I've noticed some negative attitudes towards Taurus, why?

This is a discussion on I've noticed some negative attitudes towards Taurus, why? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Taurs PT92 9mm, its always worked great for me. Great looking gun, no malfuntion at all, shoots great. I love it. My ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I've noticed some negative attitudes towards Taurus, why?

Question I've noticed some negative attitudes towards Taurus, why?

I carry a Taurs PT92 9mm, its always worked great for me. Great looking gun, no malfuntion at all, shoots great. I love it. My dad carried it for years before it became mine and he still likes it better than his beretta 9mm's.

Where is the negativity towards Taurus coming from? i know that one good gun doesn't make them all good, i've just yet to have any bad experience with them. Oh, he also had a taurus .38 that was a great gun.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I wouldn't exactly call myself ancient yet and I had an extra early start with guns in my life.
    However...me being old enough to remember early Taurus firearms and their phenomenal (bordering on almost unbelievable) rate of catastrophic failure - I'm admittedly probably forever jaded against Taurus firearms.
    I'm honest about my feelings and they do have very nice looking full page snazzy gun magazine ads these days.
    They also have improved their quality control in recent years though (in my opinion) it is still spottier than most.
    Years ago buying a Taurus firearm was such a total crap shoot (emphasis on the word crap) that some older shooters like myself just can't seem to separate the stink of the old Bull from the New Taurus.
    These days my feeling is that since they still have almost no desirable used or resale value - whatever you save initially buy buying one, you'll lose if you ever want to trade or sell one.
    For that reason I think that most folks are better off spending a bit more $$$ & buying a firearm that will better maintain some dollar value in a future marketplace.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Huh... Well, thanks for the reply.

Sadly, frank, most older folks consider Taurus a "trash gun". You shoot it because it's cheap but you never know when it'll work right. Then you throw it away once it breaks.
    I hear they're doing a lot better now but a bad history is tough to overcome. Glad you got a good one though. :)

Like someone says on here all the time - if you pull the trigger and it goes BANG it's a good gun.
    [I]They make a desert and call it peace - Calgacus
    We're all just a bunch of Right Wing Racist Republican Homophobes - Rush L.

I'm just kinda of in shock to hear this stuff. I guess all i can say is, leave it to my old man to find quality guns.

Oh, and don't be sorry. lol I've got a great gun that i love!

Administrator

Thumbs up

I don't really want to get a Taurus slamming thread rolling just due to my personal prejudices.
    I just wanted to attempt to answer your question as honestly as possible.
    Most of the folks that went through that early Taurus era probably won't ever buy one.

Also other firearms makers have had some bad years.
    Colt being one of them that had some problems with functional reliability for some period of years.

The main problem with Taurus was the really high percentage of catastrophic failures. Catastrophic being defined as a failure that would instantly stop a firearm from functioning.
    In other words it instantly became worthless AKA non-functioning for self-defense purposes.

Also being honest the people that bought them and never had any problems with the one they bought were satisfied with their purchase.
    And that is what I meant by crap-shoot.

It seemed like you either got a good one or you got a lemon/dog of a gun that needed to go back for repair. Sometimes more than once or twice. Some people who owned one seemed satisfied to keep on sending it in for various repairs until it was finally right. Not something that many others were willing to suffer through especially for a self-defense firearm.

I've been following the "Internet Chatter" on Taurus firearms for years now - and to their credit I do not see as many major complaints as in previous years, and overall many folks these days seem much more satisfied than dissatisfied.
    That is always a good thing.

So...I'll end with...if you own a good one and it's functioning fine and you've not had any problems with it and you have developed confidence in it...then that is what is important and you got yourself a good one so be happy about that.

Thanks for all the info guys.

Got a PT99 for my partner 2 months ago. Also looked at Beretta 92FS and the new 90-2

Taurus

- Better finish in Stainless and alloy
    - Decocker \ safety
    - Safety off the slide
    - $200 cheaper than Beretta

Its accurate too, we gave it to a competition shooter last night at the range and he put 4 shots into the black at 25 yards (3 in the 9 and 1 in the 8). Never shot it before but said it was just as good if not better than his competition gun for accuracy.

bad gun gun ? I think not.

Mabey I got a good one, but to be honest I havent read any bad reviews about the new PT99.

