Speed strips

Speed strips

This is a discussion on Speed strips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This may sound stupid, but does anyone carry 5 rounds in a speed strip for a 5-shot revolver? Is there any drawbacks to having the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed strips

Speed strips

This may sound stupid, but does anyone carry 5 rounds in a speed strip for a 5-shot revolver? Is there any drawbacks to having the extra round? I'm new to the speed strip, having always used hks speedloaders, but they certainly are easier to carry.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    When I see pictures of others, they always seem to carry 3, space, 2. But I always carry 6 and practice loading by 2's which leaves an extra round per strip (I carry two plus what's loaded) and an extra round doesn't hurt and it doesn't get in the way.

Yes, I'm one. Loading 5 instead of 6 was suggested by Mas Ayoob when I took his LFI-1 course, and the advantage is that it gives your fingers a bit more purchase on the strip. Chances are you'll be reloading for an urgent reason, and the 6th round for a 5-shot just slows you down.

Get some dummy rounds or snap caps and practice, practice, practice.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I guess I can see the logic of 5 but for me it make me fumble with the three becasue I had to load 2, then 1, then the last 2.

Anyhow, he's right, bottom line is practice, practice, practice. And then practice some more with your eyes up, looking in the direction of the threat....

Fun!

Also Dillion Precision sells a nice case to hold one speed strip on your belt. I'ts pretty nice. I have one and keep a strip there and then one in my strong side front pocket.

I'm also obs/comp enough that I couldn't adapt to an 8-round 1911 mag. They're supposed to hold seven!

5 rounds? That's only 1/3 of ONE magazine, and I carry two!
    I could never get used to speed strips when I had to carry a wheelgun. Mine was a six rounder, but those strips just wouldn't cooperate. I really tried, because I hated carrying the bulky speedloaders. But I could drop six from a speedloader in a fraction of the time than speedstrips. I can only imagine how much worse it would be under fire!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

When I carry my SP101, I carry 2 speedstrips in a cellphone holster. I load 5 rounds in the speedstrip. AzHusker, I use speedstrips rather than speedloaders because I've heard too many stories about speedloader malfunction to trust them when carrying. I agree speedloaders are faster if they work than loading with a speedstrip. I might start carrying a speedloader in addition to my speedstrips. OMO.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I carry my speed strips spaced 2_3. When practicing, I found that if I loaded 6, I tended to fumble with it and loose several rounds onto the floor...especially in low light. I reload using the "2" first, then the 3. This way, I will get at least 4 into the cylinder If I'm really stressed and fumble it badly. I generally carry 1 speed strip and one speed loader when I CCW my 442. When I practice, I generally use the speed loaders for complete reloads and the speed strips to "tac load" a partially empty gun during our action pistol drills.

With only five rounds, I'd just carry three guns...
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I carry 5 rounds in my speed strips. My carry revolvers only carry 5 rounds, and the empty hole makes the strip easier to handle.

Still, I hope to never need to reload in an emergency, I generally carry a J-frame as a BUG to an auto, so if I'm reloading the BUG, things have really gone south.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    I have heard that some people carry strips of 4.

Reload 4 rounds (2 at a time) and forget about the fifth in the interest of saving time.

Maybe they carry two speed strips.

I carry strips of 4. For me, reload times are significantly faster with 4 than having that one additional round (5) in the strip. Try it up against a shot timer, it may work for you.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

My snubbies (S&w or Colt) are back-up Guns. I do carry 1 speed strip with 6 rounds so I don't have to guess which gun I am carring. It is a back-up gun, not a main carry. If I have to reload it, I would be in real trouble and go for my back pocket KT first.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

Why would anyone carry less rounds than the speed strip can bold?

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Yah i carry strip clips but i carry 2 space 3. It alows 2 right away and then just work the 3.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links