Charter 357 pug?

This is a discussion on Charter 357 pug? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone own one of these snubbies? What is your opinion? I am looking at buying one. I like the feel of the grip over the ...

Thread: Charter 357 pug?

Charter 357 pug?

Anyone own one of these snubbies? What is your opinion? I am looking at buying one. I like the feel of the grip over the Taurus?
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I had one and I liked it. I should't have sold it. It was rough - - gritty cylinder rotation, and it always felt to me like it was about to fall apart. I always anticipated problems, but never had one. It was as accurate as my Smiths, too.

That thing was dirt cheap, and most important of all, it never, ever failed to go "bang" when I pulled the trigger.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Don't know about the .357, but I've got a .44 Spl. PUG, about 18 months old (or less). It's great, and feels smooth and solid. Been a very pleasant surprise, I highly recommend it!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Why do so many call these guns "loose" ? I have the Charter 2000 44 special Pug (Vigilante gun). The cylinder, when open, spins like it is on roller bearings (compared to my Smiths). When the cylinder is closed it snaps in line firmly. The gun cylinder cycles smoothly/firmly when firing. It is accurate out to 7 yards (the maximum range I practice with it). It is a heavy revolver for carry, though I have IWB. I like it and have had no problems. It cost me about $240 NIB, I'm sure it is more expensive now. Replaced it with a S&W 637 and the Pug is now located near the home front door except for Range trips.

I would recommend.

jfl
    I had so many problems with Charter Arms that I wouldn't have one if it was given to me.
    I had bought new, a .38spl 3" barrel; it went back to the factory 3 times; the second time they sent it back to me with a .22 barrel but it still have the .38 cylinder !!! The gun shop showed it to all their customers before sending it back.
    The whole ordeal took over a year.
    I traded it in for a SW airweight in .38.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Since Charter has gone thru numerous bankruptsies (sp) and other problems I have heard numerous horror stories. I always thought it would be helpful if we knew the timing of these horror stories as WHEN might make a difference in decision making. For example: Beretta Tomcats 3032 (frame cracks) and Kahr PM9 (peening)..... are these problems resolved at the factory line now or are they still occuring in NEW guns ? Does any one else see this as a problem ? To continue to bad mouth a gun for decades after the problem is resolved is just not right.

I like Charter Arms and haven't had any issues with their guns. I think that they are good, solid revolvers and a good value for the money. Certainly they are utilitarian in appearance and finish but, in my experience, they function well and will do the job they're intended for. Of course, you can take a solid gun like a Charter Arms that is a little rough around the edges and it'll clean up nice if you want to put a little money and/or effort into it.

For example, I have a stainless Charter 2000 Bulldog Pug .44spl that I picked up at a local gun shop for $165 a few years ago. It looked like it had been stuck in a leather holster and left there. There was some fine pitting on the barrel and a little rust in a few other spots, I assume from moisture in the holster, but the bore was clean and shiny and it locked up tight so I bought it. I cleaned it up and shot it and it worked fine and was accurate enough so I've kept it around, mostly as a truck gun. I did send it back to Charter Arms to have them make sure everything was in good shape. I also asked if they could install a bobbed hammer and and cut the grip frame down to fit the short boot grips that come on their OffDuty .38. Well, they did what I asked and gave it a clean bill of health but the job on the grip frame was very rough, as though whoever did the work just eye balled it and then took a grinder to the gun! It was functional and they didn't charge me so I didn't complain but I wasn't pleased with the job and left it the way it was until a couple of months ago. I'd heard about a gunsmith near me that does custom work and I thought that the Bulldog would be the perfect guinea pig to try them out on before letting them work on my more expensive guns.

Anyway, I took the gun to them (Dietrich Gunsmithy in Otis, ME) and asked them to clean up the grip frame as best they could, smooth some sharp edges around the trigger guard, smooth and polish the trigger and polish the hammer, shave the front sight and install a fiber optic, bead blast the whole thing, and do an action job. I got it back about 6 weeks later and they did a terrific job. It is a completely different gun and looks better than new! The fiber optic sight is nicely dovetailed in place, the grip frame looks like the gun was made that way to begin with, and the action is much improved - the SA pull is clean and crisp with no grittiness or creep and the DA pull is a couple of pounds lighter than it was and much smoother. The entire job was just under $200 so now I'm into the gun for $400 (including the $35 to ship it to C.A.) and I couldn't be happier with it. In fact, I believe that if Charter Arms were to market a similar package they'd have a hard time keeping up with demand.

Here's some pics:

Last edited by WC145; November 29th, 2008 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Added photos

Links