I've noticed some negative attitudes towards Taurus, why?

This is a discussion on I've noticed some negative attitudes towards Taurus, why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'll just leave it all at the fact that I really believe that they need to get their Lifetime Warranty Repair house in order in ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I've noticed some negative attitudes towards Taurus, why?

Administrator
    I'll just leave it all at the fact that I really believe that they need to get their Lifetime Warranty Repair house in order in a serious way.

2. Remove Ads

I love my Taurus revolver. It's never had problems, and always been fun to shoot!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

I;ve had 2 taurus' millenium pro, 40 cal and 9mm. I loved them both but after shooting other guns, the trigger pull felt like a mile long. Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    My biggest beef with Taurus these days is with their Customer Disservice Department.

Hey Taurus...If a customer sends you a firearm for repair...Repair The Doggone Thing!

OK I'm going to post a link to a thread that ran on another web location.
    Normally I would NOT do that BECAUSE I do know that for every person that has a problem with a firearm...you can search the web and find 10 other people that bought the same firearm and never had a problem with it.
    And that is never-ending. Don't bother doing that...you'll be able to see that is not why I posted the link below.

What I don't want to start is: "Well, read this web site 20 people loved the same gun."

I only want to post this as being illustrative of what my huge problem with Taurus Repair is.

The OP comes across as being a calm easy going guy who happened to buy a firearm that had a serious problem.
    He did not spazz out and he remained chilled...in particular "pay attention to" and click on the very last thumbnail photo on Page 2.
    It's the thumbnail picture on Page 2 that shows his gun with the computer screen in the background.

That is what he ended up with for all of his patience and expense. And it's a damn shame and a real crime.
    Click on the link below.

First Outing w/ New PT99 AFS - HandGunForum.net
    LOL. OP here, the reason i was confused wasn't because of a problem i had, it was the fact that i'd never had any problems.

Kind of like vehicles everyone has their opinion, although short on the experience side I own the Mil Pro 40 and I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixbob View Post
    Kind of like vehicles everyone has their opinion, although short on the experience side I own the Mil Pro 40 and I like it.
    Very true..never knock another man's choices. If you don't like something, sell it and move on. What I do all the time.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Taurus snubbie

I have owned a Taurus Model 850 All Titanium hammerless with ported barrel for almost four years. The trigger is smooth as butter, it is extremely accurate, and I carry it everywhere I go. It is by far the best revolver I've ever owned. I also have owned very expensive, brand-new S&W snubbies that would lock the cylinder, making it impossible to shoot, or the timing was so bad it would spit lead out to the sides. Back in the 1970s, S&W made some excellent revolvers, but I wouldn't own one of the new ones. I have recommended Taurus snubbies to a few lady friends in recent past, and they are happy with them, too.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I have had mixed experiences with Taurus guns, but positive experiences with their service department, so, on balance, I'd have to say I give them a thumbs-up. An unenthusiastic thumbs-up, but a thumbs-up, nonetheless.

The first handgun I owned was a Taurus Model 85, blued steel, wood-gripped .38. Good gun. Got rid of it to buy an M1 carbine.

The second handgun I owned was a similar Taurus- titanium cylinder, aluminum frame, hammerless. It hurt to shoot it and it shot low (products of me putting light and fast ammo in it and being a bit of a sissy rather than deficiency with the gun itself), so I sold it.

Since then I've owned two Judges (absolute hoots to shoots), a 7-shot .357 (617? 817?), which was accurate and reliable- - (sold to get Night Guard 327) and a 415 .41 Mag.

The 415 is/was a good gun. It's accurate, but for reasons I don't fully understand, it shoots its screws loose (loctite or no loctite) and locks up after a several hundred rounds.

Either it's an inherently bad design, or full house .41 mag loads are just real tough on a gun that size.

Whatever the problem is, I send it to Taurus, wait about month, and it's ready to go again.

I don't know just exactly where that gets us, but that's my experience with Taurus.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I have a 745... I like the weight, the balance, and the overall feel of it (plus, it's .45 for some thump)... I wish the grip was just a half inch longer; it would probably fit my hand perfectly.

I DON'T like the takedown procedure. The takedown "lever" is both a lever AND a pin that has to be removed... that really sucks, especially compared to my Sig 220...