I think alot of people get something stuck in their head based on pervious history and ignore the 100s of glowing reviews on the new and improved stuff.

S&W Sigma is another example, give me a new SW9VE over a Glock any day. It just feels better.
    Last edited by Miggy; December 5th, 2008 at 06:39 AM. Reason: creative workaround on language
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    It's the fact that they produce a large(r) number of lemons when compared to many other (mostly more expensive) manufacturers and the horror stories as told by owners of a Taurus when they call CS for warranty work after they rolled snake-eyes.

I have a Taurus PT92C and it has worked flawlessly for me. Did have a bad magazine but that's not their fault. I will be getting my mom's old Taurus 38 SPL and it's been good to her. I like the idea that they offer a lifetime warranty on their firearms that transfer with the firearm and not just with the original owner.

VIP Member
    Taurus did have troubles in 2 products: their initial revolvers (bad copies of S&W) and their first batches of PT 92.

The revos were trash, par for a latin american company that jumped into the gun frey without having a tradition in firearms or good steel work. They've come along quite nicely and yes, they are not S&W but then again I have not heard of Taurus Revos locking out after a couple of shots but we just had a thread about S&Ws doing that.

The issue with the PT 92 was also right. The slide and the cam under the barrel were cracking after 3K to 5K shots. Interestingly enough that originally was happening to the gun they "copied": The Beretta 92F. You see, the tools, metalwork for the PT92 are 100% Beretta since they installed the factory for the firsts US Military Contracts in Brazil till they were able to build their facility here in the US. But who got the bad rep? Taurus, nobody would badmouth Beretta... at least not for long.
    Taurus kept the tooling & training after Beretta left and kept producing and coming up with new products. That their guns are quite not well finished as others? Dudes I am sorry but I don't buy my gun solely on looks but in bang factor: does it put the rounds downrange where I want them? Yes. Is it reliable? yes. Is it inexpensive enough that the common folk can afford one plus ammo? Heck yes!

I shoot IDPA and I can't tell you how many high priced 1911 (Kimbers, Wilsons, etc) I have seen having malfunctions. You see the range bag of the owners and they look like traveling gunsmiths with a sale on magazines. I am yet to see a Taurus have the same amount of malfunctions, or even a fifth of the malfunctions of those high priced guns.

Somebody mentioned problems with the Mags and that was related to non OEM mags. I have a couple from other manufacturers and they suck but I have 7 Taurus mags and they run beautifully. So the author may experienced either a factory bag that went bad or that somebody had a cheap mag from a company other than Taurus. And if the author owns a 1911, he should not even complain about other guns bad mags... I mean please! Who ever heard of bad, unreliable 1911 mags, right?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

They may not have the fit/finish of other marques, but these days, the quality isn't bad at all, and they do go bang every time. Every maker has lemons from time to time, but Taurus had a high amount when they were first introduced. Not really the case now.

I hate seeing that "made in brazil" thing though.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Senior Moderator
    Beleive it or not, I'm a fan of Taurus guns. As of the last several years, their fit and finish have not only been good, but they have actually surpassed some of the others.

I've owned several and all of them have served me well. I see lots of them at the range, and they dont have any more problems than any other guns do. I've owned a Model 85 stainless for a decade and out to 50 yards, it is awesome as far as accuracy for a 2 inch barrel.

Miggy and QKShooter are right on the money. They are much better than they used to be, they have come along way.

If you are happy with it, thats all that matters. If your friends look down on you for having it, shut them up by outshooting them at the range. That will usally open their eyes on the subject.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    After personally experiencing several problems with the PT 140 I owned and eventually KB with the gun ,I will not recommend or buy Taurus .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I don't particularly like how they feel, and that trigger...OMG it sucks. I admit to having only ever fired one, but the trigger was so odd that I thought the gun was brken. Luckily I followed the rules and kept it aimed downrange. Then turned to the owner to show her that I could pull the trigger with no bang. A couple of quick pulls to show her and BANG!, quite to my surprise. No resistance all the way back and then something like 20lbs of force required (exaggerated)? No thanks. To be fair, she and her boyfriend like it, but haven't fired it enough (maybe 500 rounds) to say "reliable." I can only say that I don't like them, but a lot of people say that about keltec, and I trust MY P3AT.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links