I've noticed some negative attitudes towards Taurus, why?

This is a discussion on I've noticed some negative attitudes towards Taurus, why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by SIXTO They have some decent models, the 99 and 92's are decent at best. They do have a lot of issues else ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I've noticed some negative attitudes towards Taurus, why?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    They have some decent models, the 99 and 92's are decent at best. They do have a lot of issues else where, and I'd never suggest that someone who will be shooting a lot purchase one. Materials tend to be sub par, mechanics leave a lot to be desired and they really are not any cheaper than the top of the heap. Their Lifetime warranty isnt worth the paper its written on.

Taurus practices a shell game of sorts, sucking in the inexperianced gun buyer with a lot of flash and dazzle with a "lower" price tag. Once its all said and done, most times you will end up paying a lot more for the cheaper Taurus than you would a Glock, Beretta S&W etc. So, you might as well purchase a top shelf pistol and be done with it.

Now with all that said, some of their revolvers are a pretty good alternative, if you know what to look for with respect to problems. If you don't, your much better off sticking with S&W and Ruger leaving the gamble for somebody else.
    We've talked about this a few times on here and your argument gets more persuasive each time. I still am happy with my two Taurus revos but now I feel like I'm just lucky.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Of course not all but many future problems can be completely avoided by buying any firearm (by any maker) locally and carefully "going over" and function checking that firearm before you fork out your hard earned cash for it.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Love my 1911. Shoots great would buy another 1911 from them just not sure of there others. I am very fickle about them but trust them enough to carry.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Thumbs down

I've had two Tauruses(Tauri?) Both the same but for caliber. One 22, one 25. The 22 has always worked fine. The 25 did everything but melt. Failure to fire, failure to extract, failure to eject...once it even jammed up with an empty caught sideways between the slide and barrel...quite an accomplishment for a gun with a completely open slide.
    Safety often went on in the middle of firing...well that sure makes the target safe.
    Magazines often fell out while firing...that makes everybody safe!
    The expression POS seems so inadequate.
    For a while it was almost fun to see what it would do next...for a while. But I soon grew tired of the game. Sent it in for warranty sevice with the hope that they would just replace the lemon but after several months it came back with a checklist of what they had "fixed." Only a few of its many faults were even mentioned. Sad to say that gun is no longer with me.
    I don't know how they managed to make such a complete mess of one little gun but they did a fine job of it.
    They have no quality control whatsoever. They have very near to no customer service. On a good day they can make a gun that works fine...my 22 for instance but they don't seem to care. I realize others who have been lucky will think they make good guns as I did with my first Taurus. After my second and last, I know better. :hand1
    Save yourself the risk and look elsewhere. Whatever type of gun you're looking for there will be other makers who make something similar. I have'nt owned or fired most of the many guns around but three companies I could recommend are Bersa, Kel-Tec and Springfield Armory(XD.) You can surely find other companies that are good to deal with. Skip Taurus.

I fired one [Taurus] awhile ago and the trigger was just awful (very gritty). Add that to their reputation for unreliability and that's one brand I would never consider.

I had a bad experience w/a Ruger P-85 too. Gritty trigger AND the sights were so mis-aligned that I couldn't find the paper at 7 yards. Also had a small chunk of metal come out of the forcing cone on a Single Six. Ruger is another brand I would never consider.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Taurus practices a shell game of sorts, sucking in the inexperianced gun buyer with a lot of flash and dazzle with a "lower" price tag. Once its all said and done, most times you will end up paying a lot more for the cheaper Taurus than you would a Glock, Beretta S&W etc. So, you might as well purchase a top shelf pistol and be done with it.
    And how do they do that? If it breaks, you send it, they fix it, they ship it back and no charge.

Lifetime Guarantee they call it. And it does not matter if you bought the gun originally or not. The guarantee stays with the gun.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I have a PT745. I love the little guy. It conceals great, carries 7+1 of .45 ACP but...... the mag does not fit snug into the mag well which caused hp rounds to jam and FMJs to stub into the feed ramp.

I called Taurus and they sent me a new mag release thinking this would cure the problem seeing how it was prematurely worn.

