Anyone have/carry the XD M?

This is a discussion on Anyone have/carry the XD M? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Saw it in my very first NRA mag I got Saturday, and I gotta tell you.... I want one! 9mm carries 19+1, yeah I need ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have/carry the XD M?

Anyone have/carry the XD M?

Saw it in my very first NRA mag I got Saturday, and I gotta tell you.... I want one! 9mm carries 19+1, yeah I need one.

If you do have one, are they a PITA to clean? Failures? I have never had or used and XD, only owned a Ruger and a Glock, so I apologize for the newbie questions, but I really want to know! I have a hard time taking the Ruger apart to clean, one of the reasons I love the Glock. My hubby works in Iraq so I need to be able to do this myself with any gun I am going to use.

Thanks in advance!
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I've been eye-balling them for a little while, there is a thread regarding them HERE, but there's not a lot of holsters available for them yet, I've only found a handful of makers offering holsters for it.

Comp-Tac

BlueGrass Holsters
    Boom-Stick Holsters
    TT Gunleather

Of those listed, Comp-Tac has the best turnaround time.

There may be a few more, but those are the one I can think of off the top of my head.

The XDM isn't that much bigger than a Hi Power or 5" 1911, it's by no means a "small" gun, it's in the full size category all the way.

Regarding cleaning, it should be a snap. Take down is pretty simple and polymer guns are polymer guns, cleaning isn't all that hard.

A friend of mine in MI just bought one and I'm waiting for feedback from him, and a couple of others before making the leap.

There's a series of videos on Springfield's website (low center of page) that are more propaganda than anything, but the last video does show take down for cleaning...

If I remember right. You turn a lever and pull the slide off. The guy showing me did it in about 2 seconds. I have looked at them. Nice pistols.

Semper Fi

I carry the XDm in 40 cal and have no problem with an uncle mike no 5 for open carry, but then I ride a motorcycle and like to have positive control and security of such a holster. Cleaning it is very easy about 5 minutes and you are done.

I have had my XD(M)-40 in all-black since May. It is my first and only (currently - my next hopefully will be a Kahr MK40) handgun. I have put 1400 rounds through her without any failures. I have only had my CHL for a month now so my carry experience is not very deep but I don't suppose it is any more difficult to conceal than any other full-size pistol. The grip is quite long. Comp-Tac and Crossbreed both make holsters specifically for the XD(M) along with Galco. Safariland does have offerings for the XD(M) even though it is not apparent on their website. See that list of Safariland model numbers here. My XD(M) fits in a Blackhawk Serpa for the regular XD just fine and that is where it is at currently as I type. JD mentioned some others and more holster makers are announcing models for the XD(M) everyday it seems.

The XD(M) is very simple to field strip and clean. I particularly like that it does not require a trigger pull to remove the slide. You can watch a video of the field strip at the XD(M) website. Follow the Downloads link and then the link to the Bob Leatham XD(M) introductory videos. There are seven of them. I think the field strip and clean is the last one on the bottom-right. The videos are infomerical-esque but still informative nonetheless.

The only issue I've had with the pistol that others seem to have had too (especially if you have one of the first 5000 produced) is that the mag release is tight if you have a full magazine in. If you have this problem then Springfield will fix it for you for free (so I've been told). I'm waiting until I have a BUG before I send mine in. Meanwhile, putting slight upward pressure on the magazine while pressing the release is an easy workaround.

I think it compares favorably to a Glock. It was my intention to buy a G17 the day I bought the XD(M). I held the XD(M) in my hand and had to have it. If you don't like XDs then you probably won't like the XD(M) either though.

It does have interchangeable backstraps but I've been happy with the medium size that was already on it. They are not as easy to change out as they seem from what I've read by others. It takes a punch to push out the rollpin that holds the backstrap in place.

If you want to read the opinions of other XD(M) owners then I recommend going over to XDTalk and taking a dip in the XD(M) forum. There is a nice picture thread here.
    Life Member: Grass Roots North Carolina, GOA | Member: NRA
    Carrying: Springfield Armory XD(M) .40 S&W | Kel-Tec PF9

CDH
    If self-defense carry is a primary purpose for the XD(M), then you really don't need to spend the extra $$$ on the M model.
    The standard XD does everything and more that you need in a carry piece.
    The one and only reason to go with the M is if you aren't comfortable with the standard XD grip, but my wife with typical girl hands likes her XD45/4" just the way it is.

