Help Choose CCW?

This is a discussion on Help Choose CCW? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by concealed Got a price for Glock 26 ($449), Trijicon night sights ($99), and extended grip ($8) with everything installed. THis is a ...

View Poll Results: Best Reasonably Priced 9mm Conceal Carry

Voters
241. You may not vote on this poll
  • CZ 2075 RAMI

17 7.05%
  • Taurus Millenium Pro

16 6.64%
  • SpringField XD

60 24.90%
  • Glock 26

82 34.02%
  • SIG Sauer P239

43 17.84%
  • Berreta PX4 Storm

8 3.32%
  • Kahr PM9

42 17.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help Choose CCW?

Quote Originally Posted by concealed View Post
    Got a price for Glock 26 ($449), Trijicon night sights ($99), and extended grip ($8) with everything installed. THis is a new in the box gun. Plan on getting it this Friday or Saturday.

Glad you found a great deal too!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    cheap is different then retaining value. Having something ultra-standard and common (Glock or XD) makes buying and selling it used fairly simple. Most used Glocks that I have seen are around $100 less then the new ones...

you could just buy a used one now...save the $100 to break it in.

edit: Oh good choice!

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    $449 for a new G26? Jeez. Cheapest price anywhere near me is $100 more

What store was this? It might be worth a drive if I ever want another one!

It is law enforcement only. If you are LE, it is a great shop.

OK...being a longtime hunter, I have always dealt with safeties, and I cannot get it out of my mine. I have heard the pros and cons, and just think I may want it. The gun that meets all criteria is the Ruger SR9. I believe it is larger than Glock 26? Anyone have comments on this? Right now I will be getting the Glock 26 unless I here good comments about the Ruger SR9. Then I may consider that one.

I love the SR9. Bought it pre-recall.

Nice and thin, full-size grip is still thin, 17+1 rounds, ruger quality 3-dot fully adjustable sights. The trigger started out kind of numb but got better, and then I had to break it in again after the recall. Its pretty good now, but I still might have my -smith see what he can do. By no means is it a match trigger, but it is still quite a bit lighter than the DA pull on a stock GP100. I think that they advertise a 7lb pull, its all of that.

Regardless, its a very well balanced gun in a sweet little package. Feeds everything, even empty brass. Easy to take down, easy to clean. easy to put back together.

My only gripe is that no one is making night sights for it yet. I bug Trijicon on a monthly basis, but no dice quite yet.

I Don't think you will be disappointed.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    It is law enforcement only. If you are LE, it is a great shop.
    Bah. I want in on these deals! Maybe I should sign up
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Might know what I'd go with. I'm sort of biased that way.

Yeah it looks like the GLock 26 for me!!!!! Now to pick put a comfotable holster for tuckable IWB.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Yeah it looks like the GLock 26 for me!!!!! Now to pick put a comfotable holster for tuckable IWB.
    Good choice on the G26. It's the safe pick IMO. You may still want to consider the G27 though for a little more firepower in the same physical size gun. You can still get an extra 9mm barrel to swap out and shoot cheaper 9mm ammo at the range if you want to.

For tuckable IWB holsters...

Checkout, if you can wait a little:
    -K&D Dakota Defender
    -Milt Sparks VMII

If you need a holster quickly (and/or while you wait):
    -MTAC
    -High Noon Split Decision

I have 3 out of 4 of the above (don't have a VMII) and like them all. The Dakota Defender is my favorite. There's a lot of other good choices out there also. Might as well make room for a bunch of holsters now. Holster buying is an addiction.

Good luck.

All of the given choices are small enough, reliable enough, and inexpensive enough to make reasonably good concealled carry pieces. They are all also fairly heavy. In 9mm, why not go with a KelTec PF-9. When I'm willing to carry a heavier gun, then I want a bigger caliber.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    All of the given choices are small enough, reliable enough, and inexpensive enough to make reasonably good concealled carry pieces. They are all also fairly heavy. In 9mm, why not go with a KelTec PF-9. When I'm willing to carry a heavier gun, then I want a bigger caliber.
    I have no problem with carrying 9mm. With right ammo, it will be an excellent defensive gun. That way I shoot with same gun in every way that I plan to protect with. As for the KelTec, I originally considered this gun but was told by quite a few to stay away from KelTec. Unfortunately for me that is all I have to go on. Thanks for the advice though, always willing to learn.

They're all excelent choices. Try to get a hand on all of the and make your decision based upon your own ergonomics and preference of operations.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

OK, I have been told I would be doing myself a disservice if I do not try the Taurus Millenium Pro. It meets most of my criteria, just have not heard a lot about it. If I like the feel and shoot, would it be a mistake to consider? I know the original Millenium series was a piece of junk, but it appears Taurus has turned it around.

Current production is at least 4rth gen (if not 5th).

I carried a 3rd gen., wore out the mag catch after 4500 rounds and it would no longer hold in mags after it was shot. Taurus would not send me a stinking mag catch by itself. They've upgraded to a DA/SA pistol from the DAO and straight 8 sights.

I'd really like to get one honestly.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Glock 26 or Sig 239, in that order.

The 9mm Glocks are about the most reliable autos on the market and the only ones that are in the same league are a lot more expensive (SIG, maybe H&K).

The 26 is easy to conceal, has a decent capacity, is accurate, and can use the mags for the larger models (19 and 17) if desired. There are also a huge number of holsters available.
    I'd actually recommend the 19 as it is not that much harder to conceal but is easier to shoot and holds a few more rounds.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links