New M-1911 Suggestion?

This is a discussion on New M-1911 Suggestion? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Am thinking of buying a new .45 M-1911 for CCW and car carry. I don't need a fancy tricked-out gun, just a reliable G.I. equivalent ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New M-1911 Suggestion?

New M-1911 Suggestion?

Am thinking of buying a new .45 M-1911 for CCW and car carry. I don't need a fancy tricked-out gun, just a reliable G.I. equivalent that fires hardball every time, right out of the box. Loose tolerances and mediocre accuracy are O.K. Matte or parkerized finish is fine. Price is a factor, and would like to stay around $600.

What brand/model do you recommend?

gold40

2. Remove Ads

OD*
    There's only one company making an M1911, and they are a little more than $600.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Have you looked at the Taurus PT1911's? More pros than cons from what I've heard, and in my book, it the best "affordable" 1911 model currently on the market. I'll be getting one of my own if things work out. I did give the RIA's a look before that. Good luck with it.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I'm partial to Springfield Armory myself. I've owned both the parkerized and stainless GI models, and the Mil-Spec models. All functioned well using 230 gr. ball, and they were a little picky on the JHP, but didn't seem to mind the Federal Hydrashocks or WWB Personal Protection rounds. IMO Springfield makes good quality 1911 pistols at very reasonable prices, but finding a Loaded model has been difficult for me.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I've a Springfield MILSPEC and am very content with it.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Try the Springfield Armory's out. I carried a GI 1911 for quite a while before I moved to the XD. Personally I've fired both Remington and Winchester HP's through mine without any problems.

Good luck.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    The best bang-to-buck ratio I've seen so far is the SigSauer GSRs/1911s. You get the most popular match-grade goodies (including night sights) and absolutely zero MIM parts for under a grand at most places.

Yes, you wanted to stay under $600 and, yes, you were asking for a basic GI-type (that I think RIA does just as well as a Springer with the best CS in the business and -$250 to $300 price tag) but you need to realize that you will much more likely than not eventually get to thinking about better sights...and maybe some checkering...and a nice beavertail safety would be nice...and end up spending well over twice the difference to get the high-speed/low-drag stuff that the Sig 1911 gets you on the cheap in the first place.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    SA Mil Spec. Carried mine for years before swapping for a SA Champion. Now pack a Browning HP due to ammo costs. My 1991 era Mil Spec is now my bedside weapon. Thing has NEVER had a malfunction and eats any ammo, including SWC's. Always keep it oiled up with(MILTEC-1). The best semi auto I have ever owned and it's in your price range. Added a Ed Brown safety, Wilson drop in beavertail safety, Wilson hammer and trigger over the years. Does everything the high dollar guns do without forking out the big bucks. JMO.

Last edited by Sportsterguy; December 7th, 2008 at 09:40 AM. Reason: added ammo
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like either the RIA or Springfield will meet my expectattions. What should I expect for either one?

Does anyone have have FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with either of these 1911's purchased in the past year or two? I'm most cncerned about reliability with hardball ammo...

REGARDS,
    gold40

Quote Originally Posted by gold40 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

Sounds like either the RIA or Springfield will meet my expectattions. What should I expect for either one?

Does anyone have have FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with either of these 1911's purchased in the past year or two? I'm most cncerned about reliability with hardball ammo...
    I've had the Springfield Mil-Spec for almost a year and have never had a FTF or FTE with it after ~400 rounds. I've only used hardball.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

CDH
    Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    There's only one company making an M1911, and they are a little more than $600.
    +1
    And they are only a "little" more than $600.
    If a person has $600 to spend, then waiting only the short period of time it would take to get the real thing shouldn't be a big problem.

I bought the Colt Lightweight XSE for CCW carry, but found that I actually prefer carrying my "plain old" Colt Stainless Commander better. I don't have a problem with the extra weight.
    At about $850, the Commander still doesn't break the bank. And the good thing is that you get a dependable "no tricks" CCW pistol that will be worth more than any of the others as time goes on.

Colt 1991 Commander 4 1/4" .45 ACP Stainless for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $854.00

Although I don't carry them, my two Taurus PT 1911's are great guns and a bargain with all the extra features that are standard. Even more so now with their current $75 rebate promotion. You can get one for under $600 easy.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by CDH View Post
    +1
    And they are only a "little" more than $600.
    If a person has $600 to spend, then waiting only the short period of time it would take to get the real thing shouldn't be a big problem.

I bought the Colt Lightweight XSE for CCW carry, but found that I actually prefer carrying my "plain old" Colt Stainless Commander better. I don't have a problem with the extra weight.
    At about $850, the Commander still doesn't break the bank. And the good thing is that you get a dependable "no tricks" CCW pistol that will be worth more than any of the others as time goes on.

Colt 1991 Commander 4 1/4" .45 ACP Stainless for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $854.00
    It appears as though he is looking for a "1911 style" pistol and not actually an M1911.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by gold40 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

REGARDS,
    gold40

I have a Springfield 5" GI and GI Micro Compact, and I really like both of them, no issues at all with the 5"er. The Micro Compact had a few jams at first, but after about 100rds has worked flawlessly since. I would reccommend either.

I gave just under $500 for the 5" about 3yrs(I think???) ago and about $525 2yrs ago for the Micro Compact.

I will say those Taurus' look good for the price, and reviews have been good too.

Springfield milspec.
    Lifetime warrenty
    كافر

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links