S&W Highway Patrolman?

S&W Highway Patrolman?

This is a discussion on S&W Highway Patrolman? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I believe this gun is also known as the model 28 anyways my local shop has a nice used one in stock. it's a pinned ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

S&W Highway Patrolman?

I believe this gun is also known as the model 28 anyways my local shop has a nice used one in stock. it's a pinned and recessed with a 4inch barrel. I'd use it as a house/range gun with mostly .38's and .38+p's for my wife to learn to shoot on,but I would like to fire .357's through it are these guns well suited for this use? thanks.

It's THE .357. N frame Smith, I think 27 is adjustable sight, 28 fixed.

1951 - 2011
    Hello. They are capable of any .357 magnum diet you care to choose for them and tough as nails. They are the same gun as the Model 27 but without the beautiful bright polished blue and the checkered top strap. They have adjustable sights as does the Model 27.

They were the standard issue revolver for the Texas Department of Public safety for many years and from what I have witnessed and been told, served well.

While their large N-frame will certainly help tame recoil, the revolver might be too large for your wife's hands. I would use the smaller "service" stocks if possible.

With these larger target stocks, the N-frame can be quite a handful.

This Model 28 is wearing the smaller service stocks and a Tyler grip adapter. Whether or not you opt to use the adapter or not, I strongly suspect that your wife or shooters having smaller hands might do better with service stocks.

These heavy-duty revolvers can certainly handle full-power magnums with ease but I might opt to use mid-power .357's for self-protection such as Remington Golden Saber 125-gr. JHP, Speer's 135-gr. "short bbl" 357 load or Corbon 125-gr. DPX.

If you opt to use .38 Specials, but absolutely sure to clean the cylinder chambers well after use. After repeated use of .38's in the .357, deposits build that can prevent or hinder chambering magnums or let you load them up and fire them and make extraction difficult. This is easily avoided by cleaning after shooting .38's.

Best and good luck to you and yours.

Best.

The Model 28

My first personally purchased handgun.

I wish I still had it. I put a lot of rounds, both 38 Special and .357 Magnum through mine with nary a problem. You will wear out before the gun does.

Mr. Stephen, that's a beautiful Highway Patrolman you have sir.

Biker

Administrator
    Fine High Quality firearm.
    Agree that it might be a bit large for smallish hands.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    This is a top of the line gun and shows Smith & Wesson's old world quality. It is built on the same frame as the .44 Magnum and was intended to be a workhorse. As it hasn't been made for quite some time it has the potential for some collector interest. It might also be too heavy and large for your wife's hand. You might want to consider a L-frame model such as the 686 for her.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    My first personally purchased handgun.

I wish I still had it. I put a lot of rounds, both 38 Special and .357 Magnum through mine with nary a problem.

Me too.

It was the first firearm I purchased and the only one ever sold. I was young and foolish.

This was the first handgun my bride ever fired. If I recall, she shot better than me.

I traded one off a few years ago. Wish I hadn't.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

In my view the .357 Magnum cartridge is best executed on the Smith & Wesson N-Frame. A very effective revolver that is capable of utilizing full power .357 Magnum ammunition in all its glory. Recoil remains quite manageable with any load.

My wife is small and thinks an N-Frame .357, when fitted with the service stocks, is keen. She can handle it very well.

As everyone's said. A great .357 that's absolutely bulletproof. For a house/range gun, you just can't go wrong.

My only concern would be the size since you want your wife to shoot it. I have dinky little fingers and it's just not a good fit for me......the K frame model 19 is better suited to me and would be a great .38 spl shooting platform that could still be loaded with .357's for home defense.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    It's THE .357. N frame Smith, I think 27 is adjustable sight, 28 fixed.
    Both have adjustable sights. The Model 27 has a nicer blued finish and better factory fitting of the internals resulting in a smoother action out of the box.

In the mid to late 70's, the model 28 4" was my duty weapon. As a kid, my parents bought me model 28 6".
    To my regret, both are long gone.

The model 28 is an excellant revolver.
    Randy

Hi guys thanks guys for the replies I've considered the grip size also. my wife has held my brother's 29 with service stocks and she said she could grip it well,so I'm thinking the 28 should be the same fit with the service stocks right? As an interesting side note to N-frame .357's I rememeber reading somewhere that ernest rommel carried an N-frame S&W does anyone know if this is correct?

Quote Originally Posted by randyc74 View Post
    Both have adjustable sights. The Model 27 has a nicer blued finish and better factory fitting of the internals resulting in a smoother action out of the box.

In the mid to late 70's, the model 28 4" was my duty weapon. As a kid, my parents bought me model 28 6".
    To my regret, both are long gone.

The model 28 is an excellant revolver.
    I sit corrected!

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    Hi guys thanks guys for the replies I've considered the grip size also. my wife has held my brother's 29 with service stocks and she said she could grip it well,so I'm thinking the 28 should be the same fit with the service stocks right? As an interesting side note to N-frame .357's I rememeber reading somewhere that ernest rommel carried an N-frame S&W does anyone know if this is correct?
    Yes, the N Frame service stocks will be the same for the 29 and the 28. As for Erwin Rommel's choice of handguns, I don't know but will research it a bit.

1943 - 2009
    I rememeber reading somewhere that ernest rommel carried an N-frame S&W does anyone know if this is correct?
    I believe you have your characters confused.

Rommel's opponent, General George S. Patton, occasionally carried a S&W .357 Magnum (the predecessor to the Model 27) with a 3.5 inch barrel and ivory (not pearl!) stocks.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links