Defensive Carry banner

Quick .38 Question

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Marvin Knox 
#1 ·
Hey all. I am looking to get a .38 snub as a ccw but I am torn as to what to get: exposed or enclosed hammer. I understand the hammerless won't snag, doesnt collect lint, etc. With an exposed hammer, your holster strap can (to a degree) keep the weapon from an accidental discharge. What keeps the hammerless from shooting you in the foot?

#4 ·
A trigger job would be fine to smooth things out. As long as you don't drop the weight down too far. And if so, then just use a case and cover the trigger and guard. I think they are somewhere around 16lbs of pull. I can actually pull my gun out of the pocket with the trigger and it doesn't move at all.

#13 ·
I can actually pull my gun out of the pocket with the trigger and it doesn't move at all.
I'm not as worried about pulling the gun out, as I am putting the gun into the holster or pocket. The only accidental shootings (with revolvers)that I have seen involved holstering the weapon. It always sounded like they caught something on the trigger. They insisted that they didn't have their finger on the trigger......

Do be careful, do be deliberate................fwiw mike

#9 ·
Off the top of my head, except for a couple of derringer pocket holsters designed so that you can pull the gun out in the holster and shoot it, I don't know of any quality holsters made these days that leave the trigger exposed enough to pull it.

#6 ·
My BUG is a j-frame with an exposed hammer and an action job. The DA pull is around 9lbs, slightly heavier than my DAO Beretta Cougar. The only way either of them is going off is if I pull the trigger. The factory pull on a new S&W DAO snubby is around 12lbs, it's not going to fire unless you want it to.
Besides, you're going to carry it in an appropriate belt or pocket holster, right? That'll cover the trigger guard and keep stuff out of there.

#7 ·
With an exposed hammer, your holster strap can (to a degree) keep the weapon from an accidental discharge. What keeps the hammerless from shooting you in the foot?
An exposed hammer design that is strapped in can easily hang up on the strap and/or clothing when you draw.
That isn't a personal defense weapon. It's a 5-second "freebie" that the BG gets in order to kill you with no immediate consequences.

And what keeps the hammerless from shooting you in the foot is the same thing that keeps the hammer design from shooting you in the foot: not pulling the trigger until you're ready to fire.

#8 ·
Yes. I have a J frame in .38. Sometimes I use a simple uncle mikes pocket holster. If my pockets are too small, I use a crossbreed supertuck or a galco outside waist band (OWB). All three of these cover the trigger guard.

#11 ·
An exposed hammer design that is, first, strapped in, and second, can (virtually will) hang up on clothing when you draw isn't a personal defense weapon. It's a 5-second "freebie" that the BG gets in order to kill you with no immediate consequences.
My hammer is bobbed but still has a bit of a spur. I just place my thumb against the back of it when I draw and it can't hang up on anything.

#14 ·
I have both exposed hammer and hammerless models of the small Smith & Wesson revolver. I've found that I prefer the models with hammers for the option of precision single action fire. The hammer spur is no problem as the thumb easily covers it upon drawing from pocket or waistband.

#17 ·
I have the S&W 637 (with hammer). Don't be so quick to think that it's any more difficult to draw because of the hammer. A little muscle memory when drawing...just keep your thumb on the hammer...no problem.

Stay armed...practice...stay safe!

#18 ·
It's just the one time you don't remember to, and or, you are fighting for your life and the hammer gets snagged on your trousers? No thanks. I don't like the thought of carrying a revolver with a fully exposed hammer for self defense. I either go with a totally enclosed, or mini bobbed hammer.

#19 ·
S&W 642 with enclosed hammer is IMO the perfect carry gun. Carries effortlessly in a good pocket holster. The trigger pull is heavy so no way is it going to go off without a very deliberate pull on the trigger.

#20 ·
This is what I own and plan on using as a BUG when I become a commissioned peace office (In February :king:) Another advantage to the internal hammer is that in the rare, rare instance you maaaay feel the need to fire without drawing the gun (maybe from the belly pocket of a hoodie) You can be confident in getting off all your shots where an exposed hammer may catch fabric when it's being fired. A very unlikely to be necessary advantage of the enclosed hammer. But if the need does arise it could be a life changer.

#22 ·
I carry a Smith and Wesson 340 model with no visible hammer. I can, and often do, pull through the very heavy double action stage of the trigger pull and pause at the single action break over point.

I can target shoot this way for accuracy or pull straight through for the more typical combat type shooting.

I have no really solid idea of how heavy the first stage of the trigger is. But I don't believe that any of my grandchildren could pull the trigger even if I were foolish enough to let them try. Perhaps it's around 17 or 18 pounds or so.

I do know that the final portion is around five and a half pounds. I could have it lightened and still be very safe because of the heavy double action portion. But I like it about where it is because I'm not as likely to squeeze through that stage when I really meant to stop there first for a more accurate shot.

I've clicked it and shot it thousands of times and had a very light slicking of the trigger done by a gunsmith when he had it open for a thousand round check up, early on. It's heavy but smooth - as it should be.

I find no need for a thumbable hammer on a carry snubbie. But then, that's just my personal preference. Some find them useful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.