GI Champ...thoughts and observations - Page 3

GI Champ...thoughts and observations

This is a discussion on GI Champ...thoughts and observations within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yeah but what Model washer Chris...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Yeah but what Model washer Chris

Assistant Administrator
    Probably a Kenwood Bud

But I know you can tell me - oh oracle
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

it looks just from that pic there like a Maytag or Whirlpool not enough of the Dials to be 100% sure.

Probley a Whirlpool With the quietpack II label

It's a Maytag...

I can't remember exactly how long I had it before the finish started doing that, but it was inside a year. I've heard of one or two others that have had the same thing happen, although I'm not sure to what degree. It has seen a lot of carry and a goodly number of draws, but it should definitely hold up better than that.

IMO, an aluminum frame is probably not the best surface for a bake on finish. I'd much rather see a finish like the one that's on the Beretta.
    Guns don't kill people; People with mustaches kill people.

"Guns don't kill people; People with mustaches kill people."

HEY, I resemble that remark!
    Seriously, that's some pretty severe finish problems. Reminds me of the trouble GM was having with their paint jobs peeling a few years back. You're much calmer than I would be.
    Jack

Well, there's kind of a story behind that. I can see why one would wonder.

First off, it doesn't effect the function of the pistol. Second, it stays concealed, so its ugliness is less of a factor than it otherwise might be. Finally, the first 1911 I ever got was a micro compact. It made several trips back to the factory. They finally replaced it with this model. (sidebar: SA has the best customer service of any company I've ever dealt with, guns or otherwise) So when I got a pistol that has functioned flawlessly to date (2000+ rounds), the finish became less important. Besides, only having the one 1911, I wasn't willing to send it back and be without a carry piece.

p.s. Mark, if I recall correctly, at SA did a sweet trigger job on it before shipping it out to me (free of additional charge). It's every bit as crisp and consistent as any high end custom I have dry-fired. He also swapped the ambi-safety out for a regular extended safety.

OD*
    Forstr,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (or beer holder if you're at a bar ). I'll take function-reliability over looks every-time.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Good looking pistols tex im sure i asked before but where did you get the Grips?
    P95 & Bud,
    The grips on the parkerized Champion are some Hogue Palm Swell Panels I picked up at the last gunshow I went to in Pasadena TX. I think they were $12.00. They went with the gun when I sold it to my best friend for CCW. I also had a pair of generic wraparounds that were checkered that he liked as well and I threw them in with the sale.

The grips on the Stainless Champion were a generic pair that I picked up in a gunshop in Victoria, TX. They were just laying there in the case, no box and no information on them as to who the manufacturer is either. They owner of the store said he got them in a auction bid package with all kinds of other junk and he decided to keep them. I personally am glad he did. I Paid $10.00 for them. They came without medallions but had holes for them. I was wishing that Springfield made some grip medallions like Wilson, Colt & Para Ordnance that could be inserted but none to my knowledge. I was walking through a clothing store with my wife and found two stainless steel buttons made to be sewn on through a tang on the backside, similar to those for buttoning up a thick coat. They were the perfect size to fit the recesses in the grip. The design on the front was pretty cool looking so I bought them for .50cents went home and installed them using a 1/2" long piece of stainless 1/32" dia. rod to hold them tight from the back. I grooved the back of the grip panel to keep the rod from rotating or coming out. I really like the uncheckered, textured surface and the way it wraps around the front strap. I wish I had two more pair to put on my Wilson's. They are super comfortable and really work well under fast shooting drills to keep the gun securely in my hand. I like the black contrast to the brushed stainless. Here is a better view of the grips.
    Attached Images
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Assistant Administrator
    Tex - yes that pic really does show them very nicely.

They look to me, for my sorta taste - the ultimate in good function plus, to my eye they look just great. If there was something on the market, exactly like those - I am sure they'd sell like hot cakes.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Chris,

I agree with you. I have seen many rubber wraparound grips from Hogue, Colt, Pachmeyer and so on. But I have yet to find them like the texture on these. I actually prefer the feel of the rubber on the front strap instead of the 30LPI checkering on my Wilsons. If Hogue made the wraparounds without the fingergroves, just the pebble texture would also be a viable option.

I was once given a pair of the Colt checkered rubber wraparound's that I tried and kinds liked. When trying to remove the Colt emblems pretty much wrecked the grips though. Just could not have the Colt logo on a Springer!!! Just my personal preferences. Glad they were free!!!

Oh...I like the way you updated your avitar.

Mike
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

I'm also contemplating a test of sorts: To shoot the GI, without cleaning it, until experiencing a malfunction. This would likely be a rather long term test, as my shooting habits are somewhat erratic (not by choice, I assure you). Here are some guidlines. Chime in at will, with any suggestions. I'll probably start a new thread when I get it all figured out.

1. I will keep a log of all rounds fired, and types of ammo
    2. During this same time, I will be function-testing various HP ammo (I will try to do this before many rounds of ball get fired, so as to eliminate the crud factor as cause for unreliable cycling).
    2.a. Malfunctions with HP ammo will not be counted before I evaluate and pick a HP carry round. After that time, my carry ammo will be fair game in the test.
    3. I will not strip the pistol to clean during this time. I will only apply a few drops of oil here and there (barrel, hammer/sear, disconnector, slide stop, link).

Any other ideas?

OD*
    Forstr,

I went 2000 rounds of mixed loads in my GI (230gr. LRN over 6.0gr. Universal and assorted factory), before I got tried of carrying a dirty weapon.

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Lead Moderator
    Forstr, thats 1 nasty finish on the compact. Hope mine doesn't peel like that.

OD, sounds like you beat me to it...I'll probably still do it though.

Rocky, I hope so too...do you carry yours all the time? If so, then I'd say mine is an anomoly. Not sure what else it could be: I've never used anything but hoppe's, rem oil, or CLP.

OD*
    Forstr,

I would sir, mine was the Government, it would be interesting to see how your Champ does.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links