Hi point

This is a discussion on Hi point within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have first hand knowledge of these inexpensive, American made weapons? I've researched their website and see that they offer 100% lifetime of weapon ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi point

Hi point

Does anyone have first hand knowledge of these inexpensive, American made weapons? I've researched their website and see that they offer 100% lifetime of weapon guarantee. They aren't "pretty", but for the money ($160 will get you into a 40 S&W or a 45).

2. Remove Ads

Gun snobs hate em. I have 2 C9's and they work great. Takes a few hundred to break em in but they work just fine. Folks say they are ugly and I agree when it comes to the larger calibers but I think the 9/380 look nice with some good grips on em.

FWIW, I wont carry mine around as they are too big IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    Gun snobs hate em. I have 2 C9's and they work great. Takes a few hundred to break em in but they work just fine. Folks say they are ugly and I agree when it comes to the larger calibers but I think the 9/380 look nice with some good grips on em.

FWIW, I wont carry mine around as they are too big IMO.
    So IYO, they are too big to consider for a CCW?

I carry the JCP .40 S&W currently. It is a bear to carry sometimes, but I make do with it until I can afford an upgrade. You'll encounter alot of opinions about the Hi-Points, and sure, they are "rough" compared to many other makes, but my JCP goes bang every time I pull the trigger. Does it very accurately, too.
    Hi-Point's warranty and service rock.
    I carry IWB with an Uncle Mike's Sidekick.
    Hope this info helps a bit.

Thanks RemMod and AllAmerican....does help me out. Looking to spend money wisely, and as long as these go "bang" each time the trigger is pulled, and they are fairly accurate, I don't see how a fella could go wrong for the money.

Thanks again!!

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye64910 View Post
    Does anyone have first hand knowledge of these inexpensive, American made weapons? I've researched their website and see that they offer 100% lifetime of weapon guarantee. They aren't "pretty", but for the money ($160 will get you into a 40 S&W or a 45).

I know everybodies money is tight with the economy and holidays but CCW is not a place to be cheap. Your life and your families life depend on your CCW handgun. Buy something you can count on. Buy a used Ruger or S&W revolver, or Bersa semi if money is tight. Hi Points are not a good CCW pick. They are too big and blocky and you get what you pay for. They are cheap for a reason. I actually own and enjoy a HP 995 carbine but I would not consider their handguns, because their are many other better options for around the same money if you buy a good used handgun.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Never owned one. I 've shot a couple, though, and my experience is consistent with most of what you'll hear.

They may be ugly (beauty is in the eye of the beholder, though). They may be heavy, ungainly, awkward, bulky, whatever.

But from what I've seen and heard, they go "bang" every time their triggers are pulled.

Yup, gun snobs don't like'em, 'cause "...for only (insert amount) more, you can get a (insert make and model), that (doesn't exhibit real/perceived enumerated Hi Point flaw) ".

But they apparently work, and have a following.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Administrator
    Well, its like this... they are junk. And Yes, I freely admit that I'm a gun snob, but for good reason. I've been around the industry my entire life, and I've seen a lot as a manager of one of the largest/busiest ranges in the country, and I've seen a lot of Hi Points.
    In the gun world, you do get what you pay for, and I equate those who think the Hi Points are OK to the 16 year old kid who thinks his 1992 Dodge Shadow is the baddest car on the block simply because that all he knows.
    Good or bad as that may be, its my take on things.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks Pirate and Randy. The Hi Point, if I buy one, won't be my CCW. Just adding to the collection.....Xmas is soon upon us!!

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Well agreeing with Sixto, i would also imput that most respectable gun ranges do not sell them because the firearm has an extremly high homicide rate because it is a very popular gangsta gun. I believe that i was told by my shop that it was either 4 or 5 out of every 10 sold were involved in some sort if illegal activity.
    A friend of mine has the 9mm and always said about how great it was and downed my Glock saying it was overpriced and worthless. After he took it to the range he went out and purchased one. FWIW

Sixto what range do you work at? I could understand if you dont want to disclose that info so i wanted to say that if you work that the one that i think you do, i wanted to give my appologies if i offended you by making previous comments reguarding the range.
    Last edited by JD; December 1st, 2008 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Merged posts
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrashok Glock View Post
    Sixto what range do you work at? I could understand if you dont want to disclose that info so i wanted to say that if you work that the one that i think you do, i wanted to give my appologies if i offended you by making previous comments reguarding the range.
    No offense taken, I agree with your statement. The range I worked at wouldnt sell them, and I havent been their in a number of years. I only work on police ranges now, I'm to salty for the public ranges.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ahh. I was thinking that you might work at Target World seeing as you said a large range. You are better off working at a police range because i know people who have been at the range when people shoot themselves. Ugh not a pretty site. Actually when we go one of us keeps loaded incase someone gets stupid. It just scares me that anyone can go in and pay 5 bucks and rent a gun. I mean a felon can go in rent a gun and run off I know that have "security" but they are civilians with guns and most dont know what they are doing

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Administrator
    I know TW very well, but I havent been there since the remodel. I wont shop or shoot there any more..
    "Just blame Sixto"

See with every post i like you more and more lol. Finally another person with a voice or reason. Kudos Sixto, Kudos!

COPS Protective Services

cj
    On the original post...what I've seen as the most 'acceptable' Hi-Point in general has been their carbines. I've seen very few complaints about them (besides one employee in a pawn shop who equated them to a hand grenade with an unknown time delay...and who had never actually used one).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links