1911 sub compact

This is a discussion on 1911 sub compact within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; 1911 sub compact, anybody have one? How acurate is it? What make and model? I am thinking of getting one. I have been looking at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 sub compact

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar

1911 sub compact

1911 sub compact, anybody have one? How acurate is it? What make and model?

I am thinking of getting one. I have been looking at Springfield and Rock island.

Thanks in advance
    Rocky

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45acp and its scary accurate.

>>---->
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

In my limited experience, Kimbers are the only ones that are worth anything. The rest are, IMHO, generally questionable, especially useless are the ones from Para-Ordinance.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AVIVIII View Post
    In my limited experience, Kimbers are the only ones that are worth anything. The rest are, IMHO, generally questionable, especially useless are the ones from Para-Ordinance.

Yeah, the Colts are junk (not). Same with Springfield (not). No one can do it right besides Kimber (not).

Sorry, but when you start with "In my limited experience" and then go on to condemn all other brands of a particular style of firearm as not being "worth anything", you are impuning yourself as a source.

In general, the smaller 1911's can be problematic and/or finicky. JMB didn't design them this way, and the geometry can cause headaches. That said, I know of dozens that have worked flawlessly since new (multiple brands, including all listed above and more).

Personal experience, I've got a lightweight Springfield Loaded Micro Compact. Nice little gun. It was one that during break in became problematic. Eventually, it took a trip back to the Armory (on their dime, lifetime warranty covers shipping too!). When it came back, it ran great. Continues to do so also.

It shoots well (had them bring POI up to match POA while I had it there), with recoil not being so bad. Muzzle flip is substantial but quite manageable with quick follow up shots doable if you're not picky about where in center mass you hit.

My #1 preference still is for the full sized 1911, and I find they conceal nearly as well (with IWB, biggest difference is the grip). But I'm glad I've got the little sucker as an option, and it does get carried and shot.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I guess my Springfield EMP qualifies as a mini-1911. It is beautiful to look at, and since I got the sight adjusted, shoots more accurately than any other handgun I own. Highly recommended, if you can find one.

I know it's not as nice as the more expensive brands but I sure do like my RIA Compact Tactical. 600 rds incl. jhps with no problems after initial tweaking of extractor. As accurate as my Commander for me. $460.

Quote Originally Posted by AVIVIII View Post
    Well, thats a pretty big statement to make, especially saying something like that after your stated "limited experience". I have a Colt defender. Goes bang every single time I pull the trigger. More accurate than I am. I have heard of Kimber horror stories. Saying that only one make of a gun is worth anything is a bit far-fetched to say the least. I know of people on this very forum, who would not buy another Kimber due to a past bad experience. I also know of quite a few people on this forum who have absolute faith and trust in their Para-1911s. Just curious, but have you personally owned every single other make of small 1911 out there? I would think to make a statement like that you would have to own one of everything.

Anyway, I carry a Colt Defender. Extremely lightweight, totally reliable, goes bang every time. The gun is more accurate than I am with it. I am very happy with my defender. I was looking at buying a Rock Island at a gun show. I saw it early in the show, made my rounds, then went back to the table and it was already gone. For the cost, the Rock Island guns are supposedly worth every penny.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Kimber Ultra Raptor, 3", 45..great gun, light, accurate. Like most 1911's, break it in.
    Springfield EMP, 9mm, great gun, no hiccups at all, and either would fit your bill you seek.
    Do what the manufacturer states on break in, lube and such, and you will be fine.
    I have a 1911 for all occasions, from most manufacturers out there, tried them all. Opinions vary, so..do your homework.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

I have approximately 350 rounds through a Colt New Agent without a single problem. Winchester White Box and Remington Golden Saber Ammo. At first, being unfamiliar with using a gutter sight system, I was shooting low. After getting used to it, very accurate. I have now added the Crimson Trace Laser Grip, and sighted it in so the bullet will hit the red dot at 30 feet.

I carry a RIA compact every day,It eats everything from cast lead reloads to Federal HST 230+P,I have shot at least 3000 rounds thru it and It is accurate,I also have a SA1911-A1 SS 5" and have owned a colt combat commander series 70,I liked them all
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Springfield Micro Compact - no hiccups at all, shoots very nicely and accurately too!

RIA compact

I am getting ready to start carring my little jewel after I get the new holster for it.

It shoots everything I try to feed it.

steve

My Kimber Ultra CDP II is my EDC. It's a trusted friend that shoots better than I do....
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ok, I forgot about the Colt. Haven't shot a small one, so no comment. Obviously not junk.

Of all the others, yes I have shot them and yes I have had them mal- when they weren't supposed to. For the record, "Limited experience" still involves at least somewhere between 500 and 1000 rounds through each of them, some, more. Some I got to 500 and gave up on them.

My statement, while strong was based on the fact that after ~2500 rounds each, my Kimber Ultra(3") and my father's Kimber Pro(4"), have not had a malfunction that wasn't my fault or induced by me.

The Para- Still sucks. Real bad.

I'm glad that some of you have had great luck with others, I unfortunately haven't had such luck. The biggest anomaly in in the tests was that all the guns were new or very close to it, except the Springfield EMP. I still had feed failures after doing a spring kit on it though.

And who said theres no real emotion on the internet? I can almost feel the hate and anger burning through those posts!

Lead Moderator
    All the brands mentioned of 3" 1911's have had some documented problems with individual guns. I think realistically you need to figure you may get a gun with an issue(s).
    Personally I found a 4" 1911 rides more comfortably IWB.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links