Ruger LCP- Very Impressive!

This is a discussion on Ruger LCP- Very Impressive! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yesterday, I purchased a Ruger LCP at the gun show in Orlando. I was immediately impressed with the solid feel of the gun in my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP- Very Impressive!

Yesterday, I purchased a Ruger LCP at the gun show in Orlando. I was immediately impressed with the solid feel of the gun in my hand and when working the action. It didn't have that "el cheapo" feel of the Kel-Tec 380.
    This particular gun was new in the box and had already been returned to Ruger by the dealer for the factory recall. The second magazine had been removed by the dealer. (Small price to pay for them doing the shipping).
    The gun shot very well at the range this morning. I fired about 65 rounds and had two failure to return to batterys. I'm hoping this was only because of the break in of the rails. The accuracy was superb for a tiny gun. Very impressive!
    The jury is still out on this gun but maybe I can carry this when a 9mm just won't work.
    Any similar reports from anyone?

PS... That gun show was PACKED. Barak Obama has sold more guns than anyone.
    Last edited by SugarmillMan; November 30th, 2008 at 07:52 PM.

I have had no problems with mine. I am waiting for my mailer box to send mine for the recall. I like it alot....much better than the
    Jam-O-Matic Kel Tec I owned a couple years ago.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

how much did you buy yours for if you don't mind me asking? and which dealer? i've been looking long and hard @ them but i think i'll wait/hope for prices to come down on them or for ruger to come out w/ it in 9mm version

I paid about 290 for mine out the door.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

damn last time i saw a price on a lcp it was @ least $350 before tax

Quote Originally Posted by Hivoltage View Post
    Jam-O-Matic Kel Tec
    I think they have gotten better in the past couple of years. Cheap feeling? yes. Go bang consistently? yes (for me at least)

I've definitely enjoyed carrying and shooting the LCP. I too am waiting for the recall box to show up... however, it will return with a new magazine. I'm curious to see how I like the magazine extension.

It took me a little warming up to a .380, but it's been easier to shoot and more accurate each time I go to the range. My wife loves to carry it everywhere.

I have one and like the gun a lot. I'm sure it will take Ruger some time to correct all the guns, but, it IS a very large number of guns an can't be done overnight. Many people seemed to be angry about the time to get a shipping box to send it out, at least they can still carry it. I'm sure it's not the only gun that will go bang when dropped and Ruger is rectifying the problem without being prompted by any outside forces.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    I have a very early LCP. Mine runs 100% with most ammo, but will not run on others, (can't even get through a complete magazine). So, I just avoid using those brands that malfunction. I carry the LCP all the time because it is so easy to carry. My carry ammo is Rem Golden Sabres or Black hills 95 Gr. HP, which have been 100%.

Our LCP works good too. We've had it maybe six months now and I don't think it has ever failed to fire with any of the ammo we have been using. I carry a small Beretta .380 Cheetah with Pachmeyer grips so there's really no comparison between them, but for being carried around in my wife's purse the LCP is perfect. It already weighs enough without being weighed down with a hog-leg in it. I know that if she needs it, it'll be there to perform as required. It's also great to stick in my cargo shorts pocket when we're out together and we doin't want to pack anything big.

As far as the recall goes, we're not worried because we are carefull not to drop any of our weapons. We'll send it back to Ruger for the recall work in good time after the surge is over. I just hope the new modifications don't alter the guns reliability any.
    Fear is a reaction.......
    Courage is a decision.

FOR GOD, FOR COUNTRY AND FOR BLUE MAX

Blue Max 24, U.S. Army, RVN 1972

Magnum Research has a .380 that looks to be almost identical but I have seen no pricing yet or read a review.

what is this recall? if i buy one of these at the gunshow now, will i have to send it in? what do i check to make sure i don't get the recalled one?

thanks

ruger recall

Ruger had a problem with accidental discharge of the LCP when it was dropped.
    The Ruger website describes the fix and how they mark the frame with a small diamond mark to indicate it being repaired.
    If you buy an LCP that has not yet been returned for the recall, you should ask for a substantial discount price.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    The recall involves those models with serial #s starting with 370#####. Go to the Ruger website for info.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldthunder View Post
    what is this recall? if i buy one of these at the gunshow now, will i have to send it in? what do i check to make sure i don't get the recalled one?

thanks

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...cp-recall.html

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links