This is a discussion on 1911 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well last year, about this time I decided to get a a 1911. I have this friend (local in Fairfax) who has built a number ...

Thread: 1911

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

Well last year, about this time I decided to get a a 1911. I have this friend (local in Fairfax) who has built a number of 1911's and he has put them up in function and in accuracy against some of the top of the line names in the industry including Les Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk etc.... He is thinking about starting his own 1911 business. However, after seeing his work and how long it takes him he may not be able to keep up with demand and charge enough for his guns. But I said What the HEY! I'll ask him if he will build me one. Everything he does is with files, and stones/ he does not use a single machine. He sat down with me and I picked every part of the gun out my self. Pretty much everything was hand fitted and filed to the Caspian Frame and slide. He has been building guns for almost 30 years now therefore I knew this wasn't his first Rodeo. Well last year he started on mine and tonight I held the finished product.

WELL HERE SHE IS:

“Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

2. Remove Ads

Nice gun!

Congrats!

youve gotcha a good friend there. good lookin piece, hows she shoot?
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler11B View Post
    youve gotcha a good friend there. good lookin piece, hows she shoot?
    Sorry I guess I made it seem like I have it. It came back from the finisher within the last couple of days. I went to go visit it tonight and see it. Since, everything is hand fitted and a new finish was put on it. Technically the gun is not done yet. I got to hold it tonight, not take it home yet. I guess that's one of the things you get working with a custom gun maker, but I have no worries. I should have it by the end of next week. The maker is going to do about a 2-300 round function and accuracy test. To make sure its up to his standard. All I can see is that its really good looking ( PS I DON"T LIKE 1911's) except this one. And hes testing groups size at 50 yards the barrel is a NM Kart.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

You know why you like THIS one? Because it's YOURS!
    Nice weapon...I hope the long wait is worth it.

You do realize that it's against the law in most states...to have only one 1911?

Stay armed...always follow the law ...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Congrats, it looks like a very nice piece!

-Jeff-

Administrator

Thumbs up

Your handgun started out with good bones. A Caspian frame and slide and the "top of the line" aftermarket 1911 parts that are available these days are of incredibly high quality.
    So yes, it certainly is possible to build a superlative quality 1911 exactly as you have had yours built.

My only suggestion...tell him to scrap the doggone useless FLGR.
    Why do you actually want a guide rod?

AEA
    I take the FLGR out of all my 1911's including my Wilson and Ed Brown!

JD
    Administrator
    Super nice! If you find that you still don't like 1911s after shooting that one, gimme a call.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Looks like you're gonna have a keeper! I suspect your thoughts on your friends ability to sustain a business are correct.... the time/$ thing needs to be doable to make it work.

OTOH, if he simply wants to build these in his spare time as a labor of love, what the hey. Looks like the man's got skills!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I know of one local, fairly big-name gunsmith who charges oodles for his custom 1911's, and I think he can take up to a year to complete each weapon. So, if your friend wants to give it a go, time and final customer cost shouldn't be that big of a factor for a truly custom gun.

-JT

Links