22 Magnum For Defense

This is a discussion on 22 Magnum For Defense within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A .22 magnum won't even kill a baby bunny. It is an inadequate round for self defense....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 22 Magnum For Defense

A .22 magnum won't even kill a baby bunny.

It is an inadequate round for self defense.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    A .22 magnum won't even kill a baby bunny.

Ah but it will, even a 22 LR. You could ask Robert Kennedy if he were still alive.

I have the NAA Mini .22 (not the mag)...it is designed for up close and in your face defense. I sometimes toss it in the pocket for an 'extra' or in the gym shorts to cut the grass.
    Not something I would depend upon, but would gladly take it over nothing.
    The .22mag version packs even more of a punch, but up close...either helps.

Do not disregard the power of the .22/.22mag.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

wouldnt a 22mag be a overpenetation nightmare? i cant imagine HPs expandin much
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Sponsor
    22 mag out of the black widow gets 14-18" of penetration. The FBI recommends a round that gets at least 12" of penetration so you'll have to decide if it's too over penetrative for your tastes.

Myself, I hope it punches straight through the BG so there's two bleed holes.

BTW-- it will kill bunnies, but I'm not going to disclose any particulars.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Senior Member Array AZ Desertrat's Avatar
    I have a NAA .22 mag.....it is not my MAIN carry.....but I am not afraid of using it as such, if I have to.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government--lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." --Patrick Henry

SEMPER PARATUS

22mag?? Son if thats your choice stuff it in his ear and bang away, he'll die

"Col.Charles Askins"

As a BU gun I would have no problem. I have a NAA .22 mag and when I carry a BU that's what I carry. Not my first go to gun in a gun fight, but if I have to use it I would be glad I had it.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Since you have another (better) gun in the same size envelope, I definitely wouldn't be carrying a .22
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I would not want to get shot by a .22 or any gun for that matter. A .22 bangs around in your body like a pin ball. Thats why a lot of hit men use them.

VIP Member
    You should all read "ICEMAN - Confessions of a Mafia Hitman" Richard Kuklinski killed hundreds of people with a .22mag. It was his favorite.
    A .22 bangs around in your body like a pin ball. Thats why a lot of hit men use them.
    Assasinating someone by surprise attack at extreme close range is VASTLY different from defending yourself from an armed attacker. Methinks perhaps reading less "True Tales of a Mafia Hit Man" and more "True Tales of Energy Transfer and its Relation to Rapid Incapacitation" might be in order.

And where the heck do these "bouncing around like a pinball" stories come from, and why would we consider that more desireable than repeatable, reliable penetration and expansion?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

If you can place every shot from your .22 with surgical precision and if you have no reaction to the stresses of a situation requiring you to use deadly force, then a .22 would be fine.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    If you can place every shot from your .22 with surgical precision and if you have no reaction to the stresses of a situation requiring you to use deadly force, then a .22 would be fine.

There lies the rub...

People that have never had to deal with a stark raving lunatic thats been on a meth binge for weeks, one that doesn't care if he lives or dies, one that may not even feel pain, or he may even like it,well meaning people giving advice about how wonderful the little .22 is and how effective it can be that have never experienced the worst that man has to offer.

Sure, it has killed just about every animal in the world and it will continue to do so. It does have it's place. They are concealable, some of them beautifully so, and it may even serve a purpose as a backup, but there are many reasons that very few police Dept's even allow them for backup carry.

While I will be the first to admit that I refuse to stand in front of one, I also understand its limitations. While its a fact that it can and will kill, we owe it to ourselves to ask the question, "is it the best tool for the job?"

As OPFOR noted, a .22 to the back of the head into a man that is sitting and unaware of his next step into eternity, or one that is asleep is a vast difference from some one that may be mentally or physically impaired and trying to kill you.

In the quest for the search for the right tool, does it make sense to pick the tool at the extreme end low end of the scale? Do people not realize that if they ever have to shoot in self defense that the chances are statistically high that who ever they have to fire on is not in their right state of mind?

The handgun that we choose to defend ourselves it at best a compromise. No handgun has the fabled "stopping power" that many believe it to have. When the SHTF and you need to protect yourself, or the lives of the people in this world that mean the most to you, you owe it to them to to use the most effective tool that you possibly can.

My advice to new shooter is to shoot the biggest caliber that you are comfortable with. By comfortable, I mean the ability to manipulate controls, the ability to draw and fire and hit the target repeatedly, by using a gun that you are proficient with.

If you have some physical limitation that disallows using a bigger caliber, then you'll just have to do what you have to do and hope for the best. The average person though, should have NO problems using a standard .38 Special or a 9MM.

Since this is a gun forum where advice is freely given and taken, before you decide that you are sufficiently protected with the .22, do some research.

Do a search here and use other sources, the INTERNET is vast and has a wealth of knowledge. Ask yourself why many police Dept's. have migrated back to the ..45 with many of them upgrading to at least the .40. Read up on actual shootings and what transpired. Notice what happens when a bad guy is shot by a good guy and see how long it takes even a major caliber to permanently shutdown the bad guy. Look around you and see what others are carrying. In todays age of plastic and machining technology when it comes to making guns, there is really no reason to carry anything less than a 9mm for defense. We have it better now, today,with more options to carry than we have ever had before.

Carrying a gun for self defense is a serious thing, about as serious as it gets. I personally don't consider a .22 to be a valid tool for self defense and if I have to shoot some scuzball that hasn't showered for 3 weeks and in the worst form of a predator that has ever walked the earth that is just looking for his next fix...and he is carrying a wicked looking knife with someone else's dried blood on it to help him get it... I would prefer to shoot him with a high powered rifle. Since I cant carry that with me everwhere I go, I will use the next best thing...and it aint the .22.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I think the DC forum needs a separate space called "The Caliber Wars". There are always at least two or three threads going about this at any given moment.
    A veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his/her life, wrote a blank check made payable
    to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life." Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    There lies the rub...

People that have never had to deal with a stark raving lunatic thats been on a meth binge for weeks, one that doesn't care if he lives or dies, one that may not even feel pain, or he may even like it,well meaning people giving advice about how wonderful the little .22 is and how effective it can be that have never experienced the worst that man has to offer.
    That's well stated and calls to mind Mas Ayoob's accounting of the Steve Chaney incident, in which Officer Chaney and his partner encountered a PCP and cocaine crazed monster. Officer Chaney's female partner was killed in this encounter and the bad guy took 10 direct 38Spl hits before he was finally stopped, including one to the top of the head which amazingly missed the brain. The hit that finally stopped him was a shot to the pelvis region. This gory accounting can be found in The Ayoob Files The Book. It's interesting reading and shows a bit of what you may be up against in an encounter with someone crazy on drugs.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links