M model or standard XD, you can't go wrong.

One thing I wanted to mention asked about in the OP is if they are PITA to clean.
    I ran several boxes through both my XD9SC and my wife shot as much through her XD45, so it was up to me to clean the darn things that evening.
    I have to tell you that I was truly amazed at what I saw; just about nuthin'.
    When I opened them up, neither one had even a fraction of the trash that I am always used to when cleaning any of my other pistols.
    I honestly don't know why, but our XD's run really clean for some reason.

I own and often carry the XD40SC, a buddy of mine recently bought and XD-M in 40. Having shot both guns I was amazed that the sub-compact had less recoil and was quicker back on target. I would chalk it up to just being more accustomed to my gun, but my friend thought the same.

Just my .02, but for the money, I don't think the XD-M is any better than the original XD. Unless you just HAVE to have the newest, shiniest, highest capacity gun.

as a side note, I bought the xd40sc when I got my CHL, my current daily carry gun is a 5" 1911. I've found the 1911 to be easier and more comfortable to carry concealed. I reserve the XD for times when I need to be able to carry in a jacket pocket or the like.

Quote Originally Posted by builtjeep View Post
    Just my .02, but for the money, I don't think the XD-M is any better than the original XD. Unless you just HAVE to have the newest, shiniest, highest capacity gun. ...
    Well, I don't really have much opinion re XD-M in general, but certainly I don't see the extra rounds capacity as much of a big whoop.

All the XD 9's, including my sub compact, do 16+1 already. 3 more rounds sure ain't enough by itself for me to consider a different model.

- OS

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I am trying to sell my XD-40 service to buy an XDm-9. Not only will I gain 7 rounds per mag, but the grip feels more solid in my hand, practice will be cheaper, and it will be more friendly to my wife, who has smaller hands and never really liked the recoil of the 40. I can easily live with the slightly longer grip and slide of the M, even for concealment purposes.

Great looking gun. Heard/read greats things all around.

It's on my list.
    I work to buy guns. Not really, but sometimes it feels that way..

I've got both the XDM and the XD (.45 Tactical)

Probably have twelve pistols, mostly Sigs, a couple Glocks, but the XDM and XD (.45 Tactical) have won my heart. In hot weather, I carry my G 26, but the XD on a paddle is my preferred, or was, rather, until I saw and shot an XDM. I've got the .40 S&W version. I like the features, barrel and trigger better for the XDM, and of course, I like the capacity of both. I picked up the Stainless version of the XDM, while my Tactical is black. I was so glad my XDM fit my XD paddle holster. I know mags aren't swappable between XDs and XDMs, but the holsters appear to be.

These are really good guns.
    "Fast and hard, with terrific characters and gripping suspense. The Olive Horseshoe. I couldn't put it down." -- Vince Flynn, New York Times Best Selling Author
    http://BenFSmall.com
    http://NightShadowsPress.com
    http://murderousmusings.blogspot.com/
    http://makeminemystery.blogspot.com/

I have an XDM 9 bi-tone colored. It is very simple to clean just like the XD 9 without the trigger pull. Anyway it takes seconds to fieldstrip and minutes to clean. Very easy to clean and is one fine accurate shooting gun. This is a fine weapon!
    MsXD9

[B]"When seconds count police are minutes away"!

Thanks everyone! I think it's going on the list for sure! Maybe it'll be hubby's Christmas present....so I can shoot it. :)
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

I used to have a XD-M .40. I really wasn't terribly impressed with it; the trigger left quite a bit to be desired, which may have been one of the big reasosn I didn't shoot well with it. I had it for a little over a month, put about 500 rounds through it, and traded it off. While I didn't think it was junk, it just didn't work for me, and I found I prefer Glocks quite a bit more.

Is it too big for CC? No. But, then again, I CC a Glock 21 regularly.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I have the XDm in .40 and as soon as I my k&D setup arrives ill be carrying it. I think it's a wonderful gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links