Anybody carry a full-size Glock?

This is a discussion on Anybody carry a full-size Glock? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking to kill two birds with one stone. I'm going to purchase a handgun to be used as a backup when hunting (wild hogs, etc.) ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking to kill two birds with one stone. I'm going to purchase a handgun to be used as a backup when hunting (wild hogs, etc.) or even a primary hunting weapon for dense woods. I've settled on the Glock 20.

I'm also in the process of obtaining my CCW and ideally would like to carry the Glock.

I'm 6'4" and 240 lbs and feel I would be able to conceal this without too much problem.

I'd like to hear from someone that carries a full-size Glock and any pros/cons.

Thanks!

First off, welcome to the forum. Interesting user name......Armegeddon? Be sure to find the new members introductions and post there so I can continue to up my post count easily. Glad you found the site.
    Secondly, I do carry full size Glocks in the winter months when I wear the appropriate outer/cover garments. Mine are the G17 and G22. A G20 is a bit larger still, and I'd call the G20 and G21 the large frame big bores. I did carry a G21 for two years OWB under the typical jacket for cooler weather. I'm not really skinny, but I'm thin. 200lbs and 6"1". It was rather bulky for me in the CC department even though I loved the idea of 45acp with 13 or 14 shots readily available. It never saw the windshield time it deserved in my opinion, and I only had one holster for it. As time went on, my G21 got carried less and less and my G17 was the 'go-to' pistol for the purpose. Not much difference in the weight department with full magazines, but the G21's grip was also somewhat awkward for me. Everything I own in the way of pistols gets carried depending on circumstances. Both my G21 and G30 sort of fell from my graces a few years ago because they just didn't work for me in the big picture. I grieve for neither one, and consider myself a step up in one direction for selling or trading them. My new love in 45acp is the P220 SAO. From what I've heard and seen, the newer Glock SF offerings in the large frame big bores just doesn't seem to be enough for me to turn back the hands of time. But for anyone who can make the G20 or G21 work, to love, cherish, to hold and to carry, you couldn't go wrong!

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    I carry a Witness 10mm on some days, esp during the winter, in this
    rig.

A $69 miami vice type shoulder rig that will accepts most CZs and also Glocks.

Someday I'll get the horsehide version in tan, that would Rock!

My 10mm is my woods walking gun. Carried a CZ75 9mm, but it felt to
    smal in power . Then a G30 for a while before going the old style Witness.

A G20 is lighter than a WIT 10, but also more recoil for me.

You are well protected with a 10mm in the woods.

I carry a G22 every day on and off duty in a Safariland pancake holster with an un-tucked shirt. It conceals very well (I'm 5'11'' and 210), especially when I wear a shirt that has some sort of broken pattern to it to break up any sort of printing. Just be sure to wear a solid, good quality leather belt. Its really not much harder to conceal than my G27.
    Owner/ Instructor
    Your Best Defense, LLC
    SC CWP training
    1st Aid & CPR training
    www.yourbestdefensesc.com

I carry a G22. It's either in my Gould & Goodrich 3 slot leather pancake or my RF1 G-Code holster's. The only time I'm not carrying is when I'm on duty on post. (Pesky army regs) Once I'm off post I'm carrying.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

I sometimes carry a G22 usually in a Bullard "Undercover" just behind my right hip or in a IWB Bullard for lefties in my right back pocket (the clip on my pocket). Surprising how well the IWB works like this, but you need a coat or long shirt to conceal it properly. I'm also a fairly full size guy at 6'4" and 225lb so a full size pistol only seems right. Next up is a DW CBOB or Sig 220 SAS. Merry Christmas to me!

I have CC a G33 IWB with an extra mag in the pocket for a while. I'm round and 5 10 ish. If I could pull it off, you should be able to.

Only thing I found to be a problem was bending over & sitting down. As my occupation involves a lot of movement, this became a chore. I went to a S&W 642 Airweight (no-lock) J-Frame with Uncle Mike's pocket holster loaded with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP front pocket every day.

But that experience is a CC. When it comes to hunting a cheap uncle mike's sidekick holster should do the trick. You could also consider a http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...r-holster.html. However I had mixed feelings about this when I took it hunting.

PS: IMHO...5 inch 44 mag revolver best back up woods carry

While I'm not a big guy, 5'8 160lbs I tend to have a harder time than most carrying. I wanted stopping power, but it had to be small.....my choice was the Kahr PM45.

The largest I will carry is either My Glock32 .357sig

Or my XD45

I tried REAL hard to love the G21. Unfortunately, it carried like football. Way to big to properly conceal unless you're wearing a parka. Plus the grip was too large, even for my big hands.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I purposely went with the G23 - that full size would be too difficult to completly hide. :)
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I used to carry a G17 off body in a briefcase/holster, then for a time in a Galco Miami Classic shoulder Rig. Then I bought the G19...
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I carry G-17 in an serpa holster.I have other holsters that I use just don't have any brand names worth mentioning.

I carry my duty weapon(G21) off duty almost all the time in the winter months, but I switch to either my Ruger P345 or SP101 in the summer months(now that I have them as they are smaller and way easier to conceal), but I have carried my G21 IWB and I only know one time I was ever made, when I went car shopping and didn't choose a cover shirt acceptable to conceal the weapon when sitting down.It was my mistake as I didn't think I would be sitting down to do the paperwork the first day of car shopping but the wife and I got a good deal. And the guy who made me was a former Fed. LEO. I'm 5'11" and 220lbs.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Kudos go out to those members carrying the G17 or G22!

I carried a 1st Gen G21 Glock for years as an alternative to the gun you see as my avatar; it served me quite well during that time and the only reason I traded it away was to get an XD Tactical. But one day I will obtain another 21......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links