My Daughter

This is a discussion on My Daughter within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have approached my daughter about considering getting a handgun/shotgun for home defense/self defense and she has said I'm not like you.Then the other day ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Daughter

My Daughter

I have approached my daughter about considering getting a handgun/shotgun for home defense/self defense and she has said I'm not like you.Then the other day she was home in her apartment in Omaha Ne. when some drunk started banging on her door,she told him he was at the wrong place and he thought she was lying and kept banging.
    Anyhow I got a text message from her the other day"Dad I want a Colt 45" now she's fired a 22 rifle and a shotgun in the past like 15 years ago,but never a handgun.Anyhow my plan is in January to load up a 12 gauge pump 20" shotgun and every 9mm,40,45 handgun I own plus a few thousand rounds of reloaded ammo for each caliber and drive to Omaha"God help me if I get stopped with my arsenal,I don't believe the I'm just heading to the gun range will fly".
    Anyhow once there we will go over firearm safety,look at different aspects of the firearms and how they feel in her hands,natural point etc.then we will hit the range and starting with a 22 work on her shooting,then see which other guns she shoots best with quick followup shots etc.Then we will work on mindset and laws regarding justifiable deadly force.
    Then we will go shopping to find her a gun she likes and head back to the range so she can break it in.Since she has a 5 year old there will be a push button safe to keep the handgun in purchased also.In time she may consider getting a CHL, but baby steps is good,this is a girl that didn't think she really needed a gun a couple years ago.I hope I get out of the gun shop under a grand I'll be steering her towards All the guns that we discuss on this board as being highly reliable and would trust our most precious posessions with including a Colt 45 if she shoots my SA 1911-A1 very good or my RIA compact 1911.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

2. Remove Ads

good for U and good for her. Now you can sleep a little better knowing that she will not be completly vaunarable
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    good for U and good for her. Now you can sleep a little better knowing that she will not be completly vaunarable
    +1

-Jeff-

VIP Member
    It's great to have a Daughter who calls for help and You are there for Her. Good Luck.

It never ceases to amaze me how a little 'bad experience' can change minds so quickly.
    I'm glad that your daughter called you so quickly...and like a great dad, you quickly responded.

Good luck at the range, I'm sure that she'll shine with a pistol.
    Once she's armed, both of you will feel better.

Stay armed...SD is on-going...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's great to have a Daughter who calls for help and You are there for Her.
    Being there for her, is what it is all about

Omaha is having issues recently...

... there has been a lot of petty crime that turns into shooting around here in the past few months.

Stay safe, take care of your daughter. If you want a few more guns to throw into the mix when you take her to the range, PM me.

/rl

I have a daughter and we were schooled together getting our CC license. I'm glad you're getting things done to give her what she needs to survive. Some women live in denial about what could happen and it looks like reality has made her wake up...just in time. My hats off to you!
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    "Atta boy" Dad. Nothin' better than teaching one of your kids a hobby that you both can enjoy.

BTW ... Nebraska doesnt honor any other jurisdictions CCW permits. Good luck.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Dukalmighty,that sounds like it will be a mighty long day.
    are you sure you need that many guns for her to try out?
    i believe i would take what i thought would suite her best,including the .45 and if none worked do some more later.
    good idea on her part by the way,sometimes it doesn't take much for a person to realize they should have at least a gun for home defense.
    CHL im sure will follow as a matter of course.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

God bless both of you!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Duk,

You might think about getting some snap caps in all the different calibers so that you can show her the safety aspects and let her start working the triggers at the house before the range session.

She might be able to tell you which ones feel better to her and eliminate some time on the range with guns that she doesn't like the feel of or how they opperate.

Glad she was willing to call dear old dad and ask for help. Better than calling some yeahoo friend of hers that might teach her bad habits.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I think if it were me I would try to get her home to try all the handguns you mentioned. Then ya wont have to worry about the legal asspect of crossing state lines (with a gun shop in your trunk). May God smile on ya if theres no other way than going to her.
    "For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security."
    Thomas Jefferson

I'm actually gonna try to steer her towards DAO handguns in the Kahr S&W M&P,Glock, SA XD.Being a new handgunner I want her to basically be able to draw and shoot without having to remember about a manual safety or deal with a different trigger pull from DA/SA guns in a High Stress situation.Gonna definitely let her hold and dry fire each weapon and feel the difference in the weight,also gonna leave a HD shotty loaded with reduced recoil 00 for her.The one thing I cannot do is be there to tell her when to shoot if the need arise,having the mindset to shoot to stop a threat is something she needs to prepare for,but one thing in her favor is she's got a cub to defend and the maternal instinct will probably take over.
    As far as crossing state lines with an arsenal until I hit Ks. Ne. state line my CHL is good after that everything has to be unloaded and locked in cases with ammo seperate til we get to her house and on the way to the gun range.Everybody had some good points to offer to make this as short and sweet as possible.To tell you the truth the women that carry and their views on guns they like and carry methods is invaluable to guys like us cause we have wives and daughters and what works for us doesn't always work for them.We got a funshow here in a couple weeks so I will pick up some snap caps and buy some extra mags.I will also steer her to the corneredcat website where she can learn more about SD from women and ask questions without thinking it might be too stupid.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Great Dad you are! She's a lucky girl. Have fun and let us know what she decides on for her own gun.
    MsXD9

[B]"When seconds count police are minutes away"!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links