1911's - Page 2

1911's

This is a discussion on 1911's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I must admit I have been thinking about an 1911 just to see what the excitement is all about. OK, if you could only have ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911's

I must admit I have been thinking about an 1911 just to see what the excitement is all about. OK, if you could only have one 1911, and you weren't on a budget, but didn't want to over-pay needlessly, and you intended to shoot the thing and not just leave it in the safe, what would be on top of your list?
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

Distinguished Member
    Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    What's the best? Might as well ask which religion is the best .

For me, anything breaking into the Semi-Custom line (Wilson Combat, Ed Brown, Les Bayer, etal). But those are quite pricey. A bit over two grand each to start. I've got a W/C CQB, it is my everyday carry.

Other end of the spectrum, you've got the Charles Daly's and the RIA's. Many of us "gun snobs" (self admitted) would tell you that they cut corners to cut costs (because they do. Check QKShooter's post for one example). Problem with this is, they work! Lot's of happy owners of these pistols, and talk of reliability and how they seem to hold up. On some, lots of features for little money.

Then, there is the in between. Kimber, once heralded as a top notch brand, falling victim of their own success when reportedly QC suffered to volume, they still offer a good product for the most part. I've got one. A Desert Warrior, it does night stand duty. Functions fine, and has a feel of quality about it.

Springfield Armory. Yes the big parts are forged in Brazil on many. Finished in the US, they make a very nice range of pistols from the basic GI Model right up through the "Semi-Custom" Professional, the FBI model, with lots of choices in between. Their lifetime warranty is phenomenal. I've got two of the "Loaded" models (middle of the pack). They've been great overall (the full size is my car gun).

The "newcomers". Lots of manufacturers have jumped into the 1911 fray in the past decade or so. Major manufacturers. Smith & Wesson. Sig Sauer. Dan Wesson. These three all reportedly make a very good product (no personal experience here).

Colt, the "old guard". The original. For a long time, they were the only game in town (wartime excluded, where lot's of companies, even Singer Sewing machine made 1911's to government specs). Some recent models have had their troubles. As did some in the past. But as a rule, when one thinks of "the .45", ones thoughts often go first to Colt.

The 1980's Combat Commander I sold is the one I regret selling most over the years (and I've sold off quite a few guns). My vintage Series 70 Mark IV is one I bought last year to send to a 'smith for a full custom. Probably still will, but the thing is so sweet, feels and shoots so good, it's almost a shame to do it!

Rocky, welcome to the world of the 1911. You've entered into it in a major way! As to which is best? Depends on who you ask. I suspect in a short time, you'll know which is best. For you.
    Last edited by T Bone; December 9th, 2008 at 01:58 PM.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by drs1457 View Post
    I must admit I have been thinking about an 1911 just to see what the excitement is all about. OK, if you could only have one 1911, and you weren't on a budget, but didn't want to over-pay needlessly, and you intended to shoot the thing and not just leave it in the safe, what would be on top of your list?
    CQB.

JMO/YMMV.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

I own a Kimber Custom CDP II (first 1911 I ever owned), a RIA Tactical, a Kimber CDP Pro (pre II, hehe), and a Kimber Pro Carry II HD. See a pattern here? All have shot very well for me, definitely get more quality in the Kimbers than the RIAs/Taurus/Charles Daly stuff, but you should. Of the ones I have, the Pro CDP shoots the best, hands down, then the CDP Custom II, then it gets murky.

You will read, correctly, that Kimber has had manufacturing issues since their initial offerings. When things got busy, they got big fast and apparently threw the baby out with the bathwater for a while there. Fortunately, none of mine would be included in this troubled group, and have all fired well.

If I could have any 1911 that I don't already own? Easy, I'd want a Kobra Carry from Ed Brown. Beautiful gun! If we're talking about ANY gun, I'd love to get AZHusker to give me his custom bobbed Kimber...

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Many Thanks TBone,

To find the ultimate 1911 sounds like a lifetime journey. I started allready and I don't think I will be looking back anytime soon.

Thanks again,

Rocky

Thanks slabsides45, Thanks for the honest opinion. That is exactly what I am looking for.

P.S.
    I don't think God himself would have a chance on getting one of Tracys Kimber's.

I am beginning my 1911 journey with a Taurus PT 1911.

OD*
    Pure Kustom, you can find a number of Les Baer pistols for under 2K. In the Colt line, the 1991 Government Model (with the Series 80 firing pin safety) is an excellent pistol for the money, quality has been tightened up considerably since Colt started using CNC equipment to machine the receivers. The Series 70 reproduction pistol are quite nice too, but are a bit pricier than the basic 1991 Government Model. Much depends if you want a back to basics pistol or one with a number of bells & whistles.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

colts and Kimbers

I have both. A colt Defender that works flawlessly and is my carry gun. The Kimber is a Custom Target ll and it also has performed flawlessly. I gave my old Colt Combat Commander to my son who will never part with it. The other son is a cop and he has one of my Series 70 Colt 45s. You can't go wrong with a 1911!
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
    illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream
    media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible
    to pick up a turd by the clean end."

I love all my 1911's. Here's a vote for the Ed Brown. I also love my Para Hawg and even have one of the Kimber Ultra's. I love them all, and find that the Kimber is a little different to work on than any of them.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Enjoy the ride remmod597.

Thanks OD, I wouldn't mind getting a newer Colt, But I do like the bells and whistles. I just can't see paying 800 to 1000. for an old scratched Colt that you always see at the Gun shows. No offence to anybody that is into that. My friend has a unfired, 70 series , I would be interested in. But he's not selling.

Thanks 3delta, Welcome to the board.

Hmm... my old (not so scratched) Colt came home for around $600 after shipping and transfer fee (Gun Broker). And I've seen unfired Series 70's for around a grand I think....
    Regards, T Bone.

Bought my slightly used 1991 Commander for $500 couple years ago. Love it!

I just started in guns in January (just turned 21) and picked up my first 1911 (Kimber Grand Raptor II). I quickly found that a Springfield TRP was begging to be brought home. But then the Colts started to look really lonely in the cabinet, but then i saw a SIG that was really very lonely too....

Me and my humanity, just trying to find good homes for everyone.
    "In God we trust, as for the rest of you... keep your hands where I can see them" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Amen. If my Officer's could read, the only dignified thing it could do is turn into a pile of iron oxide. Poor illiterate thing just eats everything, and shucks it out it's e-port.
    I had a Series 80 Officers model that never missed a beat.
    I sold it to buy a Series I Kimber (another great gun IMO), but I sure miss that Colt.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links