1911's

1911's

This is a discussion on 1911's within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Smith and Wesson Dan Wesson PTE-S Charles Daly EFS Kimber Ultra Carry II What’s the best out of the box. I hear Kimbers are the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1911's

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar

1911's

Smith and Wesson

Dan Wesson PTE-S

Charles Daly EFS

Kimber Ultra Carry II

What’s the best out of the box. I hear Kimbers are the best. But I have seen a couple of kimber’s that didn't seem right to me. Anyways I also hear everyone has to own a Colt, But to me. It is more of a status symbol more than anything. Because from what I hear. You have to have a Colt worked on by a good gunsmith for it to be a great gun.

I know Kimber’s, Dan Wesson, Springfield’s and a few others are very sought after guns. I know that STI'S are great guns, and also have the price tags to prove it. But they are more for competitions. But what is the best all around 1911's and why other than personal preference.

I am new to 1911's But I have to tell you I learn quick. I am going to test the 4. I just got. Three of the 4 are like new. The S&W is a shooter. Or it has been. The others feel and look new. I hear Charles Daly is low on the totem pole. But I have to tell you. It doesn't feel like it. Other than it is not my beloved stainless steel. I like this gun.

So hear are my observations.

For looks and feel: I like the Dan Wesson. It is a work of art. Nice sharp clean and tight workmanship. Engraving are flawless. Next is the Smith, Daly and kimber. What I don't like about the kimber is the blasted finish. It just seems a little rough to me. Not really bead blaster but maybe something else a little coarser. Where the Smith is really smooth, But the draw back to the Smith is that it scratches easier.

For the trigger action: I like the kimber It is a short throw before it fires. Next the Smith then Daly. The Daly doesn't really have a throw. It has a very short trigger. The Wesson has the longest throw of them all. I will probably have that looked at.

For trigger pull: The Smith is the lightest and smoothest. Then the Kimber, Wesson and Daly. 2nd Through 3rd are all very close.

For the slide action: The Smith feels very smooth rocking the slide back and forth. Then the Wesson, Daly and Kimber. This might not be fair to Kimber since it is an Ultra Carry model.

For user friendly: I like the Wesson. But wish it had an ambidextrous safety. The Daly has one and it looks much nicer than the pins showing. then the Kimber. I don't like the ribbing on the Smith. It is the hardest to get a good grip on to slide a round into the chamber.

Hopefully I will get out this week and see how they perform. It is going to be along day at the range.

Rocky

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Colt has straightened out it's problems and may again be the best buy dollar for dollar of them all. My new Commander has worked absolutely flawlessly from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    Colt has straightened out it's problems and may again be the best buy dollar for dollar of them all. My new Commander has worked absolutely flawlessly from the start.
    I was more or less talking about the early model 70 series. I saw to new Colts that were awesome. They were a matching pair that had been worked over by a gunsmith. One was a Commander and the other was a standard 5" They looked almost like the guns from "The Punisher movie" without the compensators.

I'll take those VZ grips off the S&W if you don't like them!
    Seriously, get those funky chunky rubber things off that Kimber so you can get a good grip! That's one of the nicest things about a 1911.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator
    The Chas Daly have investment cast frames and slides rather than being machined from bar stock. That is why they are less expensive. Just FYI.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

1943 - 2009
    Because from what I hear. You have to have a Colt worked on by a good gunsmith for it to be a great gun.
    Well, you heard wrong.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    I got a Lightweight Stainless Commander last January, and it's great, except the factory mags. Look like they came out of a Cracker Jack box. What did yours come with?

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Pure Kustom View Post
    Because from what I hear. You have to have a Colt worked on by a good gunsmith for it to be a great gun.
    I am so glad my Colt's can't read to learn how bad they are.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by OD View Post
    I am so glad my Colt's can't read to learn how bad they are.
    Amen. If my Officer's could read, the only dignified thing it could do is turn into a pile of iron oxide. Poor illiterate thing just eats everything, and shucks it out it's e-port.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    The Dan Wesson 1911's are about the most 1911 for the money going for a semi-custom pistol. Its been outstanding in every way.

My Colt Commander has never had any issues of any kind.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Amen. If my Officer's could read, the only dignified thing it could do is turn into a pile of iron oxide. Poor illiterate thing just eats everything, and shucks it out it's e-port.
    Now that's funny.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

So what is a great Colt? 70 series? 80 series? 1991's?

Ahh, names I recognize in this thread.
    I love my Kimbers and my DW and until my Fusion arrives, they are the pistols I carry day in and day out. I can't think of much to improve them. I've had Colt's in the past and kick myself every once in a while for letting them go over time (especially the Gold Cup). The only 1911 that it didn't bother me to let go was an S&W Champion that I bought new in '95. I had some trouble with it and haven't looked back after selling it.
    So many choices, so little money. I may have to put the wife and kids on half rations for a year or so.
    Sarge43
    Sarge's Grips - grips that fit
    www.thefinergrain.com

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Another great bang-to-buck ratio 1911 is SigSauer's offerings. Most of the most popular mods, zero MIM, and still usually for sale for under a grand.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I have a SIG GSR. It needed a trip back to the factory for replacement springs and extractor tuning, but it has been perfect since then and it is a tack driver. SIG paid for it all, of course, and turned it around in under three weeks back in September.

I am just about to go ahead and add a Fusion Scout 9mm 1911 kit to my collection and finish it out myself, so hopefully in a month or two I can give everybody a range report on that one!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links