1911, lightest weight one for concealed carry??

This is a discussion on 1911, lightest weight one for concealed carry?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'v done a bunch of searching but keep finding additional models. There seem to be sooo many 1911 and 1991's out there that I cant ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911, lightest weight one for concealed carry??

1911, lightest weight one for concealed carry??

I'v done a bunch of searching but keep finding additional models. There seem to be sooo many 1911 and 1991's out there that I cant get it straight.

I would like to know what are the lightest 1911's in both 3" and 4 1/4".

It's primarily for concealed carry but it will also be my general go to gun for range time. That's why Im interested in the 4 1/4".

Currently carring a Sig P232, love this gun but feeling that in the winter I want more fire power than the .380.

2. Remove Ads

I want to say the Kimber ultra carry (aluminum frame) . My wife has the Ultra carry II in 9mm and it is very light but all stainless.

Do your best to try at least a couple out before you buy, I think the Springer EMP line is pretty light also.

I daily carry my Springfield SS Champion and also use it in IDPA, with a Sparks VMII I forget it's there.

The lightest 1911 might not be the best for you recoil wise or then again maybe it will.

Have fun trying them out.

A 3" barreled aluminum alloy frame is the lightest possible - not necessarily the best solution though.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

My Kimber Ultra CDP II with an empty mag is supposed to be 25 ounces...fairly light for a 1911. My Compact CDP is 27 ounces...others may chime in...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

In the COLT world... The defender and the new agent are the ones you're interested in. 22.5 and 25oz respectively (yes, the defender is lighter than the new agent)... CCO platform is a good way to go in the 4 1/4"... Officers frame and commander slide -- the Colt CCO is 32 oz.

Not sure I'd use a New Agent for lots of range shooting, since it only has the trench sights. CCO platform is great size, imho...

Outside of Colt, the Kimber SIS ultra is 31oz. Springfield Micro-Compact (3" bbl) is 24oz.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Any aluminum framed commander would fit the bill... Kimber Pro Carry, Springfield lightweight models, Colt lightweight commander, etc, etc. They are all relatively the same weight. I think my Colt was 26 oz unloaded. It was light, but not much fun to shoot in IDPA.

I certainly don't feel underpowered carrying 12 rounds of 9mm with my M&P compact. It is light, very concealable, I shoot it well, and is a joy to shoot. But by all means, commander size 1911's are great. Just not MY preferred carry gun.

Pic of my Colt after a few mods... They come from the factory with razor blade edges, so unless you want to spend on a carry bevel treatment, buy one already smoothed out. I sold to fund an evil black rifle and I don't regret it. Even though it was purty. It's likely I'll buy another 1911 in the future.

---------------------------------------
    www.GeorgiaCarry.org Member
    ---------------------------------------

I would think that a C&S Adventurer with a titanium frame would be the smallest and lightest on the market. It has a 3 inch barrel and the frame is significantly chopped. It is also fun at the range. However, it is a bunch more money than what others have been discussing.
    Last edited by NYCMedic; November 30th, 2008 at 01:34 PM.
    Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

VIP Member
    SIG 1911 RCS is another option for you, 30 oz.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    My Kimber Ultra Carry weighs 25oz empty. Easy to conceal.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

25 ounces - aluminum frame 3 inch 1911s

Typically the 3 inch 1911s with aluminum frame weigh about 25 ounces empty. These would include the Kimber Ultra, the Colt Defender, and several other brands. A 4 inch 1911 with aluminum frame, like the Kimber Pro, weighs about 28 ounces empty.

If you want the smallest possible 1911 and concealment is a priority, the 3 inchers are good. If you can conceal the 4 inch version, however, you will get a longer grip, longer sighting radius and more muzzle velocity than the 3 inchers.

I have one of each, a Colt Defender and a Kimber Pro CDP. The Defender is easier to conceal but I prefer shooting the Kimber because it is larger and recoils less.

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

The 4-1/4" Commander PD or Sc from Smith & Wesson are very light. The frame is made of Scandium, an aluminum alloy that is lighter and stronger than regular aluminum. The frame by itself is amazingly light.

For the 3", I use a Colt New Agent.

Kimber Ultra CDP in a OWB, hooked on a Beltman horsehide belt, covered by a fleece jacket. No one knows its there...including me sometimes.
    CARRY GUNS:
    S&W 638, Ruger LCP, Kimber Ultra CDP

ccwguy-

Do you have 2 guns, or are they before and after bobtailing?

I was very dissapointed when SW dropped this model! Lucky you!
    I could never really warm up to the blued version.
    I ended up with a SA Champion to make me feel better.

Where in OH are you located?

Jamie

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yodal View Post
    I'v done a bunch of searching but keep finding additional models. There seem to be sooo many 1911 and 1991's out there that I cant get it straight.
    I would like to know what are the lightest 1911's in both 3" and 4 1/4".
    It's primarily for concealed carry but it will also be my general go to gun for range time. That's why Im interested in the 4 1/4".
    -------

I Strongly advise AGAINST buying any 1911 with a barrel under
    4" , or any .45acp Semiauto under 24 0z unloaded weight.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I carry both a stainless Officer's (3 1/2"), and a Lightweight Stainless Commander. Compact and heavy, or medium and light. I carry with the same model holster. Deciding which to carry is about as much of a coin toss as deciding on black or brown boots in the morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links