FTF issue with Bersa .380cc?

This is a discussion on FTF issue with Bersa .380cc? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently picked up a Bersa Thunder .380cc at the gun show this weekend and am way excited to start carrying this daily. I noticed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTF issue with Bersa .380cc?

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar

FTF issue with Bersa .380cc?

I recently picked up a Bersa Thunder .380cc at the gun show this weekend and am way excited to start carrying this daily. I noticed something troubling earlier...when I try to close the slide to load the barrel, the round seems to get stuck and won't position itself inside the barrel completely. I then have to eject the mag, point the barrel at the ground and pull the slide back again. After this, the round seats properly and dandy. I haven't taken it to the range yet, so i don't know if this problem exists between each shot or not.

Have any other Bersa owners dealt with the same problem? Any quick fixes?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    The Bersa .380 is a fine gun. Make sure it's clean and oiled properly. I'd try to use FMJ ammo, first.

Also, try just "slingshotting" the slide (from locked back, pull slightly and let go) , instead of using the slide release. These guns are notorious for the slide catch to wear. It's warrantable, but avoidable.

I'm sure your gun is just fine. If and when it sticks open, just give it a little bump on the back of the slide, it should go into battery.

A fine place for good info, :: Bersa Talk :: There's a Bersa Warranty Gunsmith that frequents it, if your problem doesn't go away, but I would put money on the gun, it'll work itself out.

One more very important point.. Make sure the recoil spring is on correctly. When it's on, it should be tight on the barrel. There's only one right way to get it on. Your instructions should mention that.

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79 View Post
    The Bersa .380 is a fine gun. Make sure it's clean and oiled properly. I'd try to use FMJ ammo, first.

Also, try just "slingshotting" the slide (from locked back, pull slightly and let go) , instead of using the slide release. These guns are notorious for the slide catch to wear. It's warrantable, but avoidable.

I'm sure your gun is just fine. If and when it sticks open, just give it a little bump on the back of the slide, it should go into battery.

A fine place for good info, :: Bersa Talk :: There's a Bersa Warranty Gunsmith that frequents it, if your problem doesn't go away, but I would put money on the gun, it'll work itself out.

One more very important point.. Make sure the recoil spring is on correctly. When it's on, it should be tight on the barrel. There's only one right way to get it on. Your instructions should mention that.

Nate

there's no issue with the slide not going into battery. When it does, it seems like the round is being pushed into the barrel at an odd angle and not feeding that way. I've attached a picture. sorry for the crappy quality, can't find my digital camera.
    Attached Images
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

The only thing that I can think of is that they forgot to bevel the barrel? Mine has a nice little "lip" that has been recessed into the barrel and came polished from the factory.

Either that, or your mag spring is too spongy. As they only come with one mag, kind of hard to try others out.

Are those hollow points? It may not like hollow point ammo. But do like he said about slingshotting it. Or make sure the feed ramp is nice and clean that could be an issue. If not buy a new mag for it and check it out see if they are the same on the top. Maybe its a mag issue?
    Protection is a responsibility not just a right.

http://bersatalk.com/default.aspx

Broken in yet ? Read above for lots of info.

If it's brand new, I would give it a few more rounds to break it in. Some more rounds through it will help smooth out the feed ramp and loosen everything up a bit. I have 2 Bersas, and I can't remember if Bersa recommends a break-in period, but whether recommended by the manufacturer or not, all guns need time to adjust. The only problems we have ever had with either Bersa was due to limpwristing, but if this is caused without firing, then I guess limpwristing is out. Bersatalk, was already recommended to you, and i highly suggest going there. There are loads of info, and a lot of very friendly fellow Bersa owners.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Looks like the cartridge base may be hanging up on the extractor. If its a new gun, you may want to have the dealer look at it before you try to shoot it.

i was told it was brand new from the dealer i bought it from. the ammo i'm using is Fiocchi 95gr FMJ. I've never heard of this brand before, so i'm not sure if poor ammo is what is causing it. It seems as though the slide is catching the cartridge in the middle instead of behind it and thus is pushing the "nose" up to the top of the barrel. I'm guessing the spring isn't applying enough force?

I'm planning on shooting a bit this weekend, hopefully that clears it up. i don't think it's an issue where there not being a beveled edge on the receiver. i see one. I'm guessing I just need to get another mag and see if it is indeed a spring issue.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Administrator
    New gun.
    The extractor is probably a bit tighter than it needs to be.

Try a different brand of ammo first.
    Sometimes very slight differences in cartridge case configuration and overall length/bullet nose profile can make all the difference.

Do you have more than one magazine?
    If the same thing happens with 2 or 3 magazines you can probably eliminate the mags as the cause of the problem.
    If you only have one magazine - then it could be a weak magazine spring or bad magazine feed lips.

Other possible issues.....
    > a rough breech face
    > a rough chamber
    > needs the ramp polished and the barrel throated

Usually on most spanky new semi-autos point the finger at the extractor.
    It's usually a minor inexpensive fix.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

great, thanks for the tips QKShooter. I've already ordered another mag from Bersa. If it works, awesome! If not, I'll try to use another ammo.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

If it's the extractor, that is an easy fix for a gunsmith. If you have to send it off for a warranty repair - use Colorado Gun Works - see Bersa Talk for the address and packing instructions.

Fiocchi 95gr FMJ. is what I broke mine in with
    and it was fine.
    I did notice the extractor spring was tight the
    first time I shot it . I also cleaned the gun
    good before I shot it and that may help you
    as well.
    It sounds like a magazine problem to me.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

My Walther PPKs does the same thing with some kinds of HP ammo.

Like others have said. 500 rounds of hard ball should fix the problem, but some types of HP ammo will never chamber.

Got it. I cleaned it the day I got it. I was actually thinking I may stop by the range for a bit tonight on my way home. There's one close to my house that also has a gunsmith on site, hopefully this will get resolved so I can use it for more than a club!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links