But all in all, a decent little gun...

As to your original question, people develop product loyalty for many reasons, rational or not... you've probably met someone that will say, "I'd rather push my Ford than drive a Chevy..." That guy probably had a Chevette years ago that gave him problems, leading him to the erroneous conclusion that "all Chevys suck"...
    Last edited by PointnClick; December 7th, 2008 at 03:31 PM.
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Over the last couple of decades, I have owned the following Taurii:

PT22
    PT111
    PT1911

I've had precisely two problems. After dry-firing the PT22 repeatedly, I was surprised to learn that the firing pin was broken. (I've since learned that you shouldn't dry-fire .22s without a snap cap). Sent it in to Taurus, got it back about a month later, fixed.

Was out at the range with my Model 66 and a brand spanking new box of CCI Blazer ammo. One of the "bangs" was louder and sharper than the rest had been. Then the trigger wouldn't move. And the cylinder wouldn't open. The barrel was tilted off to the left, jamming against the ejector rod. When I finally got the cylinder forced open, that last empty casing had to be DRIVEN out of the chamber. Primer was flattened. Sent the gun back to Taurus, got it back about a month later, not only fixed but refinished. I had to check the serial number to be sure it was the same gun. I sent a nasty-gram to CCI about the incident. They sent me a bedbug letter....and a coupon for a box of free Blazer ammo.....which was never redeemed.

Actually, make that three problems. The inside piece of the slide stop on my PT1911 sheared off after about 1000-1500 rounds. I replaced it with a Wilson Combat one and just kept chugging along. I've lost track of my round count entirely, but I'm pretty sure it's over 5000 by now.

cj
    Firearm owners have long memories. A mis-step by any manufacturer will result in many holding a...grudge?...for long periods of time. Some other examples you'll see tossed about: Bill Rugers quote, "No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun," Smith & Wesson's sellout (not completely clear on this one, but still mentioned frequently), and people judging Hi-Points based on their initial designs (they've long since redesigned them with many happy users, although some DO cite issues with the new models...but people do disparage them over their original design).

My thought is that Taurus is potentially in a similar situation...they had some issues in the past, and some will never forgive them. Then, there ARE some issues with their current lines (no idea how the percentage of failures is to other manufacturers) and the old problems are viewed as leading to the current ones.

There are some reliable Tauri and some horror stories about them. I would bet that over the past , say twenty years they have had a larger percentage of problems than the norm. When I took my second concealed license firing test, there were ten shooters. Two of them had numerous jams, instructor had to stop the firing several times to fix the probs. Both guns were Tauri. Any gun can malfunction but when my life is on the line I don't want to depend on one that has a shady history.

Could it be that people relate "Taurus" to Ford and therefore get a bad taste in their mouth?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I wouldn't exactly call myself ancient yet and I had an extra early start with guns in my life.
    However...me being old enough to remember early Taurus firearms and their phenomenal (bordering on almost unbelievable) rate of catastrophic failure - I'm admittedly probably forever jaded against Taurus firearms.
    I'm honest about my feelings and they do have very nice looking full page snazzy gun magazine ads these days.
    They also have improved their quality control in recent years though (in my opinion) it is still spottier than most.
    Years ago buying a Taurus firearm was such a total crap shoot (emphasis on the word crap) that some older shooters like myself just can't seem to separate the stink of the old Bull from the New Taurus.
    These days my feeling is that since they still have almost no desirable used or resale value - whatever you save initially buy buying one, you'll lose if you ever want to trade or sell one.
    For that reason I think that most folks are better off spending a bit more $$$ & buying a firearm that will better maintain some dollar value in a future marketplace.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

That's pretty much my reasoning too. I'm going on 42 and have been shooting since I was old enough to safely handle a gun, guess I was about 7 or 8 then. Now add to their bad history, Taurus' lack of proprietary designs (until recently, every gun they made was a knock off of someone else's design) and I'll just stick to Colt, S&W and a few other proven makers.

If you've got a good gun, by all means stick with it but they just have nothing to offer for me.
    Jack

After reading through another thread, I'm gonna reconsider...

Yes, I would buy a Taurus. I would definitely buy a "Judge".
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links