Got an email from S&W

Got an email from S&W

This is a discussion on Got an email from S&W within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was planning on buying a 638 or a 642 no-lock. I couldn't find any info on the 638, so I emailed Smith and Wesson ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got an email from S&W

Got an email from S&W

I was planning on buying a 638 or a 642 no-lock. I couldn't find any info on the 638, so I emailed Smith and Wesson to ask them if they plan on offering a no-lock version of the 638. They responded saying:

"hi
    sorry no longer have non-lock guns
    thanks"

I don't know if I'm going to buy a j-frame if I can't get one without a lock, which really sucks because I was looking forward to trying pocket carry.
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

Why do you want a no lock revolver? I have a 638 (with a lock) that I pocket carry. The lock has never been an issue as I never use it.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PHILBEE View Post
    Why do you want a no lock revolver? I have a 638 (with a lock) that I pocket carry. The lock has never been an issue as I never use it.
    Same here

There have been more than enough reports of lock failures on Smith J frames to make me not want to take the chance.
    Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

The lock failures are mostly a myth, very few have been the truth. Never using will eliminate most issues.

Just shop for a good used Smith & Wesson of the model that you desire that's without the dinky lock baggage. I've never had a Smith & Wesson revolver lock up on me but then I don't have any with little fiddly locks on them.

Yes, they do lock up. I know folks to whom it's happened. I just shot a Model 329 PD a couple of weeks back that displayed the tendency.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    The lock failures are mostly a myth, very few have been the truth. Never using will eliminate most issues.
    Not really.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

CDH
    Quote Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
    Ummm... not quite:
    Post Your Integral Lock Induced Failures (ILIF). - Topic Powered by eve community

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Jeez...I've been reading through that thread. It's scary. I don't want an S&W anymore.

Oh yeah, and I recall reading somewhere that Massad Ayoob said he doesn't think using one of these is a good idea. Not sure if anyone knows exactly what he said on the subject?
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Well...I've put hundreds...perhaps thousands...of rounds through mine and have never had it lock up...
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    Its a none issue, another firearms myth. The S&W locks are not an issue with these guns. Remember, people can write anything they want to, you do not have to beleive it all.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Unless the forum members on the other referenced forum are not being truthful the failures are not a myth. Accordingly, I would not purchase a S&W with a lock.

The odds of the gun failing due to the lock appear to exceed the odds of being attacked. As is often asked, "Is your life worth taking a chance?" Not for me.

Regards,
    Jerry

First I will not have a lock on a firearm, its stupid, remember the old 656 smith auto? It would not fire with out mag, good safety feature a few people died with a round in chamber after mag fell out or not seated. But more important point is by buying a smith you support a company imposing its will on its customers, not supplying what its customers want. That's arrogance by ignoring what the market wants. If you want to lock your firearm, there are a lot of methods, better and safer.

Senior Moderator
    There have been numerous reports of magazine disconnects saving lives; Mas is one source. Another is a poster here that was part of a large PD that had mag disconnects on their guns and he was a strong advocate of mag disconnects because of how many incidents on the street ended with the LEO going home because the GG couldn't get the gun to work.

If anyone has any real, documented stots of mag disconnects being the sole reason for a gunfight to turn out badly, I'd love to hear them.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

I can't back it up any more, it was in the 80's, so I'll retract that, but stand by company arrogance.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links