Think I'm getting a Sig 226

This is a discussion on Think I'm getting a Sig 226 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; GREAT input Scott..........I'm attempting to utilize them for both carry and target/offhand.IDPA shooting.......VERY tough decision here PLUS I'm a cheapskate type........want the best.....but want it ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Think I'm getting a Sig 226

GREAT input Scott..........I'm attempting to utilize them for both carry and target/offhand.IDPA shooting.......VERY tough decision here
    PLUS I'm a cheapskate type........want the best.....but want it my way.........<is this Burger King>
    I have the P228 so I know that the Sigs work.. I also have a couple Glocks as well...........I just can't decide........kinda thinking of the re-sale value on each should I decide to trade up to something else..Trade bait if you look at it
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    OK Bob well - I have shot 17's and 19's and despite being a non-Glocker quite liked them. Again I come back to ''large and heavy'' preference, so - the weight saving of a 19 means little to me. Unlike Scott, I would and do choose the 226 for carry.

My ST has rails but not used so - that is not featuring in any decision process. I'd not count them as aessential on either gun.

Best I can do dude - not all that helpful really.

Concealment as such is not an issue i think - manage one - you'll manage the other, in a sizxe sense - tho again weight could be an issue.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Chris......so weight and size is a factor? If so...........would the 220 be a better choice, seeing the larger caliber of a 45 in the 226 type frame? I'm not playing dimwhitted here........just tossing the factors for each weapon platform into the mix. I'm also hoping to generate some good discussion on how, and why we lean toward each platform, and why we carry each platform.........price? grip angle? functionality of each? reliability or each... just trying to generate those brain cells LOL

Assistant Administrator
    Well - factor for me because I like large and heavy! LOL. So weight and size from my POV is purely what I like.

Without going to get my scales Bob - holding 226ST one hand and 220 in other (both full of bangers!) - the ST is distinctly heavier. I doubt for me the 220 is what I'd call a heavy gun - just me tho. I don't find ol' Slabsides heavy either!

Grip angle is only a factor for me if I go Glock direction - like many it does not suit me so well. Price I ignored - ST was spendy but hey - I wanted it - that was it!

Function aspects well - again I have a slight dislike of Glock trigger so - for me the 226 (and same really for 220 or 228) - suit me well. I am a DA/SA guy - I find the DA SIG pull is very acceptable indeed and also the controls suit me too.

Bottom line - I am right at home with the SIG platform - it will IMO be what works best if needed and even judging by use in IDPA - just feels ''like it grew there''!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

GREAT info Chris...........I sound like a Newbie here, but you know I'm not LOL............I have the 228............I like the Poly frame, hate the grip angle..............love the controls on the Sig...( like the exposed hammer for safety reasons) Finish wear.....the Glock is tougher...........Conceilability........the Glock has it over the Sig 226. Both are "duty type"pistols........tough decision still.

VIP Member
    I sold my G19 in 2005 to a good friend who wanted it for IDPA. He has two because two is really one right? So I know you can use it for IDPA.

As for resale I would have to believe that the Sig would have a higher value everything else being equal. Evidenced by your post that the Sig is $450 and your Glock will likely get you about $350 towards the Sig.

I'm like Chris and carry my P220 ST OWB. It is a heavy gun, but like Chris I like the weight and feel of it. I also have the P226 (all steel) in .40 which I like as well. For me weight is purely subjective. I like a little heavier gun.

Sounds like you should get the P226 and play with it. If you don't like it or tire of it the resale value should be good enough to get you something else in the future.

-Scott-

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I would like to get in on this, but all I can add is take that Glock of yours and trade it in on one of the many 1911's you have in the shop and don't look back. Yes, you will thank me later for my input
    Sorry Bob couldn't resist.
    In all honesty though I would dump the Glock for the Sig. Even though I have never owned either, and only ever shot 1 sig (sig pro) I do find the sig more "comfy" in the hand than the glock.

Thanks Guys
    I agree with all you've submitted on my post.........I have a Sig 228 an dlove it... I have Glocks.. like em.....but not in love with em............1911s?? well I have several already..LOL...........Just can't make up my mind on the 226, as it really is pretty big.........(I've carried larger handguns also)
    Resale money is something that's important here........All said and done......i think the Sig will cost me my G19 and 60 bucks..<laighing> I go thru this all the time........back and forth..mindless wonder here, well.........maybe just mindless LOL
    I did find this link about both of em .. Just in case
    http://remtek.com/arms/sig/model/226/226.htm

http://remtek.com/arms/glock/model/9/19/

OD*
    1911s?? well I have several already..LOL
    You can have too many 1911s?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD
    You can have too many 1911s?
    There are several Les Baers, a couple Wilsons, and a Nighthawk I have had my eyes on for a while............Just waiting for the prices on em to go a bit lower........might get one of those at some point in time

OD*
    Ooh, tough choices there.
    All good

~ Tiger McKee

Senior Moderator
    CLASS3NH ,

It is common and normal for the slide to frame fit on a Sig 226 to become loose. I've got two 226's and the slide rattles on both of them. I also have a Sig 226 ST (stainless frame and slide) and it has not loosened so far.

My brand new Sig 226R was to the rattle point in 500 rounds. Sigarms says it's normal. Many others have had the same experience of loose slides. IT DOES NOT EFFECT ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, OR LIFE of the gun.

As for the "best", Sig dominated the ICE tests as well as some other torture tests. As a result, Sigarms was awarded a multi-year, multi-million dollar contract for the 226 DAK, 229 DAK, and 239s. And, BTW, Glock was in the ICE tests also, but...

Get the 226's at that price. I have 2 and like them both. Very easy to hit with a 50yds.

OD*

Wink

SAY IT AIN"T SO, TANGLE!

Everybody and their brother knows a slide has to be so tight it takes two men and a Girl Scout troop to just to rack it!

~ Tiger McKee

if by torture test you how tuff are they? well i once read an article when a police officer was ambush by three gang members. he was shot twice once in the torso(non vitals) and once in the leg. he was able to fire one shot which scared off the bg's. as it turns out the shot to the leg was actually a shot to the slide of his sig, it dent in the side of the slide but still fire the shot that saved his life, now i would call that a torture test eh?
    Guns don't kill people, Husbands that come home early kill people.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links