Quick .38 Question

This is a discussion on Quick .38 Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; welcome aboard dahn 16 from s.e. michigan....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quick .38 Question

welcome aboard

welcome aboard dahn 16 from s.e. michigan.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

2. Remove Ads

I have the S&W 637 (with hammer). Don't be so quick to think that it's any more difficult to draw because of the hammer. A little muscle memory when drawing...just keep your thumb on the hammer...no problem.

Stay armed...practice...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's just the one time you don't remember to, and or, you are fighting for your life and the hammer gets snagged on your trousers? No thanks. I don't like the thought of carrying a revolver with a fully exposed hammer for self defense. I either go with a totally enclosed, or mini bobbed hammer.

Ron
    S&W 642 with enclosed hammer is IMO the perfect carry gun. Carries effortlessly in a good pocket holster. The trigger pull is heavy so no way is it going to go off without a very deliberate pull on the trigger.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    S&W 642 with enclosed hammer is IMO the perfect carry gun. Carries effortlessly in a good pocket holster. The trigger pull is heavy so no way is it going to go off without a very deliberate pull on the trigger.
    This is what I own and plan on using as a BUG when I become a commissioned peace office (In February ) Another advantage to the internal hammer is that in the rare, rare instance you maaaay feel the need to fire without drawing the gun (maybe from the belly pocket of a hoodie) You can be confident in getting off all your shots where an exposed hammer may catch fabric when it's being fired. A very unlikely to be necessary advantage of the enclosed hammer. But if the need does arise it could be a life changer.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrashok Glock View Post
    Very heavy trigger. It would be very difficult to fire the gun in the pocket without squeesing the trigger
    Also a holster that covers the trigger guard is helpful in preventing a AD as well as keeping the gun oriented upright for a smooth presentation.
    Finally a holster will help breakup the outline of the gun , keep pocket lint out as well as other debris.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I carry a Smith and Wesson 340 model with no visible hammer. I can, and often do, pull through the very heavy double action stage of the trigger pull and pause at the single action break over point.

I can target shoot this way for accuracy or pull straight through for the more typical combat type shooting.

I have no really solid idea of how heavy the first stage of the trigger is. But I don't believe that any of my grandchildren could pull the trigger even if I were foolish enough to let them try. Perhaps it's around 17 or 18 pounds or so.

I do know that the final portion is around five and a half pounds. I could have it lightened and still be very safe because of the heavy double action portion. But I like it about where it is because I'm not as likely to squeeze through that stage when I really meant to stop there first for a more accurate shot.

I've clicked it and shot it thousands of times and had a very light slicking of the trigger done by a gunsmith when he had it open for a thousand round check up, early on. It's heavy but smooth - as it should be.

I find no need for a thumbable hammer on a carry snubbie. But then, that's just my personal preference. Some find them useful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links