Need a little more power

This is a discussion on Need a little more power within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I've gotten to thinking about things...which usually leads me to spend money... Right now my carry guns are limited to a Bersa Thunder 380 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need a little more power

Need a little more power

Well I've gotten to thinking about things...which usually leads me to spend money...

Right now my carry guns are limited to a Bersa Thunder 380 DLX and a Smith and Wesson 637 snubbie. One a 9 shot 380 automatic, the other a 5 shot .38 Special +P revolver. While I love and trust these guns, I think we can all agree that I need a little more in the stopping power department...

So I've been doing some looking around, and Academy Sports lists Smith and Wesson Sigma automatics (both 9mm and .40 cal with 16 and 14 round mags, respectively) for $330.00 online. I'm pretty sure their prices should be the same at all stores. I am a little budget minded and that's about all I want to spend, as with tax, ammo, and holster it'll be closer to $400.00 total.

Now I know some are going to say something about the trigger, or "spend a little extra and get a Glock or XXX" but I have fired a Sigma in .40 cal before and I didn't find the trigger or anything else about the gun objectionable, and I wouldn't mind having one.

Anyway, I'll need to cruise up to Academy and see if they actually have one of course, but how is the durability of these guns? Is 9mm or .40 S&W what you would consider to be "sufficient" stopping power? If they have both calibers, which is preferable? Above all else, with what I have do I really NEED a larger caliber/capacity handgun? Usually I only carry one or the other, only on rare occasions do I carry both. TIA.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

2. Remove Ads

If you would feel more comfortable with a larger caliber, then by all means purchase it.

-Jeff-

I carried a 9 before I bought my 40 and always felt underpowered. Of course you can kill with a 22, but in real life as much lead as you can transfer to the BG as possible, the better. The 40 was a perfect mid point between my 9 and the semiultimate gob-stopper - the 45.
    [I]They make a desert and call it peace - Calgacus
    We're all just a bunch of Right Wing Racist Republican Homophobes - Rush L.

UHOH This is gonna start a caliber war. With good sd ammo though, I carry a Bersa .380 and my j-frame .38 every now and then with no worries. I prefer my Kahr 9mm or 1911 simply because of how they feel in my hand and how they aim, not because the punch out a bigger hole. As far as the Sigmas, I fired some of the old school sigmas, and it was a rough gun to fire. The newer ones seem pretty solidly built. S&W Generally makes a good gun, the Sigma seems to be their economy gun, but hey if it goes bang every time and hits the target, then its a good gun. Remember with heavier ammo, comes more recoil, with more recoil, comes slower follow-up shots. Also, the bigger the gun, the more work it takes to conceal it. In my opinion, every gun and every caliber has it's place in my carry rotation. I routinely switch between .380, .38, 9mm, and .45 and am never worried about being under gunned.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

VIP Member
    If you can handle the recoil on the .40 I'd go with it (personal preference). Both 9mm and .40 are reliable stoppers with a good quality SD round, like the Federal HST. The 9mm will be cheaper to shoot in the long run, due to ammo cost. When your looking in a local store remember, the price may appear to be a little higher up front, but actually cheaper when your factor in transfer fees, and shipping.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If you want MORE power then consider the .40 of course. As mentioned, ammo will be more expensive in the larger caliber. 9mm is very common and therefore cheaper to shoot. I've got the caliber spectrum covered, but most often have my Keltec .380 in my pocket. ANY gun on you, is better than the one left behind.

Don't limit yourself, but do make sure that the caliber of your next purchase starts with a "4" and ends with a "5"...OMO

But I gotta tell ya'...

No matter what the caliber, it isn't gonna' help you next weekend?

Stay armed...Go Gators!...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If that all you have to spend and it must be new, the Sigma is a good choice. I know guys that have them with no problems. 9mm or .40 both are excellent SD calibers, the 9 is cheaper to shoot, I personally feel comfortable with the .40
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    Well I've gotten to thinking about things...which usually leads me to spend money...

So I've been doing some looking around, and Academy Sports lists Smith and Wesson Sigma automatics (both 9mm and .40 cal with 16 and 14 round mags, respectively) for $330.00 online. I'm pretty sure their prices should be the same at all stores. I am a little budget minded and that's about all I want to spend, as with tax, ammo, and holster it'll be closer to $400.00 total..

SURPRISE

Offer is good thru Dec. 31 2008.

-------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to run up to Academy in about an hour during my break to browse around a bit, maybe buy if something stands out. I think I'll opt for the .40 S&W but I won't exclude a 9mm if that's all they have or can get.

As for the .45 suggestion...I wish! I'd like a good quality 1911 but seeing as how I'm still in college that's a bit out of my price range.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    SURPRISE

Offer is good thru Dec. 31 2008.

Thanks! I was actually just wondering if they had any rebates on these! My mind is pretty much set for sure on the Sigma now. :D
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

with the stainless barrel and slide, my sigma still looks new after thousands of rounds. Get the 9 and shoot the crap out of it and have fun. just keep it loaded with (my sigma likes hornady tap) with a good HP for SD.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Well guys, I'm now the proud owner of a Sigma 40VE with 14+1 round capacity.

Went in, handled it a bit, and decided it was right for me. What sealed the deal was their offer to throw in a free box of Hornady TAP ammo with it. Now, I'll mail in my rebate. I feel like I came away pretty good. :D

Initial impressions pretty much revolve around "holy crap this is a big gun" but considering the other guns I really carry it's probably not as big as I think it is. I'll get used to it with some shooting and time. It's okay that it's a little on the large side as it's primary purpose is winter carry or any situation where I have clothes that will cover it. I also like that this gun doesn't have one of those controversial locks like both my Smith J Frame and my Bersa have.

I'll post some pics up when I get home.

Question though, where is the safety on this gun? Manual doesn't specify. I usually carry condition 1 and I'm not sure how I feel about carrying it with a round chambered but the safety off. Definitely wouldn't consider carrying without a round chambered, though.

jfl
    Power ????

What we use to say in the muscle-car era:
    Power ? Way too much is barely enough ...

Like one of the regulars here say, after it's over nobody complains about too big a gun ...

It is a balance between power and carry comfort; each of us has his/her own choice; I am happy with My Glock 26 (9mm) even though it starts getting heavy at this time 9:30 pm
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Safety on a Sigma is your finger! No manual safety on it.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

I was pretty stoked when I decided to go ahead and get a M&P 45 and as I'm filling out paperwork he hands me the rebate coupons :) Gotta love getting 4 mags with a new gun
    A dozen means twelve, learn to count bakers! - Stephen Colbert

Colt 1991A1 and S&W M&P 45 Compact

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links