I've noticed some negative attitudes towards Taurus, why?

This is a discussion on I've noticed some negative attitudes towards Taurus, why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a pt 92 as some might recall. I love the gun, beautiful, and shot without a hickup but it was shooting low. ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I've noticed some negative attitudes towards Taurus, why?

I just bought a pt 92 as some might recall. I love the gun, beautiful, and shot without a hickup but it was shooting low. I had to send it back to have the barrel can't readjusted. Still love the gun though.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    They have some decent models, the 99 and 92's are decent at best. They do have a lot of issues else where, and I'd never suggest that someone who will be shooting a lot purchase one. Materials tend to be sub par, mechanics leave a lot to be desired and they really are not any cheaper than the top of the heap. Their Lifetime warranty isnt worth the paper its written on.

Taurus practices a shell game of sorts, sucking in the inexperianced gun buyer with a lot of flash and dazzle with a "lower" price tag. Once its all said and done, most times you will end up paying a lot more for the cheaper Taurus than you would a Glock, Beretta S&W etc. So, you might as well purchase a top shelf pistol and be done with it.

Now with all that said, some of their revolvers are a pretty good alternative, if you know what to look for with respect to problems. If you don't, your much better off sticking with S&W and Ruger leaving the gamble for somebody else.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I really don't have any statistics to show they produce more lemons than anyone else. They might be there but I don't try and equate internet posts to anything overall...

I have had two related Taurus guns in my life. A Pre-Tarus Rossi Revolver that I still own and it is a work horse. And I had one of their 85 model revo's that worked just fine and I sold off because it didn't carry well for me.

The REAL problem with Taurus, is not its lemons that crop up, but how they deal with those. Seems customer service is almost non existent. And so once a bad gun shows up, its not fixed and the owner screams bloody murder about it. And they should. If there is one reason to not buy a Taurus that would be it.

I have a Stainless 669 that has been a great gun. Nice shooter and reliable. Can't complain about it at all. Now, I have owned 2 Smith and Wessons that were just headaches. One was a Sigma Series and the other was a 22A. With the 22A I had exactly half of the slide break off (rear). They did fix it very fast but it was still a problem. You will run into issues with all manufacturers.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

I've owned a number of Taurus guns over the last 25 years and have been very happy with all them. Actually, my favorite .45 is a PT945 I've had for a number of years.

If you're happy with your Taurus and it's reliable, don't worry about what others think. As for their resale/trade-in value, I don't consider that when I buy a gun. Personally, When I buy any gun, I assume I will keep it until I die or I'm too old to shoot it anymore. Unlike like some folks, I don't look at my firearms as used cars to be traded or sold at the best offer or when the next fancy new model is released.

If you like your gun and are happy with it, more power to you and shoot it as often as you can.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I own 3 Taurus firearms. One is a 6 inch blued .357 revolver that the model number escapes me right now. This gun is over 20 years old and had never had a problem. Fit and finish are good and it shoots very well.

Second is my PT-99 (adjustable sight version of the 92) in satin stainless finish. This gun is by far the one in my collection that has the most rounds put through it. Many, many thousands of rounds in fact. I used to shoot IDPA with it and it was my carry gun for many years. No problems or malfunctions of any kind at all.

Next is a PT-111, non-PRO model. Original design no less, the one that everyone hated and they had real trouble with but I have had no trouble with at all. It has several thousand rounds through it and it has never malfunctioned in any way. In fact, it is my small deep concealment gun.

I have not bought a Taurus for about 8 or 9 years now, I started buying Glocks and Springfields. But I would buy another. In fact I am really wanting to actually hold one of the new Taurus PT-809 models PT-809Bbecause it looks very ergonomic and it also looks like they have addressed some of the complaints that people had with other designs with this gun.

The only thing that really makes me leery of buying more Taurus guns is the reports of their customer service. I have not heard many good reports, many bad reports. So I would worry about that.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I don't really want to get a Taurus slamming thread rolling just due to my personal prejudices.
    I just wanted to attempt to answer your question as honestly as possible.
    Most of the folks that went through that early Taurus era probably won't ever buy one.

Also other firearms makers have had some bad years.
    Colt being one of them that had some problems with functional reliability for some period of years.

The main problem with Taurus was the really high percentage of catastrophic failures. Catastrophic being defined as a failure that would instantly stop a firearm from functioning.
    In other words it instantly became worthless AKA non-functioning for self-defense purposes.

Also being honest the people that bought them and never had any problems with the one they bought were satisfied with their purchase.
    And that is what I meant by crap-shoot.

It seemed like you either got a good one or you got a lemon/dog of a gun that needed to go back for repair. Sometimes more than once or twice. Some people who owned one seemed satisfied to keep on sending it in for various repairs until it was finally right. Not something that many others were willing to suffer through especially for a self-defense firearm.

I've been following the "Internet Chatter" on Taurus firearms for years now - and to their credit I do not see as many major complaints as in previous years, and overall many folks these days seem much more satisfied than dissatisfied.
    That is always a good thing.

So...I'll end with...if you own a good one and it's functioning fine and you've not had any problems with it and you have developed confidence in it...then that is what is important and you got yourself a good one so be happy about that.

QK said it much better than I ever could.

