Put a 1911 on layaway today!

This is a discussion on Put a 1911 on layaway today! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I did it. I surrendered to the 1911 bug which has been nagging at me for a couple weeks now. Put a down payment on ...

Thread: Put a 1911 on layaway today!

Put a 1911 on layaway today!

I did it. I surrendered to the 1911 bug which has been nagging at me for a couple weeks now. Put a down payment on a Taurus PT 1911, even though a Stoeger Cougar was next on my short list...
    This will also be my first .45!
    Any recommendations for a non-bank-breaking, non-custom IWB holster for it?

2. Remove Ads

I would go custom and the TT Gunleather has them at a good price.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Force View Post
    I would go custom and the TT Gunleather has them at a good price.
    Second TT Gunleather. I have an order in with them, and Tim has been a real gentleman to work with.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

Want a great holster...perfect fit to YOUR weapon?
    Want delivery in about 4 - 6 weeks?
    Want a good quality leather?
    Don't want to pay too much?
    Search out 'Related Links' above for Fist holsters.

Stay armed......stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    I did it. I surrendered to the 1911 bug which has been nagging at me for a couple weeks now. Put a down payment on a Taurus PT 1911.
    This will also be my first .45!
    Good for you! Layaway is a nice option isn't it? That's the route I went this last time on a shotgun. Which model did you get? The blued or stainless? I was very close to getting a PT1911 myself this past year, read a lot of good reviews, and even solicited reviews from this here forum. My G19 somehow cut in line on that, but it is next on my list now. I may even start looking for used ones since they've been around over a year now. Maybe one already set up with night sights and aftermarket grips. Let us know when you get it in your hands, and post the mandatory pics of course.

CONGRATS on your PT 1911. I've got 2 of them, one blue, one stainless. I'll be shooting the new Stainless one for the first time tomorrow. I've got a great all leather holster from UBG. Reasonable price, great quality & service and no 6 month wait. Give Nate at UBG a call.

Thanks, everyone. I will definitely be looking at TT, Fist and UBG. I really appreciate the tips. I picked the "B" model in blue. Is it just me, or is there a certain "feel good" feeling as the web of your hand marries with the grip safety? Almost felt like I was cheating on my girlfriend...

I can't wait to tear her down for the first time. I'll take photos at each step to refer to until I am familiar enough with the 1911's innards. Once she is shiny clean I'll post her "debut" pics.

Layaway is an awesome option. Only place around here I have found who will do it for handguns is Pawn Fathers. They are a Glock and Taurus dealer in addition to offering pawned weapons. Most organized pawn shop chain I have ever seen. Knowledgeable and helpful staff.

Before deciding on the Taurus 1911, I did alot of research, much of it right here in DC. I want to thank everyone who has shared their knowledge and experience here. Gotta stock up on a new caliber now. I'd have done it sooner, but until this afternoon, the Stoeger Cougar in .40 was still #1 on my short list. I guess it defaults to #1.

I've no clue when I'll get her to the range for break-in, but I'll post a range report when it happens.

Congrats. Looking for a holster? I am surprised no one mentioned HBE. He has some of the nicest holsters I have seen in a while, he's on the forum, and his turn-around time is incredible. In the interest of fairness, I don't own an HBE, but I have been wanting to order one for quite some time, and I most likely will order one of his com holsters in the new year. Best of luck to you on your new "grown-up toy" I too am on my first 1911, and I have to say, they sure feel good in the hand and on the hip! AGAIN, CONGRATS!
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Is it just me, or is there a certain "feel good" feeling as the web of your hand marries with the grip safety?
    Nope. Not just you. That's how it started with all of us.

Welcome to the support group; "Hi, my name is Joe. I'm a 1911 addict." Except we have no interest in helping you or ourselves get better! Just co-enabling further hoarding of JMB's masterpiece.

It starts with the gentle "clank" of that grip safety, and before you know it; you're ordering your first full house custom.

If you're really screwed up like me, you'll end up with a multiple major addiction (1911s and CZs in my case) and you'll still be compelled to buy all sorts of unrelated guns just 'cuz they're cool (P6s, P7-PSPs, etc).

Thank God I've escaped the call of the wheelgun. So far.

Buckle up son, you're in for a hell of a ride!

Joe

VIP Member
    Congrats on your 1911, I have a PT1911. Good shooter, I've changed out the plastic grips for smooth wood, and I didn't like the Heine straight 8 sights, so had them changed as well. She's not my carry gun, have a SIG 1911 RCS for that, but would if I needed to.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Congrats on your newest member of the family!! I got a PT 1911 about this time last year. Great shooter straight out of the box!! I just ordered a Rafter L AHG holster from Combat Gun Leather about a week or so ago, supposed to be here in about 4 weeks or so. Check out Erik's webite:

combatgunleather.com

Hope this helps.

Eric
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

I checked out Rafter L, and it looks like good quality work, but I didn't see any IWB holsters.

Links