Keltec P3AT FTF problem

This is a discussion on Keltec P3AT FTF problem within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've had my P3AT about a year now and, during the first six months fire about 100 rounds with no problem but, yesterday, after carrying ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keltec P3AT FTF problem

Keltec P3AT FTF problem

I've had my P3AT about a year now and, during the first six months fire about 100 rounds with no problem but, yesterday, after carrying it about 6 months I took it to the range and had 4 FTF in 3 magazines.
    I held the gun with both hands when these all happened then deciced to shoot with only one hand and had no failures for 5 magazines. I was in more of a stiff arm situation shooting with one hand so, maybe I was limp wristing it when I had the failures but, stiff arming it might not be an option in a real self defense situation.
    Needless to say, I'm a bit concerned.
    Any comments?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Are you left handed or right? The magazine release is very easy to bump, and can easily cause the mag to drop a bit too low for a round to be stripped and fed into the chamber. Since you don't shoot it a lot, but haven't experienced problems before, I would venture a guess that this is more likely a problem rather than needing a fluff and buff.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    If your first 100 rounds were flawless, as you say, I would guess two possible problems:

1. You are using a different ammunition than the first 100 rounds.

2. You have let the gun get really dry.

Solution #1: Go back to the brand/type ammunition you shot the first 100 rounds with, and then try other brands/styles until you isolate the problem.

Solution #2: Field strip, clean and relube the gun before the next range trip.

The P3AT is on the very edge of design in weight to power ratio, and can be sensitive to lack of proper lube.

just my opinions

surv

Smile

I've carried These for years and must agree they're on the edge a bit with less margin for error in Cleaning, lubing or ammo. This includes trying to keep lint out so they should be stripped and cleaned probably more often than other guns.
    Using hotter or heavier rounds helps fully cycle the action. The Remington 102 grain Golden Sabers are often recommended for carry ammo because many feel it cycles more reliably than most.
    I've started using Double Tap 95 FMJ loads because FMJ round nose generally cycles most reliably in most autos. They also are "hotter" than others which makes it cycle better. Limp wristing, etc. is less of a problem with more "push" kicking the slide back.
    It should still function okay for practice with ordinary ammo and if cleaning and lubing aren't the answer, give them a call. They really have the best customer service anywhere.

Sounds like limp wristing with two hands but one hand strong grip was not a problem. P3ATs do like to run with more lube on it.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Must say I've never shot 100 rds at once through mine. Other forums recommend lubing as often as every 50 rounds.

I say lube it up and try again. Also field strip it and look everything over really good. Mine was iffy when I first got it and then started getting 2 or 3 FTE on every mag. Turned out there was a crack on the extractor. Sent it back to mama keltec and it has been flawless since.

Administrator
    Also clean your magazine interiors if you have not done that.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Also clean your magazine interiors if you have not done that.
    How do you clean the interior of the mag (I only have the one)?

As an answer to some of the other questions:

I'm right handed so the mag release isn't the problem. Also, It did it in a couple of reloads.

I've been carrying it in my back pocket for several months without cleaning and lubing it so, that could be the problem. What's the best lube to put on the slide to help stop this?

All of the FTFs were with Blazer brass. Is that a bad choice for this pistol?

Thanks for the replies.
    Dan

Blazer brass should work fine; it did in my P3AT.

To clean the inside of the magazine, first remove it from the gun and empty it. Then, hold it upside down, and note that one side is square, and the leading edge is curved. What you need to do is use a ballpoint pen or small screwdriver to depress the circle in the middle of the plate, and, while holding it down, slide the plate toward the curved side (front) of the magazine. Be very careful, as the magazine internals will want to evacuate the magazine body and launch themselves at your face. If you don't feel comfortable sliding the plate off while you restrain the insides, you can cheat a little by only sliding the plate enough so it doesn't lock back into place when you stop pressing with the pen. Then, hold the magazine in one hand with your thumb on the plate. Put your entire hand (with magazine in it) inside a large zip top bag or pillowcase, and push the plate the rest of the way off. Congratulations, you now have a bag full of parts. There will be a follower, spring, insert, floor plate, and body. You want to clean off any gunk and oil that may be residing on or in any of these parts. I like to scrub them in warm water with dish soap before drying THOROUGHLY and reassembling. I don't like to use any wet lubricant like oil or grease in a magazine because it attracts pocket gunk and just causes problems all over again - so if you feel compelled to lube it, use a small amount of powdered graphite.

Did that make any sense at all?

As far as lubing the gun, I use a medium viscosity synthetic grease on the top of the barrel where the slide rides, as well as on the lugs and guide rod. I use a small amount of oil on the other pivoting parts in the gun.

Thanks for the help Joe. I'll give it a try.
    I've been lubing mine with the thin liquid lube that came in a gun cleaning kit which, for this gun, apparantly isn't good enough. I just add a drop to the rails at four points.

I like to use a light/medium grease on the rails because it actually stays there. Oil drips off, evaporates, and leaves the gun unlubed. The stuff I use isn't actually intended or designed for use on firearms - it is musical instrument grease. It works WONDERFULLY, though, and comes in a syringe for easy and accurate application.

Hetman Instrument Lubricants - LOW PRICES at WWBW

Thanks again Joe.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    your carry gun, especially one that's IWB or pocket carried, needs to be field stripped, de-gunked/de-linted at least twice a month...and properly relubed. They tend to get dry and full of lint and dust.

Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    your carry gun, especially one that's IWB or pocket carried, needs to be field stripped, de-gunked/de-linted at least twice a month...and properly relubed. They tend to get dry and full of lint and dust.
    +1!!

I recently took apart my PF9 (IWB carry) after about 6 weeks of carry and no shooting. I thought it was growing hair inside. I was appalled at the amount of lint and junk that had made a home there.

I definitely prefer grease to oil for all of the reasons stated above. You really don't need "special gun grease". Any quality (highly refined with no/low impurity) grease designed for high temperature applications will work. Syringes work great for application of the grease.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    Oil drips off, evaporates, and leaves the gun unlubed.
    +1

I like Gunslick Graphite Lube. Although dirtier to clean off, it stays where you put it.

-Jeff-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links