Sights Question

Sights Question

This is a discussion on Sights Question within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering how much accuracy is lost in an autoloader due to the barrel fit to the frame. Certainly this accounts to some percentage ...

Thread: Sights Question

Sights Question

I was wondering how much accuracy is lost in an autoloader due to the barrel fit to the frame. Certainly this accounts to some percentage of the overall accuracy of the gun. I bring this up because on an autoloader neither the front or the rear sight is actually attached to the barrel, as it would be for a revolver.

Would there be any noticable accuracy advantage(or is there already a gun out there) to have the front sight connected to the barrel? It could reside in a front notch of the frame and the gun could cycle as normal. It, however, would not be adjustable or trijicon(sp?) etc.

Just daydreaming at work and came up with this thought.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    With the Ruger MKx .22 pistols, the sights are actually attached to the barrel, I believe.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

VIP Member
    Barrel to slide distance is factored in by gun manufacturers when designing the gun. If POI does not match POA you might need to change grip (hold on gun) or in rare instances sights themselves.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The rear sight is typically not on the barrel of a revolver either.

On the semi-autos, as long as the barrel and slide lock consistantly together, I don't see accuracy being improved by moving the location of the sights.

Randy

I am not having problems, my Sig is a tack driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    as long as the barrel and slide lock consistantly together, I don't see accuracy being improved by moving the location of the sights.
    This is the assumption that I was working on is that it might not return back to the exact same position every time due to many factors(wear, dirt, shooter, etc.) and that this could cause accuracy to diminish a bit.

Even though the revolver might not have its rear sight attatched to the barrel, the barrel to frame is solid, there is no slide(sight) movement and barrel movement and tilting as there would be in an autoloader.
    Speak softly, and carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    I was wondering how much accuracy is lost in an autoloader due to the barrel fit to the frame. Certainly this accounts to some percentage of the overall accuracy of the gun. I bring this up because on an autoloader neither the front or the rear sight is actually attached to the barrel, as it would be for a revolver.

Would there be any noticable accuracy advantage(or is there already a gun out there) to have the front sight connected to the barrel? It could reside in a front notch of the frame and the gun could cycle as normal. It, however, would not be adjustable or trijicon(sp?) etc.

Just daydreaming at work and came up with this thought.
    You would never be able to tell the difference as it would be so minute and you would never be able to hold the gun still enough to notice.

That being said, SVI makes a 2011 style gun with the sight attached to the barrel called a sight tracker. This is more of a competition custom accesory and was designed more to be able to make site aquisition faster even while the slide is cycling.

As above, it would only be an "advantage" in a low-neutral recoil-impulse pistol, and preferrably on without a cam-lock system (ie, the Ruger MkII series.) Glock, Sig, H&K, S&W and Springfield (just off the top mf omy head) all have more inherent accuracy than any average shooter is able to appreciate (barring the occasional factory-fluke.)

As above, it would only be an "advantage" in a low-neutral recoil-impulse pistol, and preferrably on without a cam-lock system (ie, the Ruger MkII series.) Glock, Sig, H&K, S&W and Springfield (just off the top of my head) all have more inherent accuracy than any average shooter is able to appreciate (barring the occasional factory-fluke.)

Links