Glock Mag Springs...

Glock Mag Springs...

This is a discussion on Glock Mag Springs... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How often should they be changed? I've been noticing it's getting very easy to load the mags, indicating weaker springs. The old springs barely stuck ...

Glock Mag Springs...

How often should they be changed? I've been noticing it's getting very easy to load the mags, indicating weaker springs. The old springs barely stuck up above the mag body when I disassembled them. I ordered a bunch of Wolff +10% springs, man what at difference. Same number of coils, but almost two inches longer and what appears to be a stronger steel. Took them to the range today and every one ran perfectly. The gun is less than two years old. Do the factory mag springs wear out that fast?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    I never heard of any wearing out that quickly. I have some 4-year old mags for G21 and have had no problems yet. Cycling them is what wears them out, can you estimate how many times you loaded and unloaded them?

Sponsor
    AZ,

I'm still using the non drop free mags I've had since 1988 with the first gen training glock [ the same one I used in the class ] and have not changed them out yet.

The springs will get changed out on those original mags when they stop being 100% reliable but that hasn't happened yet.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Mine still shot just fine, but I could really notice how weak they were becoming when loading them. I shoot a lot, but have twelve magazines I rotate through. Every one was the same way. Glad I did, they were only just over $4 each when purchasing 10 or more from Wolff. I'd hate to be surprised with a malfunction when I needed the gun the most.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Mine still shot just fine, but I could really notice how weak they were becoming when loading them. I shoot a lot, but have twelve magazines I rotate through. Every one was the same way. Glad I did, they were only just over $4 each when purchasing 10 or more from Wolff. I'd hate to be surprised with a malfunction when I needed the gun the most.
    Okay this begs the question!Why are you rotating them? Mags springs do not wear out if they are fully loaded. They get weaker when you constantly use them i.e. shoot them. Its similar to your car. Your springs on your car don't wear when its sitting in the parking lot. Its driving it which changes the tension that causes the wear. I have Glock mags that I keep loaded 100% of the time, shoot them about 1 time every 6 months to rotate carry ammo. Beside that I don't unload them.

Springs are either designed to be compressed or not compressed wear comes from changing the compression.

For example Small Arms review did an article a few years ago about a 1911 that was found fully loaded since 1945. They wanted to settle the spring argument once and for all. And this test Which could no way be duplicated until they find another gun with 3 fully loaded mags was going be conducted. The gun functioned flawlessly.

Your solution. Buy 12 more new mags. Put 9 in storage and use three as constantly loaded magazines. This solves a couple of issues: first issue you have more mags, second issue you have more mags; third you have more mags; and finally you can use your older 12 mags as your IDPA or practice magazines. If one starts to wear down buy a replacement spring.

I fully believe that magazine spring theory is told to get people to buy more magazines springs.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    AZ,

I'm still using the non drop free mags I've had since 1988 with the first gen training glock [ the same one I used in the class ] and have not changed them out yet.

The springs will get changed out on those original mags when they stop being 100% reliable but that hasn't happened yet.

Brownie
    Mine is a similar train of thought. Have some that are ten+ years old, never any issues. I've bought some used, good as new appearance-wise that needed changing right away at the range. If there's a weak part in the Glockstronomy, it would be the mag spring. Surely this was a contract part with certain criteria, but many variables. You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em. Do i think any Glock owner should have magazine rebuild kits on hand? Definitely...springs and followers. Small insurance.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Mine is a similar train of thought. Have some that are ten+ years old, never any issues. I've bought some used, good as new appearance-wise that needed changing right away at the range. If there's a weak part in the Glockstronomy, it would be the mag spring. Surely this was a contract part with certain criteria, but many variables. You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em. Do i think any Glock owner should have magazine rebuild kits on hand? Definitely...springs and followers. Small insurance.
    Yeah but with CDNN still popping up with 11-12 dollar G19 sales every so often I'll just by another mag
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Yeah but with CDNN still popping up with 11-12 dollar G19 sales every so often I'll just by another mag
    Well, that is the best way to go actually. When you have 20-30 of them, it's no consequence to toss a couple of followers here or there, or use the springs for the screen door. A rebuild kit will still run you around $10. Save the bodies if you do a lot of competition or for the ban. A magazine body is as good as a lower receiver in the case of a ban.

I have some old G19 mags that were shot quite often and are still working flawlessly. I believe that they are 12 years old. They are always loaded.

I also have some G23 mags(#5 and 6 followers) that I use for my G27. I was having feeding issues in my 27 only. They worked with no problems in my 23. I put some Wolf springs in them and it corrected the issue in one of them. I still had some feeding issues, but not as many.

Now I have new 23 mags that have the #8 follower and they work flawlessly in my 27.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    AZ,

Brownie
    The older Glock mag springs did have a tendency to "lose oomph!" 3-gun folks noticed this. It is inconsistent, though.

Links