Range reports here

Range reports here

This is a discussion on Range reports here within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok guys... FIRST........I HATE that WALTHER P22...........I would suggest to NEVER buy one.. My Son Steve, shot his Walther tonight (the one I bought him ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range reports here

Range reports here

Ok guys...
    FIRST........I HATE that WALTHER P22...........I would suggest to NEVER buy one.. My Son Steve, shot his Walther tonight (the one I bought him for Christmas) The gun is a real POS... ...I hate to say bad things BUT out of 50 rounds of Rem yellow jackets............25 were FTF or FTE.. NOT a good thing........we tried CCI........and the same thing happened........Bringing it back and throwing it at em.. . I'm gonna get him a Ruger MKII K512 like i knew I should have...........
    Now.........the Ruger was shot, utilizing 38 wadcutters (yawn) and they woked flawlesly of course.. He (Steve) shot the 357 Mags and was quite surprised in the differnece of the loads. LOL.....shocked him.. he was hitting the bull..........in real good shape and shot the heck out of the gun...
    The Sig 226 shot flawlessly, with no FTF or FTE in 200 rounds........groups were minimal with the widest span being 3 inches at 50 ft..typical for the Sig.. but exceptional weapon to say the least..
    Steve shot the Kimber Pro CDP........and yes...........loved it to say the least........NO FTF or FTE..........he mentioned that the grips could be slightly smoother due to them biting his palms.........suggested rubber or gripper grips to accomodate the recoil of the God Dot ammo..BTW.......I sat back, listened to his remarks from his perspective (he's 15 yrs old) Gave me GOOD input for somebody his age.........he also shoots the heck outts all my stuff........so he's well versed in weapons for his age
    He also shot the Glock 29 and K&K USP Compact 10MM and 40 S&W respectively..
    Out of everything he shot...........the Sig and Kimber impresesed him the most......witht he HK USP and finally the Glock bringing up the rear........(the Glock bit into his hands) From his perspective....the Glock's grip frame is slightly awkward but the sig feels at home in his hands along with the Kimber..The Ruger rode up on his hands and was a bit uncomfy in 357 mag LOL but he shot it
    I wanted to give you a report, based on another Shooter's perspective, and not my own.....Thus, and unbiased opinion, especially from the younger voices coming through the ranks!
    Attached Images
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Thanks for a greast report. Sorry about the P22. I'm sure you're real proud of your son. It's wonderful to see the youngsters enjoying firearms and performing so well with them. Give him my best wishes.

Sorry about the Walther.. Other than that sounds like ya had a good time shootin

Lead Moderator
    Heard some complaints about hr P22's. Good to get out and shoot with your kid though. Some of the best times I have is taking my kids out plinking. brings the fun back into shooting, instead of just training.

I wish my Dad had been that involved in handgunning when I was 15! He had a cheapie SA .22 but that's all. You're saving him a TON of money in trial and error purchases, trust me! LOL

Great to see the next generation of shooters coming along so well. I wonder how many folks he'll be able to interest in the shooting sports. ;-)
    Jack

Lead Moderator
    Sorry to hear about the bad luck with the Walther. Glad to hear your 226 works as well as mine does........ Probably better in younger hands!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    too bad about the Walther, mine works very well unless dirty but I look at it like this, it's a trainer and you can train a young person on clearing jams, etc. Beyond training and plinking can's it's not really worth much for any use. I have a limited edition with both barrel sizes, a case, etc. I'm thinking of traking it in towards another weapon but the main gun shop in my area is a total rip off on any trade-in. They have a huge attitude becasue they know they're about the only show in Cape Girardeau Missouri that has any selection. I agree that's worth something but they think it's gold!

I've always felt bad trading guns though, felt like I was giving up a child or something

Still, I'd love to get an SA Micro Compact in .40 and this trade could help a little....

God Bless

Gideon

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    .witht he HK USP and finally the Glock bringing up the rear........(the Glock bit into his hands)

That's really the main thing I have against glocks is the grip. The backstrap feels 'non-ergonomic.'
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Assistant Administrator
    Great stuff Bob! Your boy is getting to experience many platforms, which is good.

Not that surprised re the Walther - I honestly have yet to hear many glowing reports on those, tho supposedly the later ones had ironed out the feed issues. yep - a MkII or even, consider the 22/45 - which IMO has better grip angle and the controls are more conventional.

The 226 - flawless - well of course Nice eh - and no wonder Steve liked it. I put a bunch of ammo thru mine today - since I realized what had been the prob with it weeks ago - it is totally on song and rockin'.

Good session it'd seem. Good job.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I agree on the 226, what else did you expect.

Also a 22/45 would be nice. I need another one of them myself.

Guys.....I'm bringing the Walther back to the store tomorrow (Sunday) gonna try to work out the bugs ........but either way........I have placed a LNIB Browing Buckmark 5.5 inch BBL on hold............for 250.00 (really not a good deal, but I wanna see how Steve (my Son) likes the feel of the gun..
    Secondly.........I also have a ANIB Ruger KMK512 22 on hold too.......stainless with all accys and boxes...........they retail at the store for 389.95.........this one's out for 265.00........I'm also considering the 22/45 due to Chris' input and opinion on the weapon, as it's similar to the 1911 grip angle....then my discount applies to both guns..making them even more afforable........should I move on em.
    How do you feel about either one of the above guns? (I prefer the Ruger as it's more expensive and they've always worked)
    Any input is MOST appreciated.. Thanks
    Bob

Buy the Ruger Fire and forget it in 2 years im over 15K with nothing but a cleaning everynow and hen

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    Buy the Ruger Fire and forget it in 2 years im over 15K with nothing but a cleaning everynow and hen
    I agree with ya Bud........Rugers never fail.. that Browning looks ANIB too........ but it seems the ruger's callin gout to me.......LOL............

Assistant Administrator
    Bob - a guy I shoot pins with got himself and his wife a Buckmark and now they are well shot, in they seem first class. So in reliability stakes a very reasonable choice.

I do think tho in the longevity stakes the Ruger will keep on runnin' longer.

One point with the Ruger - meaning here the 22/45 - I did change the extractor to a Volquartsen - the slightly sharper and better angled item, which cured my occasional extract hiccups - so I think it is a worthwhile addition. Otherwise Ruger takes the choice for me.

Oh - small point - the slide release and safety ''buttons'' on the Ruger are very sharp edged - quite manageable but an irritation which, if I did a total strip down, I would put to rights.

Think you've seen this Bob - but my Ruger with a Bushnell Trophy red dot on So-Low mounts and added comp. ..............

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

That's a VERY COOL setup ya got Chris!! Might just go that way as you'r picture of the 22/45........my Son (Steve ) has to agree on it, as it's going to be his gun..
    Hopfully, I'm starting him out the right way...........and so far, I'm seeing him take on some really good responsibility on safe handling and shooting procedures.
    Ohh BYW........he went to the Store with me, and was handling the in-stock M1 Garands, (he's in Jr ROTC right now) and loves the darn things......I can see the DCM in his future

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links