Kel Tec P11 - thoughts?

This is a discussion on Kel Tec P11 - thoughts? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry for creating another thread for this, but I wanted to get some thoughts (either experiental or not) on a Kel Tec p11. The instructor ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kel Tec P11 - thoughts?

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

Kel Tec P11 - thoughts?

Sorry for creating another thread for this, but I wanted to get some thoughts (either experiental or not) on a Kel Tec p11. The instructor I had for my CCW course swore by the p11 for a good pocket pistol. I already have a full frame MP9 by S&W that I plan to carry, but I think I may have several times in which I will turn to a smaller pistol. The heat in AZ may be a little prohibitive to carry the MP in the summer (for comfort and printing issues).

At any rate, do any of you own it? I've read reviews on the p11 expressing both good and bad features of it. I like the price tag for it, but am slightly worried that buying a cheaper gun may be a bad decision for a carry weapon. Help?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

2. Remove Ads

If you want a Kel- Tec pocket pistol I would go with the pf9. It's smaller and will conceal better.

Quote Originally Posted by angelo25 View Post
    If you want a Kel- Tec pocket pistol I would go with the pf9.
    I agree.

Even though I think the PF9 is pushing it, it's definitely more of a pocket pistol than the P11, IMO.

-Jeff-

Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    I agree.

Even though I think the PF9 is pushing it, it's definitely more of a pocket pistol than the P11, IMO.

-Jeff-
    what would be a better pocket pistol but still comparable in price?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Quote Originally Posted by pcon View Post
    what would be a better pocket pistol but still comparable in price?
    I think the ultimate pocket pistol is the P3AT or LCP. My next firearm purchase is going to be a P3AT.

-Jeff-

I think the ultimate pocket pistol is the P3AT or LCP. My next firearm purchase is going to be a P3AT.

-Jeff-
    i've heard bad things about .380 ammo not being "enough". Is this just snobby 9mm talk?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

i've heard bad things about .380 ammo not being "enough". Is this just snobby 9mm talk?
    The .380 is borderline by many standards, but my view of a pocket pistol is somethin that is very easily concealed. The P3AT and LCP fit this bill. I will use the P3AT as a BUG or when I simply cannot carry anything larger. At that point, I would feel fine with a .380. If I can't conceal my G36 or XD9SC, then a PF9 wouldn't be all that much easier in my opinion. At least this is my outlook on what a pocket pistol should be, YMMV.

-Jeff-

The .380 is borderline by many standards, but my view of a pocket pistol is somethin that is very easily concealed. The P3AT and LCP fit this bill. I will use the P3AT as a BUG or when I simply cannot carry anything larger. At that point, I would feel fine with a .380. If I can't conceal my G36 or XD9SC, then a PF9 wouldn't be all that much easier in my opinion. At least this is my outlook on what a pocket pistol should be, YMMV.

-Jeff-
    Gotcha. You sound like you've done far more research than I have at this point. Do you consider the Ruger to be superior or inferior to a Kel Tec? Or are they about the same?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Gotcha. You sound like you've done far more research than I have at this point. Do you consider the Ruger to be superior or inferior to a Kel Tec? Or are they about the same?
    My Kel-tec P3AT has never had a recall where as my one month old LCP has one recall that I just received the shipping items for.

I have all 4 Kel-tecs and the LCP. All have been reliable. The P11 takes S&W 69xx or 59xx mags also so you can get 15 rounders for the gun. I like and carried the gun for 2+ years and never felt under powered. Mine does not like 147 grain ammo but loves 115 or 124 grain ammo. The trigger is long but consistent and breaks clean.

Hope this helps.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I had three KT's...a .32, the P-3AT, and the P-11. A KelTec is a KelTec and certain things are a constant. They always go bang, and they're not a fun gun at the range.
    I traded off the P-11 towards my Glock-26. The P-11 had an awful trigger...OMO...a very long pull.
    I still have the .32 and the .380, but I'm much happier with the Glock-26 rather than the P-11.
    If I were to do it all over, I buy the G-26 instead of the P-11. For a small pocket gun, I'd take the P-3AT over the P-11 also.

Stay armed...enjoy shopping...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My wife had the P11 a couple of years ago. She hated the gun and we traded it off for a Taurus 38. The P11 was no joy to shoot. As stated, it had a very long and heavy trigger pull. I guess that was kind of a built in safety, but we did not like it at all. It is also a pretty heavy little gun to carry in your pocket. I have the P3AT and I like it a lot. It is carried often.
    The P3AT id have some teething problems, but I think that most all of the kinks have been ironed out. Mine has been 100% reliable. It likes Speer GD and Corbon DPX !!

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Quote Originally Posted by ront View Post
    My wife had the P11 a couple of years ago. She hated the gun and we traded it off for a Taurus 38. The P11 was no joy to shoot. As stated, it had a very long and heavy trigger pull. I guess that was kind of a built in safety, but we did not like it at all. It is also a pretty heavy little gun to carry in your pocket. I have the P3AT and I like it a lot. It is carried often.
    The P3AT id have some teething problems, but I think that most all of the kinks have been ironed out. Mine has been 100% reliable. It likes Speer GD and Corbon DPX !!

Ron

the trigger pull is something I've heard a lot of concerns over. I had a little taurus 38spcl revolver for a couple weeks before I got rid of it. I kind of wish I didn't now!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I will be getting the P3AT. I have no desire to pay more money for the same gun, or a gun that might shoot me if I drop it. J/K! Nobody attack me please. The problems with the KelTecs were with the earlier models, and I've heard they have great customer service. My purchase will be for the KelTec.

-Jeff-

Love both my Kel-Tecs. P3AT and P-11. Both have been dependable.

Feel that the P3AT is by far the better pocket gun.

IMO, when TSHTF you will not notice the long trigger pull.
    I'm clinging to my guns and religion.

Distinguished Member
    I own and carry the P-3at, Ruger LCP, and Kel-Tec PF-9. The PF-9 is in a different category than the P-3at and LCP. A PF-9 does not disappear in your front pocket like the other 2. To me the PF-9 is a light-weight full size carry piece, something I would strap on if I was going into an environment that dictated more fire-power than a pocket pistol.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links