Stoeger Couger

This is a discussion on Stoeger Couger within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was wondering if anyone owns this pistol. It has a very attractive price and claims it is modeled after the beretta cougar models. The problem ...

Thread: Stoeger Couger

Stoeger Couger

Was wondering if anyone owns this pistol. It has a very attractive price and claims it is modeled after the beretta cougar models. The problem is i dont know anything about either pistols. Just wanting some feedback on quality and accuracy. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by cheezewhiz6 View Post
    Was wondering if anyone owns this pistol. It has a very attractive price and claims it is modeled after the beretta cougar models. The problem is i dont know anything about either pistols. Just wanting some feedback on quality and accuracy. Thanks
    I had my girlfriend pick out a pistol that I would purchase so she could shoot along side me. She picked out the Stoeger Cougar in 9mm. It is made on the same machinery that the Beretta Cougars were made on (actually, the Cougar magazines are on sale on Beretta's website right now for $20!). So far, she has put 1400 flawless rounds through it. She loves this gun! It's been a great gun. Recoil is almost non-existent and it's very accurate. The design is also quite unique with the rotating barrel. Personally, I think it's an underrated pistol at a very attractive price. If you have any specific questions that I may be able to answer, I would be glad to try and help.

-Jeff-

I have a friend that has one. Its a great gun. Have thought about getting one myself. Good gun for the price.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

I was looking on the stoeger website and it said it has a safety/decocker. How does that work? I would prefer a decocker for carry. Thanks for the feedback

My best friend has one. It was his first handgun. I have fired it myself probably 200 rounds or so. It seems like a great gun and I am considering it myself. The price is amazing.

It uses a rotating barrel instead of the usual way of locking up. Supposedly this enhances accuracy. His is very accurate, I'll give it that. Easy to take down and clean too.

I can't really find anything that I don't like about it.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by cheezewhiz6 View Post
    I was looking on the stoeger website and it said it has a safety/decocker. How does that work? I would prefer a decocker for carry. Thanks for the feedback
    When you put the pistol on safety it decocks the weapon.

-Jeff-

I carry a 9mm Beretta Mini Cougar for work and I couldn't be happier with it. As has been posted, the Stoeger Cougar is the exact same gun, built on the same machinery to the same specs, the factory just happens to be in Turkey now. In fact, Stoeger is now owned by Beretta. IMO, the new Cougar is a steal, a much better gun than it has a right to be at the prices it's being sold for.

aji
    Have both 9mm & .40S&W. Both are excellent.

I own the 9mm Stoeger. Great value for the money I spent.

However...how will you use this pistol? If you want a CCW I would not recommend it...Grip is too large, you will need to add night sights, and the pistol is a bit thick. I added walnut grips which look nice, but again, it even adds more thickness to the grip.

This pistol has turned into a range/plinking pistol for me. If Stoeger sold the more compact version...it would make a pretty good CCW.

I bought it simply because at $ 329, I just could not pass up the price.

It usually sits at home though...just cannot compete with my Glock as my CCW, my .45 ACP for home defense or my Ruger GP100 when I go into the woods.
    It all comes down to going down the dark holes after monsters. Thatís what itís all about; when everyone else is huddled around the campfire, somebody has to go out and fight.

I've owned the Beretta Cougar for about 15 yrs... it still looks new, shoots great, no FTF or FTE, or anything else. The quality is good, and much better than many. I have seen the Stoeger, and I can see some slight differences in the finish, but that's all I see that's any different.

I would have no hesitation in recommended it to anyone ... its a great gun.

The only complaint I have .. is they could have done the safety / decock differently and easier to flip off.

Links