S&W 638 new grips

S&W 638 new grips

This is a discussion on S&W 638 new grips within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I purchased a S&W 638 about 4 weeks ago and finely took it out to shoot this last weekend. I know that the airweights are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 638 new grips

S&W 638 new grips

I purchased a S&W 638 about 4 weeks ago and finely took it out to shoot this last weekend. I know that the airweights are some what of a handful to shoot witch I knew but never shot one for myself. I have been around many people shooting them. Definitely the grips have to go. I would like to know if any of you have the Hogue Bantam grips on the J frame and what do you think of them.
    Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery, But today is a gift, That's why they call it the present

JD
    Administrator
    The Bantams aren't that much better, if I am not mistaken, they still leave the back strap uncovered, and don't offer any more mass than the standard grips.

I tried some larger Hogues, they tamed the recoil on my 360PD Ok, but were a little large:

Original Uncle Mikes (about the same size as the Hogue Bantam IIRC)

The larger Hogue grip:

* Note, gun is empty, hammer was back only to show more detail regarding bobbed hammer.

I recently changed to a set of Pachmayr grips which offer more mass and cover the back strap of the gun while being slightly smaller than the Hogue Monogrip pictured above, I will take another pic of the 360 with the Pach's tonight. I have not yet gotten to shoot the gun with the new grips, so I can't advise on their ability to enhance comfort and control of the gun.

JD
    Administrator
    Here's the same 360 with Pachmayr grips.

I put the LG 405's on mine first. Too small of grip BIG recoil. Then I put the Crimson Trace LG 305's on- perfection! Made it a shootable gun.

My 4 J Frames all have Pachmayr Compacs.
    After trying Bantams, Uncle Mike's Boot Grips,
    Spegels and Safariland/Rogers,
    I came back to the Pachmayr Compacs.
    No fabric grab, covered back strap and the
    pinky groove lines them up the same way every time.
    The ones without the logo are slimmer
    than the ones with the logo.

I have the LG405s on my Bodyguard and they make a world of difference.
    http://www.myspace.com/sgeringer
    SIG SP2009<>XD45 4"<>S&W 638-3<>GLOCK20<>Mossberg Mav88

My 642 sports the rubber Bantams. I like them better than the Uncle Mikes boot grips. The Bantams feel tackier to me , which I like. Neither grip makes the 642 a target gun, but that's not its purpose.

get a grip

I recently purchased a 638-3 and thought the grip sucked but after about six hundred rounds I have a huge calluse on my thumb, and now it fits just right.

The only thing you should be going too is crimson trace. It has the cushioned grip. 405's.http://www.crimsontrace.com/images/products/lg405.jpg Check out the proarms podcast.http://proarms.podbean.com/

I like my Altamonts on my 638, never could stand rubber grips personally.

I know lousy pic but I ain't no photographer!

If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

+1 more for the CT 405 grips. The pocket on the back does help absorb recoil and the laser can help accuracy.

BJC
    I put a Hogue monogrip on my wife's 637. She likes it a lot better for range use. Even with the monogrip, after about 25 rounds my wife's hand has had enough.

I've used the Bantams, the Uncle Mike's, Pachymars, factory service with T-grips, and Hogues on my 642. I figured out I need both the length of Hogues and the covered back strap of the UM's. I found out from a guy on the S&W forum that Taurus grips will fit the gun, and they have additional length and covered back strap, so I ordered some. They are perfect for me. Not really as much length as the Hogues, but enough without interfering with pocket carry. Cushion on back to lengthen trigger reach and stop the sting and less tacky than other rubber grips. I still wouldn't want to go out and put a couple of boxes through it at one sitting. If I want to just shoot it for fun, I put on the big, round, rubber Pachymars, big and soft.
    The downside was quite a wait from Taurus. I did have to argue with Taurus about whether or not they'd fit, and take the grip pin out of the 642. Cost about $15, best money I've ever spent on a J-frame!
    What Would Gumby Do?

Quote Originally Posted by snaredog View Post
    I purchased a S&W 638 about 4 weeks ago and finely took it out to shoot this last weekend. I know that the airweights are some what of a handful to shoot witch I knew but never shot one for myself. I have been around many people shooting them. Definitely the grips have to go. I would like to know if any of you have the Hogue Bantam grips on the J frame and what do you think of them.
    What kind of grip are you using to shoot the j-frame?? Thumbs foward?? I found that if I take the thumb of my left hand and cross it over the top of the right hand that it helps tame the j-frame some.
    Current collection: Too many according to the wife...

I have a 637 and went the route of trying several different grips. I have to agree with ccmama, the Criminson Trace LG305 were the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links