Hi point - Page 2

Hi point

This is a discussion on Hi point within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a HI Point 45. It is finicky with HP ammo but eats up FMJ and Powerball. It goes bang everytime. It is ugly, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi point

I have a HI Point 45. It is finicky with HP ammo but eats up FMJ and Powerball. It goes bang everytime. It is ugly, bulky and cheap. Hi Point also gives great customer service.

Having said all that, I wouldn't use it for CCW but did use it for quite a while as a home defense weapon and would trust it to work. Is it as good as a Ruger, Glock, Sig, Browning, etc? Not even close. Those are much better guns. If you only have a couple hundred dollars to spend, however, it gives you great value.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye64910 View Post
    So IYO, they are too big to consider for a CCW?
    Only IMO though. I say carry what you want. I bought the Hi Point because I thought I might carry it. Then I realized I would be uncomfortable concealing it.

So I went with the same ammo in a smaller EDC.

I will add that for about $100 more you can get something smaller and something that folks will say is a good gun. I went with a KelTec P11. I shot the Hi Point at my CWP class though cause I havent bought a proper holster yet for the KelTec as you can gather from a few other threads here.

89 days and counting.

Senior Moderator
    Like Sixto, I also worked at a range and still work in a gun shop.

Yes, they are the #1 popular firearm to be purchased as a straw purchase and/or used in a crime. They are often referred to as throw-away guns.

And I've seen A LOT of Hi-Point come through the range and shops I've worked at. Yes, some of them went "bang" every time the trigger was pulled, but some of them did not. In fact, in my experience it was about 50/50 and even those that went "bang" some of them were the OPPOSITE of accurate.

The rate of error or failure is just too high for me. And it's not just because the gun is cheap and ugly. I feel the same way about Kimber. They are BEAUTIFUL guns, but I've seen and experienced too high a rate of failure.. I won't buy another one.

Sure I'm a gun snob, but for good reason. They may have a good warranty, but I'd rather have a gun when I needed it than get killed because the gun I needed was out for free repair. A good warranty doesn't do you squat if you aren't there to benefit from it.

Even some popular gun companies turn out a turkey every now and then,I own everything from Colt, Glock to S&W to RIA to keltec,I've picked up a coupla hi-points and fondled them.This is my take,I have another thread about looking to teach my daughter how to shoot and finding a gun she likes and can shoot well.I want her to be as safe as possible and have absolute trust in the gun she picks.I would never let her even consider a Hi-point.I would steer her towards a Glock,SA-XD,S&W M&P,sure they might cost 4 to 6 times as much as a Hi-point but her safety and my peace of mind is worth it.I just hope she don't see an EMP and say wow I really like this one,I believe at that point she will see me cry for the first time.I won't be crying cause she picked out her first gun,but because I know how much they cost.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I really appreciate all the replies and comments/opinions. I understand what's being relayed and that was what I was hoping for. By no means would I compromise (due to $$$) and make a Hi-Point my only firearm. But I'll more than likely add one or two to the collection just to take out and run some rounds through on a weekend afternoon. Again, thanks for your time and thoughts.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I had the 9mm for less than 2 weeks, sold it. Not because I did not like it, but I had a chance to turn a profit. Do keep in mind they tend to be ugly, heavy and cheap. The main thing that gives them the FTF is the magazine, NOT the weapon itself. I would buy another, right now I am saving pennies for something to carry once my permit arrives.

Administrator
    I am very much against the use of die cast pot metal firearms for serious self-defense purposes.
    Call me a gun snob if you want to but, it never makes me better when a gun manufacturer says:
    "We don't care how many times your firearm breaks - we have fantastic customer service and we'll keep right on fixing it for free."
    I wouldn't waste my money on one and I personally wouldn't carry one if it was given to me free.
    If you absolutely cannot afford anything better then buy one.
    Honestly though...your money will be much better spent if you buy a higher quality firearm in good used condition with a steel slide.
    That's my opinion.

IMO, if you're looking for an inexpensive...not "cheap"...new semi automatic, you should be looking at Bersa. I wouldn't mind a Hi-Point as a plinker but I wouldn't trust my life on it.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    never had one or shot one but I think I'd shy away from one, or I'd buy it and let it "prove" itself to me. Still, they can sell them cheap for a reason so I would be worried. Normally when I buy the bottom shelf on gear I end up regretting it and typically I go out and then buy what I should have in the first place. I'd recommend saving. It's not much fun and takes a while but it's worth it.

As for the recommendation for a Bersa, I too would HIGHLY recommend that because I have one with countless thousands of rounds through it and it's NEVER failed at all.

Still, I'd save for a good used gun or even for a new one.

B52
    Get a Bersa if funds are a problem. I agree with QKShooter, "I am very much against the use of die cast pot metal firearms ..." If you buy it you will regret it, trust me on this.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I had a Hi Point for a while,bought it on a whim just to see if they were any good.The 45 was huge and heavy as a boat anchor.I ended up trading it for
    Hungarian feg even to get rid of it .Felt like I got a decent little pistol out of the trade.Talking to the gun dealer he told me, he sold a bunch of them.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye64910 View Post
    I really appreciate all the replies and comments/opinions. I understand what's being relayed and that was what I was hoping for. By no means would I compromise (due to $$$) and make a Hi-Point my only firearm. But I'll more than likely add one or two to the collection just to take out and run some rounds through on a weekend afternoon. Again, thanks for your time and thoughts.
    If this is the case, I'm wondering why you are compelled to buy one in the first place. If you have a hundred dollars burning a hole in your pocket, buy some ammo or mags for one of your other guns.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Absolutely - go with a Bersa rather than a Hi-Point.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I don't have any experience with their pistols, but I just picked up a carbine this past weekend and shot it yesterday for the first time. It's a hoot! I only shot 100 rounds, but they all went without a hitch. An accurate & fun 9mm carbine for under $200 sounds like a deal to me!
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I am very much against the use of die cast pot metal firearms for serious self-defense purposes.
    Call me a gun snob if you want to but, it never makes me better when a gun manufacturer says:
    "We don't care how many times your firearm breaks - we have fantastic customer service and we'll keep right on fixing it for free."
    I wouldn't waste my money on one and I personally wouldn't carry one if it was given to me free.
    If you absolutely cannot afford anything better then buy one.
    Honestly though...your money will be much better spent if you buy a higher quality firearm in good used condition with a steel slide.
    That's my opinion.
    Fully concur.
    Buying a Hi Point is an example of being "Penny wise, and pound foolish."
    They are much too bulky, and to fix one that failed in an emergency situation will be small comfort after you are shot.

Best,
    Jerry

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links