Taurus Snubnose Revolvers

This is a discussion on Taurus Snubnose Revolvers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I am deciding between a Kel-Tech PF9 or a Snubby .38 for everyday carry. I have a Glock 26 and a Glock 35 but ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taurus Snubnose Revolvers

Ok, I am deciding between a Kel-Tech PF9 or a Snubby .38 for everyday carry. I have a Glock 26 and a Glock 35 but I want something smaller for EVC. I would like to hear of members experiances with any of the Taurus Snubnose Revolver's godd or bad.

Mine has been nothing but 100%. I also have a PF9. They are both good guns. Good luck in choosing one over the other.

Senior Moderator
    I've got a Taurus Model 85. Thats the 5 shot .38 special. It has the Uncle Mikes "boot" grip on it.

I've also got the Keltec PF-9. Its another nifty little gun.

The Taurus will out-shoot the KelTec because the trigger is much better and the gun is generally more accurate.
    The KelTec holds 8 rounds to the revolvers 5 and is much flatter to carry and less noticeable.

Its a matter of personal preference really. I find myself carrying the PF-9 much more than the Taurus.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I often carry a Taurus 617 - 7 shot. I have a 605 - 5 shot for backup. Both are .357's. I recommend getting a .357 even if you only shoot .38's, because they're the same price anyway, and you can go .357 if you want to.

I also have a Keltec PF9. I would take the 617 over the PF9 any day..... for reliability & accuracy, etc. I had people tell me the 7 shot was too big to carry, but I got one anyway, and I"ve found it the easiest and most comfortble one to carry..... including the semi-autos I have....

and the 605, is even easier , but I like the 2 more shots as a Primary.

My mom carries a Taurus 85. It's a good gun, though I prefer the feel (quality and just general fit with my hand) of my Smith J-Frame.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

AEA
    I agree. Have a M85 Ultralite in .38 and have shot reg and +P loads in it and it is fine. Nice little gun for the money. Disappears in your front pocket.

But, like you I want the quality fit and feel of the S&W, so I just bought a New 642-1 (No Lock) Airweight .38+P.

I will retire the Taurus to the console of the car and put the Smith in it's place under the pillow (or in the ankle rig or in the pocket).

I carry a taurus ultra-light .38 hammerless 5 shot revolver. I love it save one thing, a heavy long trigger pull. With practice you get used to the "flop" when it cycles the next round and the trigger becomes a little easier. It's a pretty accurate and very reliable pistol though. I also have it 100% stock.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

Quote Originally Posted by yzcrasher View Post
    I carry a taurus ultra-light .38 hammerless 5 shot revolver. I love it save one thing, a heavy long trigger pull. With practice you get used to the "flop" when it cycles the next round and the trigger becomes a little easier. It's a pretty accurate and very reliable pistol though. I also have it 100% stock.
    Same thing here. Never a problem and very low maintainence - great carry gun, accurate and reliable.

At today's prices however, I suggest you get a Smith&Wesson. They can be found for virtually the same price or maybe a little more and the Smith will hold greater resale value.

Back when I bought my Taurus, Smith's were $200-$250 dollars more. Now, they usually can be found within $100. Well worth the extra money to buy a Smith IMO.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Anyone have any experience with Bond Arms derringers?
    I have been told that the quality is very good but would appreciate any feedback from an owner of one.

AEA
    You should really start your own thread with that question as it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread...........

But I hope you are a good shot,....with only 2 shots available and 4 bad guys all around you..........

Think about it........

I prefer 605 Taurus model instead of a 85. Better fit and finish, 357 capability and no bigger.

I also have and carry a PF9. I carried it today with a P3AT as backup to it.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I would like to hear of members experiances with any of the Taurus Snubnose Revolver's godd or bad.
    I've had a 605 in stainless since June. So far, so good.

I recommend getting a .357 even if you only shoot .38's, because they're the same price anyway, and you can go .357 if you want to.
    That's why I got the 605 over the 85. I've shot maybe 2 cylinders worth of .357 through it though -- it's no fun. Think of it as a beefy .38.

My 605 started out as the house gun for the wife 13 years ago, was promoted to truck gun 5 yrs ago, and then became my constant companion last summer. I agree that it is not a smith, but as someone pointed out earlier, 13 years ago the price gap between the two was substantial. I've never had a problem with it, and don't find 357 to be that uncomfortable. Not something I would want to put 500 rds thru in a range session, though.

I have a 605 in total titanium. It's a great little pistol. Light, easy to carry and powerful.

I just purchased a model 450t, Taurus titanium .45 colt. I think this will be a good carry gun if I can find the right holster.

Ron

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links