I got the release out but I couldn't get it to go back in. So i took it to my friendly local gun store and they said they would take care of it. A week later and they had no success either.
    But for my troubles, the release spring, which is a simple pin and is set into the polymer mag well, was bent and the sleeve it fits into was reamed out. ( i won't be going there anymore.)

Now, Ive returned it to Taurus for repair. I haven't heard from them since they received it but customer service told me that we warranty was NOT voided by the unauthorized work. So, we'll see.

As far as owning another Taurus, I probable would. But the $50
    price tag for sending in for each repair will quickly negate the original low price tag.
    Grassroots SC, SC CWP, NH NR-PRL

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    And how do they do that? If it breaks, you send it, they fix it, they ship it back and no charge.

Lifetime Guarantee they call it. And it does not matter if you bought the gun originally or not. The guarantee stays with the gun.
    Yup, its a life time guarantee. It takes a life time to fix it, and a lifetime for them to send it back. I'd rather buy a gun that not only doesnt need a guarantee, but it something does go wrong, the manufacture who cares about their reputation fixes it on the double, or will send me the parts needed to fix it myself.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    My biggest beef with Taurus these days is with their Customer Disservice Department.

Hey Taurus...If a customer sends you a firearm for repair...Repair The Doggone Thing!

OK I'm going to post a link to a thread that ran on another web location.
    Normally I would NOT do that BECAUSE I do know that for every person that has a problem with a firearm...you can search the web and find 10 other people that bought the same firearm and never had a problem with it.
    And that is never-ending. Don't bother doing that...you'll be able to see that is not why I posted the link below.

What I don't want to start is: "Well, read this web site 20 people loved the same gun."

I only want to post this as being illustrative of what my huge problem with Taurus Repair is.

The OP comes across as being a calm easy going guy who happened to buy a firearm that had a serious problem.
    He did not spazz out and he remained chilled...in particular "pay attention to" and click on the very last thumbnail photo on Page 2.
    It's the thumbnail picture on Page 2 that shows his gun with the computer screen in the background.

That is what he ended up with for all of his patience and expense. And it's a damn shame and a real crime.
    Click on the link below.

First Outing w/ New PT99 AFS - HandGunForum.net

I have a PT-101 that has seen 25,000 rounds over the course of 14 years and have had four malfunctions that can all be attributed to the shooter.

I have sent the gun back to the factory however. One of the bushings in the frame stripped out and wouldn't hold the grips. That and the pivot pin for the adjustable rear sight broke which I fixed with a paneling nail and a file. Taurus replaced the entire slide when I sent it in for the bushing with out question. I didn't even ask about having the slide looked at. All at no charge. Not going to argue with that kind of logic or service...at least I can't.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

I "owned" quite a few Taurus revolvers and semi-autos through the years.
    Sold them all. Just was never a fan of the triggers, plus some cosmetics.
    Now, I can afford what I want, when I want..so no more "plastic" or "affordable" pieces for me.
    If the day comes again where I lose those means, then by all means, back to the real world of getting what I can afford.
    Guns are like automobiles, so many good choices..what a great world we live in.
    Last edited by mocarryguy; December 6th, 2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I'd buy a taurus revolver if the right model came around.I kinda like the pimped out stanless and gold snubnose ones with mother of pearl grip. They are no where near a carry gun for me as I'll stay with my glocks.

VIP Member
    Well, I guess Taurus just plain suck. People don't buy Taurus!

....so those of us who want them can get them cheap... and we will keep silent about Glocks with catastrophic failures, S&W revos locking up or autos w/ 20lbs triggers, 1911 Kimbers and Wilsons with stovepipes and FTFs and then having to spend $500 in gunsmithing and parts to make them as reliable as a.... Taurus?

But I digress.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    I'd buy a taurus revolver if the right model came around.I kinda like the pimped out stanless and gold snubnose ones with mother of pearl grip. They are no where near a carry gun for me as I'll stay with my glocks.

Senior Moderator
    Well I have 2 Taurus Revolvers and 2 semi's. I have never had a problem with them and I will probably buy more Taurus guns in the future
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links