still needs some time working the kinks out of the LCP. OMO
By the way, I like your signature there!
-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith
lcp with a carry clip dissapears anywhere
The little Kel-Tec 380 has worked for me for years. I have two of them. The only thing that's even tried to catch up with it is an imitation made by Ruger and they don't seem to be finding them that easy to copy. A recent survey shows about 70 % of them are working fine so far but the people with the other 30% are not happy.
It's an ongoing poll...can't remember if this forum or another. The kel-Tec company has worked all the bugs out by now.
One thing is: keep it clean! These little guns need to be carefully cleaned and fed rounds that really kick the action into cycling. Present favorite is Double Tap with the FMJ instead of the HP but Remington Golden Sabers also work well.
Customer service is the best anywhere.
What is your main carry gun ?
I'd go with a BUG in the same caliber and same operating procedures (if available).
If you need to fall back on the BUG, chances are you'll be in high stress condition and will not have a lot of time to think about the operation of the BUG.
I don't carry one ... if I did it would be a revolver .38 +P or .357.
The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
The second rule: "Bring enough gun"
jfl (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)
My next gun purchase will be a P3AT.
I have all three. I carry my P3AT as backup and PF9 as one of my primary carry guns.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.
I would carry the biggest caliber backup gun that is practical for you to carry.
If you actually have to use a backup gun, its because you are in a world of hurt.
You have lost your primary, shot it dry,have a malfunction or any multitude of things that could render it useless.
You will need the backup to keep you alive. Would you rather use a mouse caliber when things go south, or use a caliber that is a known stopper? Even then success is not guaranteed, but it only makes sense to stack the odds in your favor.
I want to have a job where the is no accountability,a job where I can do as I dang well please and make my own laws and act like a KING. I want to be on the Supreme Court.
AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
I would go with the P3AT.
Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
NRA Life Member
It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!
Out of the three originally posted, I'd take the LCP. Obviously I favor the Ruger products, but for good reason.
I personally have found the P3AT to be unreliable. It seems to be picky about ammo and grip position, not something that I want to be worried about in a time of stress. To be fair, many small autos have the same problem, But IMHO to a lesser degree.
Whatever you pick, make sure it is 110% reliable. Shoot it enough to know.
Sure I would. I still have the one I bought my wife. When they are ready to do the recall on my gun, they will send me the box. Hasn't stopped either of us from shooting it; Whatever safety they install is no replacement for being responsible.
If it is handled like the way the SR9 recall was handled, they will have the gun back before you miss it. Yes, I went through that one too.
You can't fault Ruger for a heightened level of responsibility, it just how they are. Have a Ruger Single Six from the early 50's? Even if you bought it at a gunshow from a guy that fished it out of a pond, they will update it for free.
Any gun has the potential to fire if dropped or mishandled.