Anyone own a Taurus 24/7?

This is a discussion on Anyone own a Taurus 24/7? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know there are a lot of people out there who are not fans of Taurus. That's ok. I own a few and I have ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone own a Taurus 24/7?

I know there are a lot of people out there who are not fans of Taurus. That's ok. I own a few and I have never had a problem with any of mine. But I am interested in the 24/7 pistol as a first handgun for my oldest son. He turns 18 in a month or so and I would like to find a handgun for him without breaking the bank.

I am also considering a PT92, as I own one of those but it is almost 20 years old now and I am not sure Taurus has the same quality that they used to have.

Any opinions are welcome. I just want to hear some. Also if anyone has any opinions for a gun for him that isn't too pricey, I'd like to hear them as well.

Thanks!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I think the 24/7 would be a good first gun. I don't own any Taurus guns, and don't really plan to, but I would purchase a 24/7 long before I would purchase a PT92. Just my .02

-Jeff-

Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    I think the 24/7 would be a good first gun. I don't own any Taurus guns, and don't really plan to, but I would purchase a 24/7 long before I would purchase a PT92. Just my .02

-Jeff-
    Can I ask why you feel so strongly about the 24/7 over the PT92? Just curious.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Can I ask why you feel so strongly about the 24/7 over the PT92? Just curious.
    Only because I haven't read nearly as many bad things about the 24/7 as I have about the PT92. I don't think the PT92 is a very good copy (at least the recent ones that I've seen in the stores). The fit and finish is horrible in comparison to the Beretta (IMO). This may not be true for yours though, since I was 3 years old when you purchased it. I've also shot the 24/7 that a friend owns and it was pleasant to shoot and he loves it. He hasn't had any problems either and has put quite a few rounds through it.

-Jeff-

This may not be true for yours though, since I was 3 years old when you purchased it.
    I feel old suddenly.....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I feel old suddenly.....
    Just remember, you have that many more years of experience to make your shots count
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Senior Moderator
    Mike have you looked at Taurus' new 809?

It's modeled after the 24/7 but has an external hammer and safety so you can carry it cocked and locked.

I really like my PT92 too, mine is newer I bought it 16 years ago, they were really good then too.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    Only because I haven't read nearly as many bad things about the 24/7 as I have about the PT92. I don't think the PT92 is a very good copy (at least the recent ones that I've seen in the stores). The fit and finish is horrible in comparison to the Beretta (IMO). This may not be true for yours though, since I was 3 years old when you purchased it. I've also shot the 24/7 that a friend owns and it was pleasant to shoot and he loves it. He hasn't had any problems either and has put quite a few rounds through it.

-Jeff-
    It is not a bad copy but an almost direct copy with the added benefit of a frame safety instead of the slide safety in the regular 92s. In fact the PT92 was tooled by the same machines that Beretta used to build the 92 when they had the factory in Brazil. Beretta opened the factory in association with Taurus to feed the US Military market until they could open one Stateside. When Beretta left Brazil, Taurus kept the whole lot plus all the knowledge training the Italian gunmakers passed to the locals.

I have a PT92 from one of the first batches and the issues it had (all corrected now) were exactly the same issues that the Beretta had but since it was a Taurus, they got all the negative publicity. My PT92 (with 6 mags) is my B.O. gun.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    I like my 24/7 in .40 alot. It's my daily carry gun, so I trust it completely.
    It's a nice slim grip for a double stack, with great ergonomics, at least for me. Pretty soft shooter for a .40 as well.
    I have at least 2000 rounds through mine with no issues at all.

My only MINOR gripe is in breaking it down. The slide pin is a bit fussy, and I don't particularly like having to pull the trigger to take the slide off the frame.

Overall I'd recommend it completely.

Taurus 24/7

I also have a 24/7pro in 9mm 450rds through it not one problem.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post

It's modeled after the 24/7 but has an external hammer and safety so you can carry it cocked and locked.

I really like my PT92 too, mine is newer I bought it 16 years ago, they were really good then too.
    I really like the looks of the 800 series guns. I had seen an advertisement in a gun magazine at some point but had forgotten about it. Looks like it has the Glock style take down. I am going to take a look at these. Thanks!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Mike,

I just picked up a 24/7 in 9mm a couple of weeks ago. I really like the way it shoots. I got it as the replacement from my Mil Pro PT111 in 9mm that I was going to give to my wife, but she ended up wanting a G19 instead.

The 24/7 is very comfortable, well balanced, and except for the decocker/safety, it is exactly like my 3rd gen PT 111. The great thing about it, is that my holsters the Crossbreed Super Tuck and the Wild Bills Slide, will fit either gun.

I have actually started carrying the 24/7 more than the PT111 since I got it.

I have not shot the PT92, a buddy of mine has one and I have handled it. It feels good, basically like a 92FS Berretta, but a better placement of the safety/decocker.

I will caution you to look into the recommended ammunition limits of the Taurus'. I chose the 9mm because they rate it for a 124 gr bullet at a speed of 1225 fps. This means that I can shoot Speer +p Gold Dots out of it.

Taurus' .40 Cal are only rated for a 180 gr bullet at 985 fps, and the .45 cal are only rated for 230 gr bullets at 835 fps. This means that they are not rated for even some regular self defense ammo much less any +P ammo.

I am not trying to steer you to any caliber, but just want you to be aware of what the manufacturer says their guns are rated for in the various calibers.

Good luck with your search.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

The 24/7 is my first handgun

I have not introduced myself in the new member forum yet. This topic applies to me, so I'll quit lurking and throw in my .02. I recently turned 21 and received a .40 24/7 (not 24/7 pro fyi) from my future FIN. I have ~400 rounds thru it with no problems. Pros for me are, simplicity of controls, magazine capacity for the range, and overall feel. My sights are ~6" low at 20', but that can be adjusted. I would recomend the pistol to any 1st time shooter. In fact I popped two pistol cherries with mine.
    Last edited by stevenab; November 24th, 2008 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post

wow that is nice, im left handed and hate the fact i have to draw with my thumb pushing the safety down before im able to grip properly.

My wife enjoys shooting her 24/7 DAO 9mm pistol, which has proven to be reliable. And I enjoy shooting my PT99 AFS 9mm DA/SA pistol, which has also proven to be reliable. In fact, I'm in the process of customizing this durable and attractive stainless steel/alloy pistol.

I know two individuals who have had to return their snubbie carry revolvers to Taurus due to serious flaws that made them unreliable. But there isn't a single firearms maker who doesn't produce their share of lemons.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links