Defensive Carry banner

A tale of 3 barrels and a baby Glock (G-26)

15K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  dudester 
#1 ·
I finally got around to shoot a few pictures of my carry pistol.
They show a baby Glock growing up ...

Here are the barrels used:

This a standard G-26 fitted with a Pearce mag extension; this adds a lot to the control of the gun at a very little increase in size.
The mag extension does not add to the capacity of the mag (10)

Now we are growing, the baby Glock is fitted with a G-19 barrel; it is a "drop-in" mod and a G-19 magazine with a sleeve.
The sleeve is not a good idea, it adds a little on the aesthetics (if one can put aesthetics and Glock in the same sentence :wink:) but the mag is not usable anymore in the G-19; it is fastened with an allen set screw which must be loosened to remove the sleeve.
Interestingly enough the G-19 barrel gives the G-26 (9mm) more energy than the G-27 (.40) with a negligible increase in size.

We are looking below at a pistol which could be used by Gecko45 as a secondary BUG (the primary BUG would be no less than a MAC-10 :rofl:)
The ported barrel became necessary for me to keep shooting in spite of arthritis in the right wrist; it makes a big difference in muzzle flip.
I think it gives also a slight increase in muzzle velocity - not sure only 3 shots through the chrony.

I took a lot of flack over the ported barrel:
- the upward flash is blinding in low light > not true with Speer GD
- bullet and powder residues will be thrown back in your eyes > did not happen
- if you have to shoot through the passenger side of your car (while you are driving - a likely situation ) the gases escaping from the ports will injure your passenger > not true; I shot the gun with a piece of paper about 8 inches above the muzzle, nothing serious happened and if I had to shoot that way, I would probably angle the gun to the left (yeah, gangsta style) because it is a natural motion for me.

Of course, I also got the "advice" that such a modified gun would make a field day for the prosecution.
Maybe, maybe not.
I carry my ported G-26 with the regular magazine w/ pearce +0.
I carry the G-19 mag +2 as a spare; if I get to the point where I have to use it, meaning that the 11 rds in the first mag (10 + 1 in the tube) didn't do the job, I have a PROBLEM ... what a jury would think will be the least of my worries!!!

About the ported barrel, my arthritis is well documented :rolleyes: my lawyer should have no problem ...

Note: For those who don't know about Gecko45, search this site or google it, it is highly entertaining - anybody have the link ?

See less See more
#4 ·
Whoa, good thinking! It never occurred to me that you might want to put a G19 barrel in a G26, but it makes perfect sense that it would work. Genius! Now how about a G34 barrel... :bigun2:

As for the magazine sleeves, I really like the look of those. Since I only have a G26 it would not be a problem that I could no longer use the mags in the larger Glocks. Where did you get them?

#11 ·
I believe I got the sleeves from Lone Wolf; go to the A&G brand, they are $9.99.
They are also very knowledgeable and will tell you which barrels fit in which gun.

#5 ·
Interesting ideas and pics...:hand10:
I hadn't thought about using a Pearce mag extenter...Mmmm:scruntiny:

#6 ·
That last picture looks pretty crazy! Nice write up and pictures. I always like seeing Glocks for some reason. Even though "they all look alike". Haha. Thanks for sharing! :hand10:

#8 ·
Well, I don't think having ports in a barrel will increase projectile velocity but, from tests done by Mag-na-port - surprisingly you don't lose any velocity even when the ports are positioned even closer to the barrel chamber and vent through mated holes in the slide.

Ma-na-port claims that any velocity loss through porting is negligible and within the normal FPS variation cartridge to cartridge.

#9 · (Edited)
Well i have heard the stories of gecko45 but never looked into it........wow. Thanks for the info and i googled it and i really needed a laugh. People these days. Also the gun looks great. I knew about putting the 19 barrel in but never gave it any thought but i think i will try that the next time. Thanks

#12 ·
I carry my ported G-26 with the regular magazine w/ pearce +0. I carry the G-19 mag +2 as a spare; if I get to the point where I have to use it, meaning that the 11 rds in the first mag (10 + 1 in the tube) didn't do the job, I have a PROBLEM ... what a jury would think will be the least of my worries!!!
True, but carrying extra mags isn't always about quantity/firepower. Mags are often the source of malfunctions in autoloaders and swapping out for a spare is the quickest way of clearing such malfunctions.

That being said, I usually carry a G-17 mag (17 rds) as the spare for my G-19. Part of the reason (especially at the range) is that it's easy to pinch the heel of my palm between the G-19 mag's baseplate and the magwell, causing a blood blister. Lots more clearance with the G-17 mag.

#13 ·
Nice write up...cool pics....love the title.

#14 ·
Thanks the G26 is on my list, here it must have a longer barrel (106mm, slightly over 4") Up here they come with the Lonewolf barrel, I think I will get some of those sleeves for the carry mags and keep the standard mag in the gun. I could get one new, but with the current exhange rate and State Department fees, they are going for $1000+ I hope to see a used one come up for sale.

