22 or 32 Revolvers?

22 or 32 Revolvers?

This is a discussion on 22 or 32 Revolvers? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any "normal" sized 22 or 32 caliber revolvers out there? One with a very light DA pull? My mom would like a gun, but she ...

Thread: 22 or 32 Revolvers?

22 or 32 Revolvers?

Any "normal" sized 22 or 32 caliber revolvers out there? One with a very light DA pull? My mom would like a gun, but she has a bit of arthritis, so racking an SA is out of the question. Minimal recoil (hence the 22/32) is also in order. She can't even load or rack my wife's Tomcat!

Ruger SP101 327 Magnum

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    Any "normal" sized 22 or 32 caliber revolvers out there?
    I Just took possession of a Ruger SP101 327 magnum. I was on the waiting list for 6 months to get it, but it might be an option for you. It's a 6 shot revolver that will chamber (in progressive loads): 32 S&W, 32 Long, 32 H&R Magnum, Federal 327 Magnum.

Look for used, 9-shot revolvers at any gun show. If they're scratched some you can often get them for under $100. The H&R models usually have a fairly nice trigger...both SA and DA. Some of the others have rather heavy DA.
    22 is so cheap she can get lots of target practice and a 22 she can shoot is better than something bigger she isn't used to.

You might take a look at the S&W 431/432 PD (open hammer/hammerless). I use one for ankle carry when my usual IWB P239 is a no-go. J-frame chambered for .32 H&R mag, but will also take .32 long or regular .32's. Very nice little piece that might fit what you're looking for. Possible issue is that it's an airweight (very light) so the recoil--at least if your using the magnums--might be a little more than you're looking to give momma. DAO pull is about average.

Just throwing it out there; might be worth a look.
    --Dave

"Mr. Bobby, there's no smoking in here."
    "It's alright darlin, I'm a volunteer fireman."

A little J-frame either 2" or 3" would work for her. They make them in both calibers.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

She might do well with one of the .32 pistols made by Beretta and Taurus that have a flip-up barrel so that there is no need to rack the slide to chamber a round.

If she is not going to carry it concealed, why not try a 20g shotgun?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    I believe Ruger and Taurus both offer revolvers chambered for 32 H&R Mag. Either will handle the .32 S&W round as well as the .32 H&R Mag round. Although not a reliable SD round, it is better than being unarmed.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I don't mean to hijack rustynuts' original question but I'm curious about archer's opinion on the .32 H&R. Neither is my intent to start up a caliber war.

You said the H&R mag is not a reliable SD round. What makes that the case? Granted .32 is not as big a hole as .40, but that is why I use it as an alternative when I can't carry my primary choice. However, the reading I've done indicates the .32 magnums are very close to the performance of .38 specials which seems to be a generally accepted SD round.

If I'm totally missing something here, please point it out. I don't want to be toting something that's not going to perform when I need it.

Again, not looking for a caliber fight, just curious as to your thinking archer.
    --Dave

VIP Member
    These charts are from Guns and Ammo. Although Velocity is similar, the difference in muzzle and down range energy is substantial.

BULLET BARREL LENGTH VELOCITY (fps) ENERGY
    WT. TYPE (INCHES) MUZZ. 50 YDS. MUZZ. 50 YDS

.22 Win Mag. 50 JHP 1070 991 127 109
    .32 H&R Mag 85 JHP 3.75 1000 921 189 160
    .380 Auto 85 JHP 4.5 1100 1020 230 195
    .38 Spec. 110 JHP V4 945 894 218 195
    .38 Spec. 125 JHP V4 900 856 225 203
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Thanks. I had seen some numbers that were a little different (I think also on G&A somewhere)... probably a different bullet weight. Good point on the energy though.
    --Dave

Links