Question about the relative size of Glocks

This is a discussion on Question about the relative size of Glocks within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was talking to a good friend of mine recently and asked what she would carry if she were allowed to do so (California...) She ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about the relative size of Glocks

Question about the relative size of Glocks

I was talking to a good friend of mine recently and asked what she would carry if she were allowed to do so (California...) She said that she wanted a Glock 17. I commented that I thought that is a bit large to conceal and, of course, she disagreed. She used to shoot the 17 regularly at the range (probably a better shot than I am) so she knows it pretty well. On the other hand, I have never held a 17 myself, but I have the 26 and think it is just the right size. Any larger and it would start getting annoying to hide.

I was wondering though, how big is the 17 in comparison to the 26? I don't mean measurements, but just feel wise. Does anyone carry one regularly that could comment on how comfortable/convenient it is for someone with an average build? It was kind of funny that she picked the full size and I'm sitting here with the little dinky version. My manliness was embarrassed.

2. Remove Ads

I do not carry either the Glock 17 or 26, however, the 17 feels larger than the 26 but much more comfortable and balanced. In the end, "how things feel" is based soley on the eye of the beholder.

Your manliness was embarrassed? Don't sweat it! Carrying your "little dinky" 26 is better than leaving a full-size 17 sitting at home. Both shoot the same round. Talking about rounds, the only reason your manliness should have been embarrassed is because you are carrying a 9mm, not something more manly like a .45!!! I jest! I myself carry 9mm...

Mo
    The Glock 19 would seem to be the obvious suggestion. The G17 is much larger than the G26. You could carry it easily in a purse or bag though.

Since she cannot legally carry she probally does not have a holster and tried to carry before.... She obviously likes and shoots the G27 well and that is why she would currently prefer to carry it. However, I bet once she does start carrying a full size pistol she will reconsider. She doesn't know what she doesn't know "yet" JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Sporty79 View Post
    Since she cannot legally carry she probally does not have a holster and tried to carry before.... She obviously likes and shoots the G27 well and that is why she would currently prefer to carry it. However, I bet once she does start carrying a full size pistol she will reconsider. She doesn't know what she doesn't know "yet" JMO
    Thats kind of what I tried to tell her. Just wanted to hear others tell me I was right. You know how arguments with the women folk are... :P

I've carried a G17 and a G26. Either can be carried in the appropriate holster.

I am 5'8" and 150.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34...glockSizes.gif
    Let me know if this works.

I can't take credit for it, way over my head. A guy at http://theshootingbench.yuku.com/topic/401 made it.
    Check out http://www.southwestshootingauthority.com/index.html good guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Sporty79 View Post
    I think you meant G17 instead of G27, the Glock 27 is the smallest sized .40S&W, same frame as the G26. Other than that, I agree with your post. A point to consider though, the recoil will be more on the smaller Glocks, so a larger framed one might be better for her to shoot. As said earlier, it's a personal thing, what she likes and shoots well is best for her.

+1 on the G19 Mo

The best advice I could give you for her, is to tell her to.........move!
    And get her concealed permit in a friendlier 'red' state!

The G17 is the largest of the 9mm Glocks. I can be concealed effectively. I've never carried mine IWB, but I probably could if I wanted to. The G19 is the best balance IMO for IWB carry, and the baby Glocks such as my G27 are truly deep conceals. After being used to carrying both the G19 and G27 this past summer, my G17 or G22 feel overly large and long until I get used to them again. The larger frame Glocks get OWB carry for me. 6'1" and 200lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Superheat View Post
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34...glockSizes.gif
    Let me know if this works.

I can't take credit for it, way over my head. A guy at http://theshootingbench.yuku.com/topic/401 made it.
    Check out Southwest Shooting Authority -Guns, ammo, firearms training. Farmington, NM good guys.
    Thats actually a really neat idea there. Would be better if you could pick the exact ones to cycle through, but cant have everything. Thanks.

What you choose to carry and are able to carry is a very individual thing. No one else can make that decision for you.
    Pick a gun...any gun...one person can carry it...another cannot...who knows why? The correct holster and belt can make a BIG difference.

Stay armed...with a weapon YOU like...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    I just strapped on a Glock 32C in a Galco Skyops holster. It is a lot lighter than I thought it would be and darn comfortable.

Relative size: Going from G26 to G17 there just over an inch in length and 1 1/4" in height. They are the same width.

I routinely carry a G22 (and a G27), and truly, there is not a lot more to hide with the full sized gun. I do IWB at 5 o'clock or belly band at 1 o'clock with no worries.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    I agree with the G19 as the best of all worlds.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

me
    My father has a 27 (same size as your 26) and I have a full size M&P 40 (about the same size as the 17/22).

Either can be easily concealed with a good holster and the appropriate desire to do so. I have a LEO friend who carries his issued G22 (same as the 17) as his off-duty gun, he is smaller than I and has no problems concealing it in jeans and a T-shirt.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links