P220 Compact

P220 Compact

This is a discussion on P220 Compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With it being a little colder lately I decided to carry my Sig P220ST around for a bit. Its a little large but its not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P220 Compact

P220 Compact

With it being a little colder lately I decided to carry my Sig P220ST around for a bit. Its a little large but its not a big deal with winter clothing. I really like Sigs and I was thinking about getting a P220 carry for the summer months but it turns out that it has the exact same grip length as a full size P220 so that brings me to the P220 Compact. I am considering the P220 Compact SAS as a "Christmas present" for myself What do you guys think of the P220 Compact?

Senior Moderator
    Exellent gun.

but then, Im sort of partial to Sigs. I have several.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    What can you say? It's a SIG! I have a 220 Carry that I like a lot.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator
    I've had a hankering for a 220 compact, but haven't picked one up yet. They do shoot very nicely, and would imagine they carry nice too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I've heard a lot of good things about Sigs, but I've actually never shot one.

-Jeff-

The ONLY thing I don't like about the 220 Compact is that obtrusive beavertail. I can't for the life of me figure out why they would put that on a gun designed primarily for concealed carry. Of all the pistols in the 220 lineup, only the Compact and the Elite series have that beavertail. I much prefer the design of my P245. Basically the same gun without the beavertail. I'm especially surprised that the SAS version of the 220 Compact still has the same beavertail.

Hoss

P220 Compact

P220 Compact SAS

P245
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

The beavertail really doesn't have anything to do with printing compared to the length of the grip.

Just think about the location of the beavertail/hammer - if those are printing, the rest of the gun was printing long before the beavertail.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Printing wasn't my concern. Digging into my rather generous flesh overhang was.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Moderator
    That beavertail was put there because the handle being short, it would rock in the hand and sometimes bite.The biggest complaint of the 245 was that exactly so they tried to correct that with the compact.

To me, the compact feels much better in the hand than the 245. I was once in the market for a 245 until I shot one, that kind of cooled my taste for one.I have big hands and the 245 just didnt feel that great to me.

The compact on the other hand, feels vastly superior when shot.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Printing wasn't my concern. Digging into my rather generous flesh overhang was.

Hoss
    The beavertail is shaped to keep your generous flesh overhang from being bitten by the hammer or getting railroad tracks from the slide (on your hand).

On the holster side, get a holster with a full length sweat shield. Problem solved.
    ~Mike F.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That beavertail was put there because the handle being short, it would rock in the hand and sometimes bite.The biggest complaint of the 245 was that exactly so they tried to correct that with the compact.

To me, the compact feels much better in the hand than the 245. I was once in the market for a 245 until I shot one, that kind of cooled my taste for one.I have big hands and the 245 just didnt feel that great to me.

The compact on the other hand, feels vastly superior when shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    The beavertail is shaped to keep your generous flesh overhang from being bitten by the hammer or getting railroad tracks from the slide (on your hand).

On the holster side, get a holster with a full length sweat shield. Problem solved.
    You guys must have some MONSTROUS hands!!! I'm 6'6", 400+ lbs and while my hands may not be huge, they're definitely not dainty. I can't imagine how contorted a grip I'd have to get on my P245 to get bit by the slide. Below are some pictures I just took.

I can't get my hand up high enough to get slide bit and still have any kind of a finger lock on the grip. On top of that, what beavertail there is would be extremely painful if I could get it into the web of my hand and actually fire the gun.

As far as carrying, there's no possible way the hammer is going to bite or dig into my side as much as that elongated beavertail. The 220 Compact SAS goes so far as to bob the hammer but still has the beavertail. Seems a little redundant to bob the hammer to reduce snags (SAS=Sig Anti Snag) and yet leave the sharp beavertail sticking out there.

Looks are an individual observation and what is attractive to one person is not to another. (I think Michelle Pfeiffer is gorgeous, my son thinks she's too ugly to look at). So, as far as looks go, we don't have to disagree. But as far as functionality, we're just going to have to disagree on that one. If you're built like me (diameter above the belt line is greater than diameter below the belt line), that's going to be an uncomfortable gun to carry without a huge body shield built into the holster.

I love Sigs. Carry one every day (239 SAS). When I decided I wanted a 245, I found a dealer through Gun Broker that had 6 NIB 245s. Shortly after I received the gun, Sig announced the 220 Compact. I was extremely disappointed that I didn't know this before I purchased one of the 245s. However, after seeing the new 220 Compact, I'll never regret my 245 purchase.

Hoss

245 with slide locked back.

Slide closed, hammer down (normal situation from initial draw).

Slide closed, hammer cocked (normal situation for follow-up shot).

245 in a Brigade Gunleather M-11. Imagine how much higher the sweat shield would have to be to protect you from the beavertail of the 220 Compact considering it doesn't even cover the small beavertail of the 245.

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Senior Moderator
    The beaver-tail wasn't so much put there for the hammer bite as much as it was to position the gun. When I fire it, it wants to rise up in the hand. Since the grip is so short, it just feels like you're going to lose it. The beaver-tail forces it to stay where its put. The 245 should have been a much better selling gun than it was, but because of this the sales weren't so hot and Sig eventually quit making them.

The Compact was the answer to that. The beaver-tail makes it more controllable I think. I know that when I shot the first one, I wanted one. Not so with the 245.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    .......................When I fire it, it wants to rise up in the hand. Since the grip is so short, it just feels like you're going to lose it. The beavertail forces it to stay where its put...................
    Although I've never experienced any tendency to rise when shooting my 245, that could just be a difference in shooting styles. As far as the beavertail, I have no problem with it when shooting. If it were twice as big as it is on the 220, it wouldn't be detrimental to shooting. As a concealed carry firearm though, it's going to be carried much more than it will ever be shot. My only suggestion to the OP is that if you are normal build, you shouldn't have a problem. However, if you have some excess flesh, you may want to try one in a good holster (sit, stand, kneel, etc.) before you buy if this is to be an EDC. While any Sig in the safe is O.K. by me, they are a bit expensive to buy and then find out they are too uncomfortable to wear on a daily basis. If you do find that the beavertail on the 220 Compact is a problem, you may take a look at the 220 Carry SAS. It's only .5" taller than the 220 Compact and doesn't have the large beavertail.

Hoss

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I don't have monstourous hands, but my buddy Matt does - first time I met him and shook his hand mine dissapeared - making me wonder what kind of Houdini I just met.

I shoot with a very high grip, and tend to shoot guns with some amount of an extended beavertail great - those without not too bad. Put me in a 1911 GI style pistol, and I get bit every single time by that hammer. I'm very close to getting torn by the slide when I shoot a Glock.
    ~Mike F.

If you can avoid the 2007 internal extractor on the stainless P220 slides.

The new stainless 220 slides use an external extractor.

See sig forum dot com for the scoop. Search my name for some posts if you want to read about my $900 P220 compact SAS that is not reliable.
    Go Glock - until you can afford H&K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links