Defensive Carry banner

Ruger LCP- Very Impressive!

3K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  RevDerb 
#1 · (Edited)
Yesterday, I purchased a Ruger LCP at the gun show in Orlando. I was immediately impressed with the solid feel of the gun in my hand and when working the action. It didn't have that "el cheapo" feel of the Kel-Tec 380.
This particular gun was new in the box and had already been returned to Ruger by the dealer for the factory recall. The second magazine had been removed by the dealer. (Small price to pay for them doing the shipping).
The gun shot very well at the range this morning. I fired about 65 rounds and had two failure to return to batterys. I'm hoping this was only because of the break in of the rails. The accuracy was superb for a tiny gun. Very impressive!
The jury is still out on this gun but maybe I can carry this when a 9mm just won't work.
Any similar reports from anyone?

PS... That gun show was PACKED. Barak Obama has sold more guns than anyone.

#2 ·
I have had no problems with mine. I am waiting for my mailer box to send mine for the recall. I like it alot....much better than the
Jam-O-Matic Kel Tec I owned a couple years ago.

#7 ·
I've definitely enjoyed carrying and shooting the LCP. I too am waiting for the recall box to show up... however, it will return with a new magazine. I'm curious to see how I like the magazine extension.

It took me a little warming up to a .380, but it's been easier to shoot and more accurate each time I go to the range. My wife loves to carry it everywhere.

#8 ·
I have one and like the gun a lot. I'm sure it will take Ruger some time to correct all the guns, but, it IS a very large number of guns an can't be done overnight. Many people seemed to be angry about the time to get a shipping box to send it out, at least they can still carry it. I'm sure it's not the only gun that will go bang when dropped and Ruger is rectifying the problem without being prompted by any outside forces.

#9 ·
I have a very early LCP. Mine runs 100% with most ammo, but will not run on others, (can't even get through a complete magazine). So, I just avoid using those brands that malfunction. I carry the LCP all the time because it is so easy to carry. My carry ammo is Rem Golden Sabres or Black hills 95 Gr. HP, which have been 100%.

#10 ·
Our LCP works good too. We've had it maybe six months now and I don't think it has ever failed to fire with any of the ammo we have been using. I carry a small Beretta .380 Cheetah with Pachmeyer grips so there's really no comparison between them, but for being carried around in my wife's purse the LCP is perfect. It already weighs enough without being weighed down with a hog-leg in it. I know that if she needs it, it'll be there to perform as required. It's also great to stick in my cargo shorts pocket when we're out together and we doin't want to pack anything big.

As far as the recall goes, we're not worried because we are carefull not to drop any of our weapons. We'll send it back to Ruger for the recall work in good time after the surge is over. I just hope the new modifications don't alter the guns reliability any.:smile:

#13 ·
ruger recall

Ruger had a problem with accidental discharge of the LCP when it was dropped.
The Ruger website describes the fix and how they mark the frame with a small diamond mark to indicate it being repaired.
If you buy an LCP that has not yet been returned for the recall, you should ask for a substantial discount price.

#16 ·
I like my LCP, I did have to have it send in earlier though for repair. The magazine was falling out when I fired it every once in awhile. They installed a new takedown pin, a trigger bar, and the trigger pivot. Fired 50 rounds through it and no more problems. But I seen my pistol is now part of that safety recall. If I had known they'd give me a free magazine I wouldn't have already bought a second magazine. Oh well having three will be better.

#17 ·
congrats!

i hope you like your new LCP. they sure do look nice. i purchased a KT P3AT (2nd generation) and it's been 100% reliable with many different kinds and brands of ammo.

these little .380s are so easy to carry and shoot. i carry mine loaded with Buffalo Bore JHPs. if you like recoil and optimum ballistics, you should check it out. i recommend not shooting more than a mag or two of the BB's; they pack quite a punch!

kb

#18 ·
This just shows how we are all different. I wanted a .380 for a pocket gun. A friend let me shoot his LCP. I didn't like anything about it. The worst trigger I have ever seen on any gun. I bought a Bersa Thunder and it is one of the most accurate pistols I own.

#20 ·
LCP

We finally got one in the gunshop that wasn't pre-paid and spoken for. I was disapointed in the fact that it makes "smileys" just like the Kel Tec. Wish they would have fixed that at Ruger.

Sugarmill, is that the Turnbull / NSB sugarmill?

#22 ·
We love our LCP, soon as it comes back from recall, I'll be getting a Crossbreed Mini and a Crimson Trace laser to go with the new extended mag! Checked out the Micro Eagle, pretty cool, too much $$$$

#26 ·
I agree about the comment about "smilies". Although I own and really like my LCP (I have a P3AT as well). It has always bugged me that they produce the smilies. I've been careful to watch for any indication of set back and haven't had a problem with the way I manage/rotate rounds but Ruger missed a real opportunity to fix that little problem. It may be that they deemed it just that, a "little problem", and didn't want to make too much of a design change to get rid of it.

Personally, I think Keltec has a unique opportunity to "leapfrog" the LCP with third generation P3AT if they can make it really reliable, improve the sights and grip, add a lock on last round feature, eliminate smilies, etc and keep the price point and basic size. Do that and they'll steal the thunder from the introduction of the P380 and they'll put a hurt'n to the LCP.

Of course, if it was that easy, they'd likely have done it by now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.