Sadly, it doesn't look like I am a 1911 guy...

This is a discussion on Sadly, it doesn't look like I am a 1911 guy... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is in no way meant to bash 1911 pistols or their owners. I now believe that not all of us(referring to myself)were meant to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is in no way meant to bash 1911 pistols or their owners. I now believe that not all of us(referring to myself)were meant to be 1911 owners. I had a chance to try one out. Well, I like the way the 1911 functions. Before I had to return it I wanted to clean it. Taking it apart was easy enough. Getting it back together was another story. The spring was dealing me fits. It was flexing like crazy and generally a bear to get back in place. Lost the rod that fits inside the spring a couple of times. Glad there were no children or women about to hear my tirade. I have the band aids on my right hand to bear witness to the fact of my struggle. I really want to like the 1911 platform. Guess if I want to satisfy the .45 itch I will have to look to the SIG 220, Glock 21/30, or XD-45 in the future.

I have the SIG P245, It is the cousin of the SIG P220, real easy to clean and take apart and put back togeather
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Interesting. I've never had any probs assembling 1911s.

Is that the only thing you're dissatisfied with? A little practice would rectify that problem if you like the gun otherwise.

I'm biased, though. The 1911 is my favorite pistol of all time.

JD
    Administrator
    I would have loved to see video, it sounds like you were putting it back together incorrectly...how do you launch the spring guide???

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I would have loved to see video, it sounds like you were putting it back together incorrectly...how do you launch the spring guide???
    What JD said.

Biker

Senior Moderator
    Also agree with JD.. I'm trying in picture what you are saying and just not seeing how it's possible with any standard 1911. What make/model where you playing with?

i love my 1911, and with a little practice assem/disassem will be like second nature. ive thought about other sidearms, but i just cant get rid of my 1911 its near and dear to me
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

Nothing wrong with that! I'm not a Glock guy just because the ergonomics and grip angle don't feel natural to me. Even the most expensive, reliable, and accurate gun in the world isn't the right gun for you if you're not comfortable with it!
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

Well, I am new to that type of pistol. I can describe the parts and what I was doing. The piece that was dealing fits besides the spring was a metal part that held the spring in and rested on the barrel. The spring went into a hollow metal tube that was beneath the barrel. The spring fit inside the hollow tube and the rod had a crescent groove the fit against the barrel went inside the spring. That was the piece that was being launched into the air due to the spring.The barrel also was secured by a piece of metal that fit around it and had a semi-circle cut in the bottom of that piece. It fit around the hollow piece the spring went into. Sorry for the lack of technical terms. Still very frustrated by the encounter.

Senior Moderator
    It looks like you were having trouble with the bushing, plug and recoil spring.

It would be interesting to see how you were trying to reassemble it, step-by-step.

I remember the first time I tried to reassemble one without knowing what I was doing. It was very entertaining.

JD
    Administrator
    OK, the parts are the:

Guide Rod: This is the metal piece that goes inside the rear of the spring
    Recoil Spring: I think this one is simple...
    Recoil Spring Plug: This is the plug that goes on the end of the spring and is held in place by the barrel bushing.
    Barrel Bushing: The metal part that holds the recoil spring plug in place.

For re-assembly, you place the spring on the guide, install that under the barrel, put the slide stop back in place mating the slide/barrel assembly to the frame and holding the spring and spring guide in place.

The barrel bushing should all ready be installed at this time and rotated in the proper direction for the spring plug to be installed and held in place by the bushing.

You can find more detailed instructions here: The Sight's M1911 .45 ACP Page

I know it's a little complicated, but if you are doing it wrong, it's not the guns fault

Lima, the pistol was a Springfield Armory Compact carry LTW. It had Night .45 printed on the side and the model number was PI 9102. I am in the habit of taking notes on my experiences be they positive or negative. That way I can learn from them.

JD
    Administrator
    Ahhh that explains it a little better.

Compact 1911s usually come with a special tool to make disassembly/redisassembly more easy.

I don't think you had the tool.

Recoil spring guide? In comparison to modern autos, the 1911 can seem bass-ackwards. Basically, you don't assemble the upper (as you do Glock, Sig, HK, et al..) and slide it onto the lower, unless you have a full-length guide rod. A good vid or hands-on walk trough would be your best tutorial. Equally, I like 1911s, but I won't carry one by choice.

JD
    Administrator
    Yep, according to the Springfield Manual there is a missing piece to your puzzle.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links