Sig P232 owners

Sig P232 owners

This is a discussion on Sig P232 owners within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friendly hello to 232 owners. I have one on order and wanted to get feedback on your experience with the P232 at the range, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig P232 owners

Sig P232 owners

A friendly hello to 232 owners. I have one on order and wanted to get feedback on your experience with the P232 at the range, in your pocket, holster preferences and anything else you think would be helpful. Thanks in advance
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drs1457 View Post
    A friendly hello to 232 owners. I have one on order and wanted to get feedback on your experience with the P232 at the range, in your pocket, holster preferences and anything else you think would be helpful. Thanks in advance
    A great gun, destined to be ranked as a "classic". Which model did you order? I prefer the alloy model for carry due to it's light weight and the stainless model for general range work.

I carry one in a Galgo Fletch or in a Miami Classic. I would recommend the Mitch Rosen Premier also. In my opinion the P232 is really too big to be considered a pocket gun (pants), unless your talking about a jacket or such.

Helpful tips; mind the ejector bar when cleaning as it can pop off the frame. Keep the rails well lubed. You may want to also buy some Hogue rubber grips, as they are popular with P232 owner due to comfort, great grip and low price. Nill grips dress up a stainless model and turn it into a work of art.

Some folks have claimed their Sig is ammo sensitive, mine are not, but if so, take the time to find what ammo functions. These are well made, accurate pistols worth being in any collection, IMHO.

Here's my set...
    Last edited by ripley16; November 30th, 2008 at 09:01 AM.

I recently acquired a P232 myself. It's only the third handgun I've purchased in my entire life and the first non polymer pistol ( the others being a Glock 17 about 15 yrs ago and HK P2000 earlier this year ).

I'm amazed at how well constructed this little gun is. It feels very solid. I've only got the chance to get it out to the range once so far but it seems to be a tack driver.

This gun is my "summer gun" because it can be easily concealed in the pockets of my cargo shorts or in the waistband of my Speedo.

As far as ammo goes, I've only shot WWB and haven't had a failure to feed yet ( but I've only put 100 rounds through it )

Mine's a stainless version with the stock grips but I am probably going to go for the Nils grips because they look so purdy on those pics of yours Ripley. I love the rainbow finish on that gun of yours.

VIP Member
    I have a P230 - almost identical to the P232. A great little gun; much more accurate than anyone has the right to expect, slim, good trigger, easy to shoot, reliable, and so on. There are smaller/lighter pistols out there that pack a similar punch, but very few are as "sexy" as the P230/232 while still being ultra-reliable and quick to action.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I have a 232 that I purchased from my Sis in Law. She's a state trooper, and it was issued to her as a plain clothes back up gun. The state offered it to her when they rotated service fierearms, she purchased it from them and I talked her into selling it to me. It's a stainless model in .380 with Hougue grips. It's as accurate as any .380 that I've shot, and I never experienced any problems even with reloads. Except for the euro style mag release, it's a very nice pistol.
    Attached Images
    Slaves are taken care of. Free men take care of themselves.

http://www.texasguntalk.com/

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I have a 232 that looks identical (right down to the Hogue grips) to the middle one in the picture Ripley posted. There isn't much to say about it. If you've ever owned a Sig, you know what I mean. It's extremely accurate and very reliable, just like you'd expect from a Sig. Awesome gun.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

P232 Two Tone with night sights!!

I love this gun! Sold the Glock 23 for this one. Whenever I intend to get some range time or even shooting out in the woods I take a few but this one ALWAYS goes with. I am so accurate with this gun. Now and then I want something with a little more fire power for concealed carry but never seem to replace this one. It is so comfortable to hold and shoot. I put the Hogue rubber grips on it, it's like a glove. When carrying I use two differnt holsters. If I know I'll have to remove it often that day I'll use the Uncle Mikes inside the pant nylon holster but if I'll be wearing it most of the day it's the Galco SOB204, this is a very comfortable and secure holster for me.

I'v shot probably a 1000 or more rounds with not one jam. Used mostly reloads but also plenty of factory winchester at the range. Defense loads are Corbon, I believe 90 grain hollow points and it feeds them perfectly.

It's also very easy to strip and clean.

I very much like my 1911 but it's to heavy for concealed carry. Been toying with getting a lightweight commander or combat commander but not sure due to it still being a good amount heavier than the 232.
    Last edited by yodal; November 30th, 2008 at 10:55 AM. Reason: more info

Hey all, thanks for great feedback. I will check out each of the holster recommendations. Ripley, I got the blued one (the lightest one) as I wanted it as a primary carry weapon.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Try running some Federal Premium low recoil JHP through it and compare your results to a standard load ball ammo. I was shocked at how accurate I was with the low recoil loads. (I'm a newbie to handguns).

2 things to remember with this gun. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS- when you rack the slide, just let it go after you have pulled it back. I found the JHP's like to jam on the ramp if you hang onto the slide. Use good magazines with stiff springs. I tried a cheap magazine and it wouldn't feed the last round.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I have a P230 - almost identical to the P232. A great little gun; much more accurate than anyone has the right to expect, slim, good trigger, easy to shoot, reliable, and so on. There are smaller/lighter pistols out there that pack a similar punch, but very few are as "sexy" as the P230/232 while still being ultra-reliable and quick to action.
    +1
    I went to a gun show in '93 specifically to buy a HK P7. I was surprised that I couldn't find one that day but did find a P230 for $420.
    I still have it and will never part with it. Simple, safe, accurate, ultra reliable and it feels soooooo good in my hand.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Unfortunately I have a PPK instead of a 232, because I got it used. However I've put a lot of ammo thru the 230 the range has and love the way the way they shoot. I like my PPK but if I ever got the chance to get rid of it and replace it with a 232 I'd jump at the chance.

I guess I'm left out of this. I have a P228.
    Pro-Peace & Pro Piece

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytshooter View Post
    Unfortunately I have a PPK instead of a 232, because I got it used. However I've put a lot of ammo thru the 230 the range has and love the way the way they shoot. I like my PPK but if I ever got the chance to get rid of it and replace it with a 232 I'd jump at the chance.
    Hoytshooter, why do you feel this way? I came very close to picking up a PPK/S before ordering the P232. To me, the PPK felt top heavy but I didn't fire it, just handled it. Why do you prefer the Sig?
    Thanks
    Certified Glock Armorer

My p232 is a $900 jam-a-matic. In 2009 they changed the design and there is a mistake on the breech face. I have shot 400 rounds of premium ammo and had a 30% failure rate .... mostly double feeds

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    My p232 is a $900 jam-a-matic. In 2009 they changed the design and there is a mistake on the breech face. I have shot 400 rounds of premium ammo and had a 30% failure rate .... mostly double feeds
    Jacob,

Well, at least this time you only had to go back 2-1/2 years to find another P232 thread to dribble on. The last one was 5 years old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links