A post stating, "I've had my Taurus for 20 years and have never experienced a malfunction or problem.", is nice to read but really tells us nothing. Perhaps this statement is made based on an actual round count of 20 rds per year. Perhaps less!
    The American Handgunner article by Clint Smith involving the PT1911 gave us some subtle clues. As in the gun changed point of aim/point of impact by 6" within 5000rds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a gun for EVERY budget. Just don't try to tell us that a cheap off-shore gun is better than a Colt. A Yugo IS NOT superior to a Mercedes.
    I know quite a few experienced and respected pistolsmiths. Not ONE would agree to performing expensive mods on a Taurus. Any guess as to why?
    Run whatcha brung. A Jimenez is better'n a stick.

One of the first autos I bought.....

Quote Originally Posted by frankinstine View Post
    I carry a Taurs PT92 9mm, its always worked great for me. Great looking gun, no malfuntion at all, shoots great. I love it. My dad carried it for years before it became mine and he still likes it better than his beretta 9mm's.

Where is the negativity towards Taurus coming from? i know that one good gun doesn't make them all good, i've just yet to have any bad experience with them. Oh, he also had a taurus .38 that was a great gun.
    Was the PT92 with adjustable sight. About a month after buying it I was at the range shooting when I get hit in the forehead by something. I thought it was the eject but it was the sight. It had sheared off. Taurus took care of it at no charge to me except shipping. A month after getting the new slide the same thing happens. Once again they took care of it but this time I asked if this was something that happened a lot. The indicated it did but that they would continue to replace the slide. I got it back and traded it for a Beretta with a fixed sight. I would have preferred to hear Taurus say they were working on fixing the problem permanently. Having you gun gone for a month at a time even free is no bargain. No problems since.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Was the PT92 with adjustable sight. About a month after buying it I was at the range shooting when I get hit in the forehead by something. I thought it was the eject but it was the sight. It had sheared off. Taurus took care of it at no charge to me except shipping. A month after getting the new slide the same thing happens. Once again they took care of it but this time I asked if this was something that happened a lot. The indicated it did but that they would continue to replace the slide. I got it back and traded it for a Beretta with a fixed sight. I would have preferred to hear Taurus say they were working on fixing the problem permanently. Having you gun gone for a month at a time even free is no bargain. No problems since.
    No, mine is fixed sight.

Its nice to hear some of the positive side too. Actually the only complaint i have about my taurus is that my dad's 40 slide for his beretta will fit my taurus, but it has the safety on the slide, and my taurus has the safety on the frame, so i don't want to try shooting it. anyone try it?

My mom has a Taurus 85 .357 Magnum, standard weight. Went out shopping for a gun with her and picked it. She didn't want to spend a lot, didn't want too much recoil, but didn't have the hand strength to move the slide on an automatic. It pretty much fits that bill except for the recoil part, but with non +P .38 spl it shouldn't be that bad.

Seems like a decent quality gun. She hasn't fired it yet but will be soon. Fit and finish, tightness, and general feel and ergonomics is nowhere near my Smith J Frame though, even with all the rounds I've put through the Smith. Smith feels like a precision tuned instrument, Taurus just feels like it'll go bang. Which honestly, is all you really need it to do.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

I had a PT111 that worked great but the trigger felt funny to me and wouldn't reset like my 1911 so I gave it to my niece and she loves it. I also have a PT945. When I got it the magazine was defective and I had to buy a replacement. The other thing about the PT945 I don't like is that it bends the side of the cases when they eject. The ejection port is really small. I have never had a jam caused by the ejection port yet but it doesn't mean it won't. The PT945 has been relegated to be my bedroom gun. My EDC remains my 1911. I have thought of getting a PT1911 just for practice so I don't wear out my other 1911's. If I do get one I'll give a report.

I've found the Taurus brand has come a long way in the past 15 yrs as far as quality . I currently have a few of them in my vast collection such as a TAURUS .357 CIA , 24/7 COMPACT 9MM , PT1911 .45acp ,PT917 9MM , JUDGE .410 and a TRACKER .44MAG (2.5") . My 1911 out shot a kimber , springfield and sti in a competition a few months ago . I think they're great guns. I own more expensive ones and would put my TAURUS UP AGAINST ANY OF THEM .

For those worried about the customer service. I just sent mine in right before thanksgiving. They told me 3 weeks on the phone, but quickly received a letter that they had gotten my goun and it would be 5-6 weeks. We'll see how it goes.

I guess it is like automobiles. Some folks like Chevy, some like Fords, some like Chryslers. I have one of each and bought each one for the vehicle, not the name that was on the front. If you have one or someone you know or someone on the internet has one that acts up, well that is what sticks with you I think, and lots of bad mouthing comes from people that don't have real personal experience with them.

I have a 3rd generation PT 111, and a 24/7 Pro DS in 9mm. I have not had a problem with either of them. I like the fit, finish and the SA trigger with the safety set up similar to a 1911. I like the grip on both better than my wifes G19, the Glock just doesn't fit my fat fingers I guess. She likes her Glock, so be it.

I don't sell guns once I buy them, so I really am not concerned with resale of a gun. If things get tight, there are lots of alternatives to selling off firearms. I wasn't really drawn into buying my first Taurus simply because of the price, I bought it because it fit my hand, fit where I wanted to carry it and had a SA trigger that felt good. I don't like DA pistols, or revolvers. I like SA triggers, that is the way my rifles, shotguns, pistols, and the way I shoot my revolvers.

If you like your Taurus, that is all that matters. It is your gun, no one elses.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I would buy a Taurus Revolver but not a semi-automatic. With that said my revolver is a Smith & Wesson but for the right price I would consider adding a Taurus revolver to the collection.

Taurus has had a bad rep mainly due the the issues with its semi-autos but has a good record for revolvers.
    MsXD9

[B]"When seconds count police are minutes away"!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links