#19 ·
Glad I had finished my cup of coffee when I read this :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#16 ·
G26 Different Barrels

Your a genius! I never thought of doing that. I have two XDs and now wonder if I could swap the 9-mm service barrel into my XD9sc? What I really want is the barrel and slide of a service model with the grip of the XD9sc. I am too chicken to do a grip chop on the service model XD. Thank you for the pictures and post.

-- Richard

#18 ·
Full extension ! I tend to be careful by trade :image035:

However, I did place sheets of paper to see if anything was flying back and when I found nothing, I had my wife shoot a magfull with my hand moving closer to the muzzle at a ~45 deg angle. I stopped at 8-10 inches because that was getting too close to the gun as it was in recoil.
My wife likes big bore revolvers and tend to go with the punch on recoil rather than try to control it especially with SA revolver like the Blackhawk .44mag.

Did not even feel hot gases. Now, I didn't place my hand directly above the muzzle.
With lead ammo it might be a different story.

#25 ·
I finally got around to shoot a few pictures of my carry pistol.
They show a baby Glock growing up ...

Now we are growing, the baby Glock is fitted with a G-19 barrel; it is a "drop-in" mod and a G-19 magazine with a sleeve.

Interestingly enough the G-19 barrel gives the G-26 (9mm) more energy than the G-27 (.40) with a negligible increase in size.

We are looking below at a pistol which could be used by Gecko45 as a secondary BUG (the primary BUG would be no less than a MAC-10 :rofl:)
The ported barrel became necessary for me to keep shooting in spite of arthritis in the right wrist; it makes a big difference in muzzle flip.
I think it gives also a slight increase in muzzle velocity - not sure only 3 shots through the chrony.
A few questions -

Are you planning on using that Wolf barrel for CCW? If so, you better put enough rounds through it to ensure it's reliable. Aftermarket barrels have much tighter chambers than Glock OEM, and they do give better accuracy, but often at the cost of reliability.

Do you really feel a difference in recoil from the ported barrel? I understand due to your arthritis you're probably more sensitive than most, but have you tried a double blind test of this?

As others have stated, there's no way the porting will increase velocity - on the contrary if anything it should reduce it. I'm also curious as to whether porting affects accuracy, since it applies asymmetric force to the bullet as it leaves the muzzle.

#26 ·
Of course, I also got the "advice" that such a modified gun would make a field day for the prosecution.
Maybe, maybe not.
I carry my ported G-26 with the regular magazine w/ pearce +0.
I carry the G-19 mag +2 as a spare; if I get to the point where I have to use it, meaning that the 11 rds in the first mag (10 + 1 in the tube) didn't do the job, I have a PROBLEM ... what a jury would think will be the least of my worries!!!

About the ported barrel, my arthritis is well documented :rolleyes: my lawyer should have no problem ...

Note: For those who don't know about Gecko45, search this site or google it, it is highly entertaining - anybody have the link ?
I'm replying to the bolded part. There's 2 sides to this. One one hand I have personally heard stories of an overzealous DA that is anti-gun and wants to put anyone away to look like the big hero cleaning up the streets. These types are not common, but I did read a story about a guy not far from me who after a clean, legal, good shoot against an armed attacker using his 1911, was crucified by the DA. His reasoning was stupid, he said "a 1911 is a pistol with a hair trigger and is ment only to kill someone" he further claimed the defendant had no police or military experience and thus wasn't qualified to carry the 1911 pistol, claiming one has to be a trained firearms expert to handle it safely. He then claimed that in the act of carrying that weapon he was actively looking to kill someone.

Yes ridiculous...

Now the other side says you can always defend against these types of attacks if you keep your hard about you and the lawyer you use does as well. There are some things you can do immediately following an incident that will go down on police records and help you immensely. I'm not a lawyer or anything, but I've seen it go both ways. One way like above, the other is someone doing the right things and when it comes up there is no basis for going to court at all.

Now this relates to a modified gun because 1) it doesn't matter what the weapon looks like or what you do to it as long as it's in working order and the inherit safety of the weapon as it comes from the factory is not circumvented. Whatever weapon is easily manageable and available is the one you should use. and 2) knowing it shouldn't matter does not prevent someone from making claims about you that are untrue, it becomes a case of your word against theirs and only your past history to go on. That's a bit harder depending on the area and the political situation at that time.

Anyway I feel if you like it go for it. It looks good IMO.

#27 ·
The sleeve is not a good idea, it adds a little on the aesthetics (if one can put aesthetics and Glock in the same sentence :wink:) but the mag is not usable anymore in the G-19; it is fastened with an allen set screw which must be loosened to remove the sleeve.
That is SO freaking cool! :hand10:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.