Firepower Vs. Size......Whats the Best

This is a discussion on Firepower Vs. Size......Whats the Best within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering!!!! I am wanting a new carry gun, something pretty small....small enough to carry in a jacket pocket. I was thinking about the NAA ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firepower Vs. Size......Whats the Best

Firepower Vs. Size......Whats the Best

Just wondering!!!! I am wanting a new carry gun, something pretty small....small enough to carry in a jacket pocket. I was thinking about the NAA 380 until I seen the Kahr PM9. Not having seen both together, what do you guys think. I will be going to a gun store Thursday....but just wanted some discussion to help me make a decision.

I really do like the Kahr PM9!!!!!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    personaly i carry a kahr pm9 anytime my pants are on . that being said personaly i wouldnt go the naa for 380 , i happen to have a walther ppks that i carry .380 not for everyone but i find it shoots like a target .22 that is why ill carry it . if i were gonna go concealable .380 it would be kel tech p3at and do a " fluff and buff" on it i personaly cant hit chit with the little brutes ( with my pm 9 i can keep em on a paper plate out to 25 yards ) anyway the ONLY reasons to carry a .380 is 1. uniqueness ; like when at a bbq i am the only one with one much less with a german walther and 2. size / money constraints other than the rorbagh , rorbah , oO( p95 help me here ) and the khar a .380 can be had smaller than a full 9 , myself i have the kahr oO( i cant afford that swiss watch nor do i want to give up real sights ) but i would say most bang for the buck is the kahr ( assuming your willing to do an honest break in shoot for it , and you recognise your downsizing to the " ragged edge of the caliber envelope " and may have to pander to the action ( extra cleaning , lube , ect ) see some of the small size 1911 posts here to see what i mean

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    I'll throw a vote out for the SIMIAN Micro

JT
    I often carry a Glock 26 when I need a smaller carry gun, but it is a little heavey for a jacket pocket. In a jacket pocket I use a S&W 642.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

You might also want to look at the Bersa Thunder. Its hard to beat for the money. One well known reviewer said the Bersa was twice as good as the Walther, at half of the money. I think its a very overlooked gun.
    You better pray I dont jam, because my backup is a ball peen hammer.

I had a Bersa 380. It was a real nice gun....I just traded it for a 45, but I liked it alot. Not 1 bad thing to say about it. I am just tempted to go for the 9mm than the 380 round.!!!!

I seem to buy and trade new guns alot....LOL

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Ill back up cleaning accident. the Thunder 380 is one of the most accurate guns out there. You have to shoot it to believe it. Its small, light and very accurate. There has been rumor of a concealed version due to come out last year.(no one has seen it, though) More cannot be said for the trigger. The double is lighter than most singles and the single is amazing. www.bersatalk.com I know you guys like forums.
    Attached Images
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruces45
    I'll throw a vote out for the SIMIAN Micro
    I looked on the web for this gun, couldn't find a thing. Anyone know where I can find some info??
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    ya know on reflection i will only advise shoot anything ya can get your hands on , then carry the smallest thing ya can in a serious caliber , and serious cal depends on your shooting ability if you can take a .380 and place multiple hits on a playing card sized target @ 15 yards in 3 seconds from draw , then carry it , if not start shoping for a small " larger caliber " gun to have with ya .. that is about all i can say on the whole firepower/caliber arguement

Administrative Ban Array Bruces45's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    I looked on the web for this gun, couldn't find a thing. Anyone know where I can find some info??
    Jarhead, its a special order piece. Its only made as a BUG for Simian's.

its a spiecal photo chop for monkey boy bruce

Most large caliber guns are simply too impractical for everyday wear and comfort. Sometimes you have other things to do besides "carry" a hand cannon. A smaller caliber is all you need to buy enough time to get something much larger than a pistol round.
    A few rounds from a .380 can leave enough smoke and people hitting the pavement for me to run across the Mega-Lo parking lot and get my truck door open.
    Then its gonna be a real bad day for anyone that is making me "fear for my life" and probably anyone else in his near vicinity.
    You better pray I dont jam, because my backup is a ball peen hammer.

Bruce ... is it just me or does that slide say "1910?" And what's the mag hold, 3 or 4? LOL

Please Bruce just put the weapon down and step AWAY from the tire swing.
    Jack

Assistant Administrator
    Jack - yep - it's a 1910 - very small mag capacity. It's a custom I engineered for Bruce

I will add my 2c for the Bersa - astonishing gun IMO and while I would love to upgrade my wife's carry (heck, it used to be my gun!) to at least 9mm - I am at ease with her currently using the Thunder - she is good with it and that counts for a lot.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Redneck Repairs, I can't do that with my 1911. Guess I need more training. --------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links