New Glock 19 with dirty firing pin- how clean is too clean?

This is a discussion on New Glock 19 with dirty firing pin- how clean is too clean? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought a new G19 the other day. My first Glock. In addition to the copper grease on the slides, there was a small amount ...

Thread: New Glock 19 with dirty firing pin- how clean is too clean?

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

New Glock 19 with dirty firing pin- how clean is too clean?

I bought a new G19 the other day. My first Glock. In addition to the copper grease on the slides, there was a small amount of oil on the extractor and inside the slide. Being curious, I disassembled the slide and took out the firing pin. To my surprise, the firing pin, channel, firing pin safety, and extractor were oily and dirty!

There were 2 spent cartridges sealed in an envelope (for putting in some gov't database) so it obviously has been test fired at least twice. There was no wear in the spots where the barrel rubs on the slide so I have no reason to think it has had more then a few rounds in it...

my question: Everything I have read states that the firing pin must be kept ultra-oil-free. How clean and oil-free is really necessary? Was my surprise in a new gun uncalled for?

see the photo with crud on q-tips...is that normal?
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Geez! I hope you didn't wipe off all that graphite they put on from the factory! (just kidding....I don't know this for fact)
    I get more crud out of my ears after a day's worth of work than that. Most firearms are shipped to dealers with long term preservatives of some sort to insure factory quality at the end user. personally, I wouldn't worry about it, and I wouldn't have completely cleaned it either. Just a case of something you didn't want to know, and something you shouldn't have messed with, especially in a brand new pistol. I hope that karma is still good to you. It's common practice now to have the two fired casings with your new pistol. I don't know when they started this, but my G19 bought new this year had them. I figure it standard practice, or reasons of complying with laws, or import restrictions. I don't think one of the factory workers actually took it out for a weekend of fun and put it back on the shipping line.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I bought new Glocks in 2004 and 2006, all 3 had the 2 fired cartridge cases included, and (most disgustingly) dirty barrel bores. I think if the Glock goes to some states, the cases must be supplied to the state government for some kind of CSI-like database. If it goes to a state with no case requirements, the buyer gets the cases.

I have followed the lube instructions in the manual, which include no lube on the firing pin, firing pin spring, spring cups, etc. Pistols work fine.

Since you have it open, clean the FP and channel out. Leave the magic copper, many say it helps lap the slide. Doesn't hurt anyway.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Links