Sticky Chambers?

Sticky Chambers?

This is a discussion on Sticky Chambers? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As some of you may know I have a very, very old house that I am refurbishing. When I am working on the house I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticky Chambers?

Senior Moderator

Question Sticky Chambers?

As some of you may know I have a very, very old house that I am refurbishing. When I am working on the house I usually pocket carry my Taurus 605 in a cheap Uncle Mike's pocket holster.

When ever I pick up a pistol to carry I do a function check and a repeat the check when I take it off and put it in the safe for the night.

Last night when I checked the Taurus two of the chambers (they where side by side) in the cylinder were sticky. Meaning the extractor was hard to push and the rounds in those chambers did not fall out.

Both rounds had some gummy residue on them and there appeared to be residue in the chambers. The clyinder would still spin freely and there appeared to be no reidue on the ouside of the gun or holster.

I cleaned the gun and rounds, removed the residue and the pistol shot fine this morning.

I was working on plumbing yesterday and using PVC cement, penatrating oil and silicone sealent, but I don't know how any of this could have gotten into the chambers and not on the holster or in my pants pocket. I did not pull the pistol out of it's holster until I did my end of day function check.

Does anyone have any idea of what could have caused this?
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Administrator
    That's weird? New one on me.

VIP Member
    If you are anything at all like me, the mess will extend yards from where the work was being done, and into crevices you had no idea existed.

It doesn't matter what I work with: Dyes, oil, coffee, paint, ink, apple sauce. Try as I might, the dang stuff gets dispersed.

For more than 40 years I worked with bacteria, viruses, toxins, radiochemicals. It is a wonder I am still alive.

I painted some pre-primed molding in the back yard this morning. There is paint on my fingers, my hair, the garage sink, the old shoes reserved for such a task, a door knob, a bathroom lavatory, my old painting jeans, my old eyeglass frame--the one reserved for dirty tasks, my nose.

I try hard. I really do. But some of this stuff was invented by the devil himself. Once it gets loose it takes over the world.

Senior Moderator
    Well I am a Microbiologist and I am very good about not touching things that I don't need too.

I just am wondering what could have caused this, and how I can prevent it in the future
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    how old is the gun, what lube do you use, what was the ambient temperature, did you eat jelly rolls before loading......

uuuhhhh...how many 38spl rounds have you fired without thorough cleaning of the chambers?

surv

Send mysterious gummy residue to lab for analyses, or just do a taste test and let us know.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    how old is the gun, what lube do you use, what was the ambient temperature, did you eat jelly rolls before loading......

uuuhhhh...how many 38spl rounds have you fired without thorough cleaning of the chambers?

surv
    The gun is about 6 years old, it is cleaned whenever it is fired and every 3 weeks. The temp in my old house is 67 F and my hands were clean when I did my first function check before I carried it.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Moderator
    Static electricity.

You are refurbishing your house.

You are probably moving around alot, making dust,spraying paint, making lots of noise and disrupting old stuff.

The cylinders that were sticky were the ones closest to the opening of your pocket. Its cool and dry and any carpet that you are walking on is probably prone to giving you small shocks due to static.

The gun in your pocket, being a mass of metal, is acting much as a magnet would, but in this case it is the negative or positive charge of the gun attracting all manners of dust or paint or even moisture. Since the other cylinders that are protected by your holster in its pocket, its the two that are exposed the most that are showing stickiness.

Its the only explanation at this time that makes sense.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    Thanks is pretty good Hot Guns

It was the two cylinders that were away from my body that got sticky

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Static electricity.

You are refurbishing your house.

You are probably moving around alot, making dust,spraying paint, making lots of noise and disrupting old stuff.

The cylinders that were sticky were the ones closest to the opening of your pocket. Its cool and dry and any carpet that you are walking on is probably prone to giving you small shocks due to static.

The gun in your pocket, being a mass of metal, is acting much as a magnet would, but in this case it is the negative or positive charge of the gun attracting all manners of dust or paint or even moisture. Since the other cylinders that are protected by your holster in its pocket, its the two that are exposed the most that are showing stickiness.

Its the only explanation at this time that makes sense.
    Uhhh, ok well i guess i need to go back to school because i would have never thought of that. I mean it makes complete sense but to come to that conclusion baffles me. Good job. Oh while your at it, think about the Ohio Lottery and tell me what ever numbers you see
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Senior Moderator
    That off the wall stuff comes from being left handed.

I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Did you give your child a hug today, I swear that when my son was 2 I always ended up with sticky stuff in my pockets every time I hugged him.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Did you give your child a hug today, I swear that when my son was 2 I always ended up with sticky stuff in my pockets every time I hugged him.

Ha, yes I give him a hug all the time and I end up with sticky stuff everywhere. Plus whatever he is eating somehow always ends up in my hair

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    If the residue was greenish in color, it probably has something to do with the brass used in the ammo. Ammo left in a revolver or belt loops for a long period of time will do this. Brass is very reactive and a gummy residue is inevitable over a long period of time. Use ammo with nickel plated cases and change ammo every six months or so.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Senior Moderator
    The residue was transperant, the ammo is GoldDots and less than 3 months old.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links