Defensive Carry banner

GI Champ...thoughts and observations

5K views 54 replies 13 participants last post by  Forstr 
#1 ·
Haven't shot it yet, but will this weekend.

1. Price: $429
2. Fit and finish: Excellent...very tight for a "mil spec" pistol. I know, I know...what mil-spec pistol has a ramped bull barrel...
3. Trigger: Slight take up, maybe a little heavy for target shooting, but certainly in a nice range for carry...clean break too

My other 1911 is a lwt compact; obviously very different. I find that I really like the feel of the arched mainspring and full length grip, even though I have pretty small hands. We'll see if this changes after a few hundred rounds.

I do plan on having a few things done to the piece: This is where it gets fun, or anxious, depending on how you look at it. I want to retain the classic look, but want some understated features to enhance shooting and carry.

1. As this will be a carry gun, the one thing I'm sure of is a bobbed grip. I've held a few Kobra carry pistols and the conversion sorta feels like an arched MS to me...plus, I think I'll need the added concealability.

2. Another sure thing will be some dehorning, since it will need refinishing anyway...this thing is real sharp...mainly to save some wear on my Brommeland holsters.

3. Depending on how bad it bites, I may bob the hammer too.

4. Sights...these are small of course. If I change 'em, I'll do the Mil-spec sights, or possibly the YB retro's...somethign that won't require machining the rear.

5. Possibly an unobtrusive extended thumb safety...we'll see.

I like the grips, and I'll modify them for the bobtail, but grips are like clothes...sometimes you gotta change 'em. Where I'm torn is on the finish. I love the parked look, but I also love the polished blue/ivory grip look. I'll have to decide on that before anything happens.

Anybody who has done any of these mods, please feel free to post your experiences and pics. I am determined to do it right the first time.

See less See more
#4 ·
If you have a LW already, why chop the GI? sounds like alot of expense and work, but heck , whatever makes ya happy.

#5 ·
Forstr,

Sounds like fun to me. :hand10:

Do you have, or have you tried the Yo-Bo retro sights?
I've installed them on three of my 1911s (just the rears) and they have become my favorite fixed sight for the 1911.

#8 ·
I went with SLIM grips and a Flat MSH , makes it feel like a totally
different gun.

I will probably install higher profile fixed sights later on.

#9 ·
Hey AKsrule, where'd you get your flat mainspring housing and the grips? I want to replace the MSH on my SA Mil-Spec to a flat checkered one and I too want to go with some "slim" grips to improve the feel.

I also REALLY like to get the front strap checkered but that'll mean a new finish and I'm trying to figure out who to have that done with. And if I have to have a new finish, I'm trying to think of any other mods that I should do right now before a finish.

I'm just tyring to make my Milspec look a little better and function just a bit better.

has anyone had work done by the SA custom shop? Are their prices reasonable?

Good luck on your GI project. I love how they look but if I ever get one it'll be just to have it look just like that, a GI.

God Bless
Gideon

#11 ·
Flat Mainspring Housing

I have been "sold" on the flat mainspring housings for a long time now. Many years.
All of my 1911 pistols past, present, & future get the Flat MSH treatment.
That's the very first modification that I make.
It is a personal preference thing.

#13 ·
Thanks OD for the links! Good prices on those slim grips. I have the arched housing but want to try the flat as I have small hands and I'm trying to improve the grip.

I'd really like to get my front strap checkered but can't find anyone local to do it and it's not cheap.

I'm also not sure wether to go with 30 LPI or 20, or 25LPI. I know the price sure goes up when you get to 30 and there's a big difference between hand and machine checkered.

Anyone have a preference on how many lines per inch they like on the front strap?

Thanks

Gideon

#15 ·
maclean3 posted; "Hey, I just slap some skateboard tape on the front strap - good texture and dirt cheap."

I was curious maclean; how long does it stay on and does it make a mess of the weapon after a while? it does seem that it would work but the idea of putting tape on my gun...well, just seems down right wicket? :image035:

Gideon

#16 ·
Gideon said:
has anyone had work done by the SA custom shop? Are their prices reasonable?

http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-pstl-cust.shtml

Download the custom services worksheet from this link for SA Custom shop pricing.

I sent the wife's Black Stainless 1911 in to SA for warranty work. When the warranty work was completed I had the Custom Shop do a sweet trigger job 4.5ibs. , install G.I. guide rod, and replace the ILS MS housing with a flat checkered at 20 lpi. The bill was $185 parts and labor, I think very reasonable.

The guide rod and MS housing, installed, were cheaper then I could purchase quality parts to install myself. Most of the trigger group was replaced for the trigger work.

#19 ·
Sorry for the late reply, but I was hunting all weekend. To the question about chopping the frame...I was just thinking of a bobtail conversion really...not the whole grip. As it will be a carry gun, I'd like to minimize printing. I really like the feel of the bobtail, but I really like the feel of the arched MS too. To the question about the Yo-Bo sights...I've never used them, but the reason for wanting them is two-fold: 1. I like the way they look. There more, well, retro. 2. As far as I know, they use the same dovetail cut that the original sight uses, thus reducing costs and keeping the classic look.

I did get to shoot it, but all I had on hand was about 30 rounds...believe it or not, there wasn't a Wal-Mart anywhere close to where I was. There were, of course, no failures. I love this pistol and can't wait to put a couple hundred through it soon. I cleaned it good and lubed it before shooting, but will probable just keep a few drops in the right places, and wait to clean until I put a few hundred through it. I figure that's the best way to break it in and smooth it up.

I haven't decided yet whether ot not a like the grips. I love the parked finish. I think that's one thing I've decided for sure...I like a polished blue, but the parked finish will better serve my purpose I think.

Can I get the YB sights without the white dots? I just want the dot on the front sight.

I'll post some pics as soon as possible.

#21 ·
I guess I didn't look at the pics close enough...I definitely like those sights. Has anybody swaped one of the staked-in front sights? Is there a special tool for that? I'd just as soon purchase a rear sight tool and do them myself, but I'm not sure how the front sight would be done. Thoughts?

OD, those are some good looking pistols. I'll try to post some pics of my stuff soon.

As soon as I can run a few hundred rounds through the GI, my lwt will be making a trip to Geneseo for the frame to be refinished (you'll see why when I post a pic of it).

#22 ·
Is there a special tool for that?
Yep, to do it right, you will need a sight staking tool, you can find them at Brownells.

OD, those are some good looking pistols. I'll try to post some pics of my stuff soon.
Thank you sir, they're just plain vanilla carry pieces. :wink:
I'd like to see yours too.

#23 ·
Springfield Champions!!!

When Springfield came out with this model...they truly named it correctly. I really like my Champion. I am on my second.

My first started life as a GI WWII Parkerized Champion with a bushingless barrel, and after I found out just how accurate and reliable it was, I decided to modify it to my liking. I then bought a Stainless model that has a barrel with bushing and have started mods on it as well. Here they both are:

#25 ·
Springfield Champions!!!!

P95Carry,

I usually use what is in the UserCP/Attachments but I did not have the newest one there. So I had saved it to get to the attachments and now they are there.........Sorry!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.